You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-06 23:49:15

heleos

Rox-filer

I really like how fast rox-filer is. I like PCmanfm, but it doesn't seem to be very stable, and crashes a lot. I'm trying to stay away from DE-specific file managers, so I don't really want to use thunar/nautilus/konqueror/etc. I'm using fluxbox and rox-filer seems to fit pretty well, just one small problem. Is there a way to get a back button working? I have a logitech G5 and I use the back button on the mouse constantly. Rox has the up-directory button, but doesn't have a specific back button, so my mouse button doesn't work. Is there a way to configure rox-filer so it works?

or, if anyone has any other file managers, I'd like to give them a shot too.

#2 2007-06-07 04:07:28

xelados
Website

Re: Rox-filer

I just took a look through rox and I didn't see any method for a back button on the GUI or through the mouse, so I think you're out of luck there. sad

#3 2007-06-07 20:35:22

pauldonnelly

I think they left out that feature for a reason (mind you, I'm not saying it was a good idea, just that it was intentional).

#4 2007-06-07 21:16:09

Millzee

Even though it is environment-specific, I remember Thunar fitting very well with FVWM (though I can't speak for Konqueror outside KDE or Nautilius at all) and it had none of the gripes I had with Rox-Filer. If your problem with an environment-specific browser would be integration then I would recommend giving it a twirl.

Arch64 and KDE 4.1.3 on an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core:
8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb HDD, GeForce 9800 GTX+

#5 2007-06-08 16:37:04

mac57
Website

I am running Arch and an XFCE4/Rox combo as my window manager and desktop. Rox is truly fast and stable compared to Thunar, and you will find the Rox desktop to be a lot faster than the XFCE4 desktop as well.

To use Rox as your desktop with XFCE4, do the following:
1/ Copy XFCE4's startup file (xinitrc) to your own ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc. You wil find the stock XFCE4 xinitrc file at /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc. If an xinitrc is present at ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc, XFCE4 will use it in favor of the stock one. Hence, making changes to a local copy is safe and effective.

2/ Comment out the whole section that launches xfce4-session. On the current version in the Arch repository, that is lines 75-88.

3/ Comment out the xsetroot line right below it.

4/ Comment out the xfdesktop and orage lines. This stops XFCE4 from launching its desktop and its calendar.

5/ At your discretion, you may wish to comment out or delete the large section just above this that searches for stuff in the Desktop autostart directory. I deleted the whole set myself, since I did see some XFCE4 stuff in there. With the current version of XFCE4 in the Arch repository, that is lines 112-141.

6/ Immediately below the commented out lines for xfce4-desktop and orage, add in the following:

rox --pinboard=my-desktop

7/ That is it! You are done. Save this and restart X. This will vary from config to config. I have my Arch boot up to just the command line - don't use XDM, GDM, KDM or any of those graphical managers. So, for me, I just type "startx" and that restarts X. For the graphical managers, I am not sure, since I don't use them.

This should come up with the XFCE4 panel in place and a single folder on an otherwise blank desktop, called "home". If you single click that, you will see a Rox filer window open. Right click anywhere on open desktop and you will see a menu. One selection is Backdrop. Use this to set wallpaper. Looking better already, right?

The stock Rox icon theme is just plain ugly. Change it to something nicer by right clicking on open desktop, select Rox-Filer from the menu, and then Options. Select Types, and change the icon theme from there. My favorite is Noia, a nice stylized blue theme. It doesn't come with Rox by default, but you can get it at:

http://art.gnome.org/search.php?search_ … h_type=all

Good luck! Enjoy Rox - it is great desktop and a fast and stable file manager all in one.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

Board footer