}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

#end.

/etc/libao.conf

default_driver=alsa10

I start alsamixer and try to adjust PCM volume, but it doesn't change the volume in mpd, flash clips in Opera or any other app like it should. So basically PCM does nothing.

I don't know the asound.conf syntax very well, but that's where i think the problem is. I searched this on arch wiki and alsa wiki but with no luck sad

Any ideeas?
Thanks!

PS: Deleting asound.conf or libao.conf is not a solution. Without libao.conf Flash clips in Opera crash, and without ipc_key_add_uid false in asound.conf mpd hangs.
I'm quite sure that there's some configuration that needs to be done either in the section "ctl.mixer0" or "pcm.dsp0" of asound.conf but i don't know exactly how.

Last edited by wooptoo (2007-09-28 16:44:01)

#2 2007-09-29 15:48:18

wooptoo
Website

Re: PCM not adjusting sound in apps

I forgot to mention: i have a Realtek ALC882 (Intel HDA) soundcard.
After a reboot the PCM controler seemed to disappear all together, and now i have no sound...
I deleted asound.conf for a temporary solution.

Any ideeas how to fix this?

Last edited by wooptoo (2007-09-29 15:49:14)

#3 2007-10-01 12:37:00

leo2501

hi! i have the same problem, i post this:
Wmix dockapp - ALSA. volume change dont

in here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=37843

with no answers tongue i think is the same related problem...

here's the post:

hi! i change my rig (new motherboard,cpu,videocard...) and i use wmix to change volume under fluxbox... but this motherboard onboard audio is high definition audio or something like that and i change volume in wmix and dont work like always, i can mute or down sliders but volume is the same... in the page
http://dockapps.org/file.php/id/58
says it can change volume for OSS or ALSA, but dont know how to switch between them, so it says:
"Can use a configuration file to control some of the features." but dont know where it is this conf file...

TNX!

so good luck to both of us!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 2007-10-01 17:37:35

hybrid

Yeah, it seems like the recent alsa-update has mixed some things (and controls) up again. I have a SB-Live Value (emu10k1) and after the last alsa-update the sound quality is poor and I can't get the microphone-/line-in to work anymore resulting in no sound when I watch TV.
ALSA is reallyl pissing me off, all the time they change controls and shit and nothing works, then you spend weeks on finding /etc/asound's and mixer that work and when you finally have a _half-way_ decent sound the next alsa-update screws you all over again.

Alright, as for your problems: try different mixer (I use alsamixer and aumix) because every mixer finds different controls among which are some that the other mixer does not find.
And try ever single mixer-control, the PCM control has never worked for me, it used to be wave,0 and 'wave surround',0 (for front speakers and the ones in the back) for me, now it's only 'wave surround' for both.
It's just an f-ing guessing game. Google, guess and try.

I'm so sick of that shit.

#5 2007-10-01 19:26:32

Mikko777

Well it aint that bad, although i have to admit that sometimes soundconfs seems to get a bit weird.

Heres mine using nforce2, everything works as usual for analog outs but since i use spdiff only i routed everything thru dmixer (for multiple sounds playing at once) then that to spdiff out thats the hw:0,2 part and finally all this is through softvol which you can control with the PCM slider in mixers. wink

I doubt that it gets more complicated than this, so maybe this helps you out ideawise.

#/etc/asound.conf start:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "softvol"   #make use of softvol
}
pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "softvol"
}
pcm.softvol {
    type            softvol
    slave {
        pcm         "dmixer"      #redirect the output to dmix (instead of "hw:0,0")
    }
    control {
        name        "PCM"       #override the PCM slider to set the softvol volume level globally
        card        0
    }
}
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    ipc_key_add_uid false # let multiple users share
    ipc_perm 0660 # IPC permissions (octal, default 0600)
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,2"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        rate 48000
    }
    bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
    }
}
ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card 0
}

#6 2007-10-01 19:54:50

Gullible Jones

Try using "Front" instead - Intel HDA (at least on my laptop doesn't use the normal Master/PCM setup.

#7 2007-10-03 19:02:33

wooptoo
Website

Mikko777: i tried your config, but with pcm "hw:0,0" instead of pcm "hw:0,2" and without the ipc_perm line (PCM slider seems to get stuck with it) but mixing still doesn't work. I have to stop mpd for flash clips sound to work, and after i close Opera, mpd refuses to play. So far your config is the only one which seemed to (almost) work for me. Thanks.

I got around this by using no config files and starting ESD at boot. I know ESD is outdated but it's the only thing that works well for now. I have to try PulseAudio too http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

#8 2007-10-03 19:11:43

Graziano

Do not know if it helps, but on the compaq at work

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation Unknown device 00c5
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 2400 [size=64]
        Memory at f0500400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at f0500600 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

I also have problems with mixer.
Solution is

options snd_intel8x0 ac97_quirk=2

in /etc/modprobe.conf

and all volumes went OK in mixer. Try to search on google for this.

Graziano.

#9 2007-10-03 21:10:55

Mikko777

wooptoo wrote:

Mikko777: i tried your config, but with pcm "hw:0,0" instead of pcm "hw:0,2" and without the ipc_perm line (PCM slider seems to get stuck with it) but mixing still doesn't work. I have to stop mpd for flash clips sound to work, and after i close Opera, mpd refuses to play. So far your config is the only one which seemed to (almost) work for me. Thanks.

I got around this by using no config files and starting ESD at boot. I know ESD is outdated but it's the only thing that works well for now. I have to try PulseAudio too http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

Glad to hear, Well i do get your problems too if I dont run mpd as my user... the permission line doesnt seem to work...

But mixing should work still, if you run mpd as your user does mixing then work?

#10 2007-10-04 20:19:29

wooptoo
Website

Mikko777: yes, it works, but i don't really like running mpd on my user.

Board footer