You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-12 12:36:44

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

RESOLVED:Trouble unmounting USB pendrive from KDE desktop

I've been using Arch for about 6 months, and I never used a pendrive until now. Plugging it in gives a "new media detected what do you want to do?" prompt, which is nice. Then I get a nice icon on the desktop, which is great.
When I right click on the pendrive icon and go to "safely remove" I get a KDE glass-breaking crash which states "the device was successfully unmounted but could not be ejected."
I am using udev, hal, and fam. My fstab is very very simple, no entries for cdrom or floppy, only / and swap.

Last edited by Misfit138 (2007-06-13 23:43:55)

#2 2007-06-12 13:28:34

ralvez
Website

Re: RESOLVED:Trouble unmounting USB pendrive from KDE desktop

Well ... if you think of it the message is correct.
KDE unmounts the device but cannot eject it; you have to pull it out. If it was a CD, then it would eject, since there are mechanics in place that can be software controlled to do that. The same do not exit to unplug the USB pen. wink

R.

#3 2007-06-12 17:14:35

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Hmmm. I see your point, but I was not instructing KDE to eject, merely unmount wink
As I wear headphones, it is quite nerve wracking to see the error message with the glass breaking. I suspect I have something set up wrong or hal is not interfacing with KDE correctly.....or am I just being paranoid?
I don't remember my last distro doing this.

#4 2007-06-12 18:20:32

dienadel

I've the same problem. Dmesg output doesn't show errors at all. But all read/write operations are fine. ¿?

#5 2007-06-12 19:29:07

funkyou
Website

We had this one before at the KDEmod thread, here is the relevant info:

Its not an error message... When you remove the removable drive, kio_media_mounthelper will be executed which calls the script "kdeeject" in /opt/kde/bin... Then "eject" is executed by this script but obviously there is nothing to eject when removing an USB stick for example.

So thats the reason for this error... Maybe some other distros hacked kdeeject to handle this...

Last edited by funkyou (2007-06-12 19:30:05)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#6 2007-06-12 19:42:58

skottish
Forum Fellow

Funkyou,

There has been times with Arch that it worked, and others it didn't. I don't recall it ever working with KDEMod, but it was definitely working before.

#7 2007-06-12 21:34:08

rayjgu3

Misfit138 wrote:

As I wear headphones, it is quite nerve wracking to see the error message with the glass breaking.

i had to laugh here i dont wear headphones but i remember the fisrt time i heard that glass break i was jamming to some tunes & at a quiet point in the tune  KISH ,  man i jumped a bit it didnt take me long to change that sound
you could put an entry in /etc/fstab for usb then add icon for it to your desktop

#8 2007-06-13 04:21:25

jbromley

I am having this problem with a 2007.05 installation and KDEmod. I use openSUSE on another laptop and I know that this can work properly. It seems to have something to do with user privileges, as if I run the eject command done by the kdeeject script, it works properly and doesn't show the "can't eject" message.

Since on my machine my user is a member of the wheel group and members of this group can do sudo without a password, I just put sudo in front of the eject call to solve the problem. I know this is a bad workaround, but I'm the only one who uses this machine and it isn't a public server of any type, so I think it'll be OK.

My preliminary investigation indicates that it is not the kdeeject script that is problematic. I ran the script from openSUSE line by line by hand on my Arch machine and the problem isn't in the script but in eject itself. This leads me to believe it is either something to do with privileges (as mentioned above) or with the version of eject. I will look into this on my openSUSE machine to see if I can see any differences.

Regards,
jbro

#9 2007-06-13 04:40:09

jbromley

OK, I think I solved it. It turns out that when udev creates a mount point, say for your USB, it is owned by root:disk. I added my user to the "disk" group and now "safely remove" unmounts the device and "ejects" it without any errors.

Regards.

#10 2007-06-13 07:24:57

dienadel

jbromley wrote:

OK, I think I solved it. It turns out that when udev creates a mount point, say for your USB, it is owned by root:disk. I added my user to the "disk" group and now "safely remove" unmounts the device and "ejects" it without any errors.

Regards.

that sounds great. I'll test it back in home

#11 2007-06-13 12:45:40

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

rayjgu3 wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

As I wear headphones, it is quite nerve wracking to see the error message with the glass breaking.

i had to laugh here i dont wear headphones but i remember the fisrt time i heard that glass break i was jamming to some tunes & at a quiet point in the tune  KISH ,  man i jumped a bit it didnt take me long to change that sound
you could put an entry in /etc/fstab for usb then add icon for it to your desktop

LMAO tongue

Bromley, thanks for your fix, I will gpasswd -a misfit disk when I get home.

#12 2007-06-13 14:05:06

tcmdvm
Website

I just tried your fix and it didn't improve any. I am using kdemod. Sometimes it unmounts with no errors and then again it errors. Even with the error, it seems to be reading and writing OK. It just annoying to hear the breaking glass.

#13 2007-06-13 17:50:26

dienadel

dienadel wrote:
jbromley wrote:

Regards.

that sounds great. I'll test it back in home

It worked! yeah! :-) thanks

#14 2007-06-13 19:48:02

jbromley

tcmdvm wrote:

I just tried your fix and it didn't improve any. I am using kdemod. Sometimes it unmounts with no errors and then again it errors. Even with the error, it seems to be reading and writing OK. It just annoying to hear the breaking glass.

Hmmm. Did you check out the file /etc/group to be sure that your user name had been added to the "disk" group? Did you log out and then log back in to make your user's membership in the group active?

You are right, reading and writing are fine, but that shattering glass sound and the extra dialog you have to click away are really annoying. It's odd that you same it works some times. When you do get an error, what exactly does it say?

To get more information you might try doing

eject <device>

from a console prompt instead of using "Safely Remove". This is basically what the kdeeject script does. For <device> use the real device node, i.e. if you have a symlink to a real /dev device, use the target, not the symlink. If it fails it will usually dump a little more diagnostic info to the console. For <device> you may also use the dynamic mount-points that are created in the /media directory when the drive is mounted automatically. You may even be able to run kdeeject directly from the console to get the same information, but I'm not sure.

Regards,
jbro

#15 2007-06-13 23:45:37

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

gpasswd -a username disk

Worked perfectly, bromley, Thanks!
You have no idea how such a simple little thing can be so annoying, yet so gratifying to find a resolution with the help of experienced users like you. I appreciate it much.
cool

#16 2007-11-22 12:10:30

Schrauber

Hi,

I have this problem with my cardreader.
For USB-Sticks adding my user zu group storaged worked perfect.

But for the cardreader not. My cardreader ist unter /dev/mmcblk, the group is root. Adding my user to root did not work. Also, I tried editing the udev.rules, so that the cardread becomes group storage did not work.
Also user root can not eject the volume.

Any ideas?

Regards

Board footer