You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-14 09:55:04

axca

[SOLVED] xfce4 automounting problem on usb dev with utf8 encoded files

I have problem of auto mounting usb external drive contains utf8 encoded files under xfce4.
Using hal and dbus for usb device detection.
Heard that I need to add iocharset=utf8 under fstab or hal fdi configure files and tried them all but didn't work
usb devices with vfat always got mounted with default charset.
I found out that exo-mount is the one doing the actual mounting and that it is the one that cannot take all extra mounting options such as iocharset etc.
Have tried gnome to mount this hard drive and works find with nautilus option that let me set various mount options for each harddrive.
Is there any way to replace exo-mount with some other alternative mounting tools that work with thunar?
Any workaround will be helpful as long as I can mount my usb drives with prefer charset so that I don't have to guess all ???marked files.
Heard that xubuntu replaced that exo-mount with gnome-mount to handle drives with extra mount options such as iocharset.
but I am pretty new to configuring things and couldn't find the step by step instruction for this so please provide the complete solution.
Link to the pages that explain workaround would be nice as well.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by axca (2007-10-17 18:24:50)

Look up and move on.
Because you'll become jealous or frightened if you look to your sides or below you.

#2 2007-10-15 15:39:57

axca

Re: [SOLVED] xfce4 automounting problem on usb dev with utf8 encoded files

Found the patch for exo-mount so that it takes additional mount options HAL suggests.
https://bugzilla.altlinux.org/attachmen … ction=diff
Now my usb drive can be mounted with the proper charset.
Hope this patch helps others with similar situation as well!

Last edited by axca (2007-10-15 15:41:47)

Look up and move on.
Because you'll become jealous or frightened if you look to your sides or below you.

#3 2007-11-13 03:50:21

semson

Re: [SOLVED] xfce4 automounting problem on usb dev with utf8 encoded files

hi axca, i am pretty interested to know how you "make it works"? can you explain the steps a bit?

personally i avoid applying the patch myself, i just want to keep the system simple and stupid, so i am still looking for a way to use gnome-mount under xfce (no pmount, no exo-mount), can somebody help?

Board footer