You are not logged in.

#101 2008-01-02 16:40:23

stylopath

Re: netcfg2 is now in [testing]

Does the name of your network contain Spaces ( " ")?
I had the same error with netcfg once, and it was the name of the access point.

There is a way to pass these spaces, but you could also try another name for the AP.

#102 2008-01-02 21:29:37

nesrecar

Module: ipw2200

Works like a charm. Tested unencrypted with OpenVPN (post and pre launchers).

Hopefully netcfg2 goes stable soon smile

Public Key 0x24685E35 available from any key server you trust.

IRC: ssimon/Nesrecar

#103 2008-01-02 21:53:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

stylopath wrote:

Does the name of your network contain Spaces ( " ")?
I had the same error with netcfg once, and it was the name of the access point.

There is a way to pass these spaces, but you could also try another name for the AP.

This is netcfg2, it can handle networks with spaces in their name. It is a complete rewrite of netcfg.

mephisto: Soon, just waiting for the new initscripts.

coby: It needs to be EITHER wpa-config OR wpa. Both have slightly different sets of options, look at the example configs.

What driver are you using?

#104 2008-01-02 22:23:09

coby

i tried both and i tried already different examples with my settings

some settings seems to connect but then disconnect and the whole try fails

wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:15:0c:24:29:1a
wlan0: RX authentication from 00:15:0c:24:29:1a (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP 00:15:0c:24:29:1a
wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:15:0c:24:29:1a (capab=0x451 status=0 aid=1)
wlan0: associated
wlan0: deauthenticate(reason=3)

google cant help me with deauthenticate(reason=3)

i am using iwlwifi and wlwifi-4965-ucode from core...
is this driver incompatible with the x64 kernel?

greetz

edit: my ssid is "wlan" no space or extrakeys

Last edited by coby (2008-01-02 22:40:09)

#105 2008-01-02 22:31:11

stylopath

iphitus: At the beginning of the Thread i have seen (or at least i believe that) that you told someone to replace the spaces by an Alias - I thought that does the trick on netcfg as well as netcfg2.
Shame on me if i'm wrong (and it seems like that).

Now that you're clearifying things i have a certain question about this:

Is netcfg2 able to handle AP names that are set with  = "an accespoint"?

If yes, i will immediately activate the testing repo and Syu smile

#106 2008-01-02 23:27:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

stylopath wrote:

iphitus: At the beginning of the Thread i have seen (or at least i believe that) that you told someone to replace the spaces by an Alias - I thought that does the trick on netcfg as well as netcfg2.
Shame on me if i'm wrong (and it seems like that).

Now that you're clearifying things i have a certain question about this:

Is netcfg2 able to handle AP names that are set with  = "an accespoint"?

If yes, i will immediately activate the testing repo and Syu :)

Yes, you can set ESSID="Some Wireless Network" (i've tested on the local library's network)

coby: Alright. What configs have you tried? Try with ipw3945 and see how that goes.

#107 2008-01-03 17:41:27

stylopath

I installed netcfg2 now but when i try to connect to a wpa-secured network i get the error:

wpa_supplicant did not start, possible configuration

My config-file is the following:

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=eth1
SCAN="no"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="Dlink"
KEY="myWpaKeyInPlainText"
IFOPTS="dhcp"
DHCP_TIMEOUT=20
TIMEOUT=20

It's the wpa-example in the examples folder.

do i have to touch my wpa_supplicant.conf or is "Secutiry=WPA" equal to "autowpa" in netcfg?

Beside that, for wired networks netcfg2 works great smile

#108 2008-01-04 10:10:34

coby

coby: Alright. What configs have you tried? Try with ipw3945 and see how that goes.

oh i solved the problem smile i have to comment out all settings in my wpa_suppllicant.conf

now its works smile thanks for your help smile

#109 2008-01-04 15:07:42

zenlord
Website

My laptop is equipped with an e100-ethernet-device and an iwl3945-wireless device. My configfiles are the following:

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=eth1
SCAN="no"
SECURITY="wep"
ESSID="VanHoutte"
KEY="myWepKeyInPlainText"
IFOPTS="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=15
CONNECTION="ethernet"
INTERFACE=eth0
SCAN="yes"
IFOPTS="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=10

Both are working, although I think I left this section in my rc.conf (now at work, so I can't check):

eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 eth1)

-> First I tried to get it to work in rc.conf, then I tried wicd and finally I used netcfg2, so my config probably isn't clean anymore. Am I right to comment these lines out in rc.conf? And can I remove 'network' from the DAEMONS-section, in favor of 'net-profiles'?

Zl.
/EDIT: is it or will it be possible to make the script check if the wireless device is enabled? And could the script be made to automatically run when the device is enabled with the hotkey? Since I'm new at linux on laptops (wireless, hotkeys etc.), this might be a silly question - a simple link to some sort of documentation on this would help me greatly!
/EDIT2: I found this (a script that automates the search for the correct net-profile upon execution) - I guess all I have to do is point my hotkey to the location of this script...

Last edited by zenlord (2008-01-04 16:38:24)

#110 2008-01-04 19:30:33

stylopath

Oh, i have forgotten to mention my network device: broadcom4310 (bcm43xx)

#111 2008-01-05 07:18:24

underpenguin

I'm getting weird output with a fairly standard config file:
If my wireless interface is not up, I get this when i run
sudo netcfg2 profile

:: profile up  - Could not set wireless configuration                   [FAIL]
[ben@hoth ~]$ less request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

if i then enable wlan0 in rc.conf and restart network, i get

[ben@hoth network.d]$ sudo netcfg2 princess
:: profile up                                                           [BUSY]
iwconfig: unknown command "<MYWEPKEY>"
                - Could not set wireless configuration                   [FAIL]

I don't know why it is interpreting my wep key as a command.

here is my config:
CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="blahWireless"
INTERFACE="wlan0"
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wep"
ESSID="<MYESSID>"
KEY="<MYKEY>"
IP="dhcp"

only alphanumeric characters

Unless i'm mistaken, it actually still worked when i ran it the last time, but i'm not sure.
Any help?

EDIT: Due to the fact that I am a total moron, I decided to try to use WEP encryption with my WPA key. So, I'm assuming that is the cause of the encoding problem, and I have wireless work fine. Whatever caused the WPA key to be interpreted as a command, though, I assume should still be looked into.

Last edited by underpenguin (2008-01-05 19:04:02)

#112 2008-01-06 09:21:34

iphitus
Forum Fellow

stylopath: That's a really odd one. On a clean boot, try and connect, and then post the /tmp/wpa.* files. You'll need to censor your key out of them.

zenload, stylopath: It should be IP="dhcp" not IFOPTS="dhcp". IFOPTS is only neccesary for static (presently).

zenlord: Yes, once you have your networks setup in netcfg2, you can remove the old network config from rc.conf.

netcfg v2.0.3 is up, though I'll post a new thread for that. It's got fancy wireless detection support too that does what you want zenlord.

details and new thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41897

#113 2008-01-31 19:33:35

jbromley

Hello all,

I am trying out netcfg2 on my Dell Inspiron 9300 with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG using ipw2200 and I am having trouble connecting. The only output I get from netcfg2 is:

:: home-wifi up                                                     [BUSY]
 Daemonize..
                 - Wireless association failed.                      [FAIL]

This is odd as the connection works fine if I use wpa_supplicant, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and dhcpcd to set up the connection manually. I have tried using both SECURITY="wpa" and SECURITY="wpa-config"  and neither works. There is nothing special about my setup. The only thing that could be a potentional problem is that my WPA passphrase contains both a '#' and a '$'. The full details of my configuration can be seen at http://pastebin.archlinux.org/25207.

I trying to get a very lightweight system going and if this works it would be great.

Thanks and regards,
j

#114 2008-02-03 04:09:56

kilolima
Website

Hey all,

I can get netcfg2 to work from the commandline, and it's great!  However, I can't get wireless to work at boot.  In /etc/nework.d I have 3 profiles: wep, open, and ethernet.

In my rc.conf I have:

eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0 wlan0)
NETWORKS=(auto-wireless wlan0 ethernet)

and under daemons is (syslog-ng hal net-profiles @crond) but not network.  Do I need network?

cheers,

kilolima

#115 2008-02-03 18:06:18

kant1

So I just installed netcfg2 from testing on my Asus EEE pc.  So far I like it.  I've read all the documentation I could get my hands on, and I have a few questions.  Would someone be kind enough to answer me, please?

1. Eventually this package should replace the current networking scripts.  That means network-profiles goes away, and NET_PROFILES in /etc/rc.conf, and so forth.  Am I understanding this correctly?

2. netcfg2 has examples for "lo", "eth0".  What is the preferred /etc/rc.conf layout to use netcfg2?  Should I remove everything from INTERFACES and ROUTES?  I think I should leave HOSTNAME. Should I remove the "network" daemon from DAEMONS?

3. I wonder if the example files should have permissions 600 since people will be copying them and writing passkeys inside.  Just a thought.  Valid?

4. I have my default profile specified in NETWORKS in /etc/rc.conf.  On bootup, my preferred WPA network connection doesn't work: "Network attachment failed", or something like that (flashes by really fast).  When I log in, though, I type "netcfg2 home" and the interface comes up <10 seconds, no problem.  Is there a reason it wouldn't work during bootup?

5. Where can I find a brief description of what netcfg-auto-wireless does?  (Just a high-level view).  Does it look through your profiles to find one to work?  Or does it look for the strongest wireless connection in the area and connect?  Can it connect to unsecured networks?

If there is documentation that answers my questions, please kindly point me in the right direction.

Thank you all for more excellent software and all the testing and support.  I really appreciate it.

#116 2008-02-03 19:46:44

Tigertailz

Mine doesnt really work I get Wireless association failed.

If I do
$iwconfig ath0 essid krika nick T21
$dhcpcd ath0

i get connected just fine.

Here ar my settings
-------------------------rc.conf-------------------------------------------
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255"
WLAN_INTERFACEC=(ath0)
#eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
#NET_PROFILES=(main)
NETWORKS=(auto-wireless $interface)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------network.d/krika--------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION="Default Network Profile"
CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=ath0
HOSTNAME=myhost
IFOPTS="dhcp"
DHCP_TIMEOUT=15
SCAN="yes"
ESSID="krika"
SECURITY="none"
IWOPTAS="mode managed essid $ESSID"
IP="dhcp"

Im using the madwifi-ng drivers patched to support packet injection

#117 2008-02-04 01:36:49

SpookyET

What's so hot about netcfg2? Why reinvent the net (wheel is a cliche)? What's wrong with NetworkManager?

#118 2008-02-04 02:21:50

scottro
Website

Well, NetworkManager is a Gnome thingie, isn't it?  Suppose you don't want to boot into X?

To the developers--I had to laugh today.  I did a fresh installation of Arch.  (I haven't had a chance to use it for awhile.)  I included testing and updated.

Then I went to the Wiki, as I've gotten used to Arch's excellent docs and saw the thing on netcfg2.  However I had no network.d, no docs, no netcfg2.  I posted on the forums, checked the wiki again, and did one more pacman -Syu.  Lo and behold, it was all there and worked as it should.

One possible future feature request (say that 5 times fast).  At present, it takes the standard ASCII password, but for fun, I tried to put in the hex key produced by wpa_passwd.  The network.d/<profile> wouldn't accept it.  It would be nice if it would.

However, it's a minor thing--it works quite nicely for me.  (Oops, hit the wrong key and it got posted before it was done.)

I wanted to say, it reminds me of why I like Arch so much--unfortunately, my new job gives me far less flexiblity in what I use and little time at home to use what I want to use.  :-(

Last edited by scottro (2008-02-04 02:22:51)

#119 2008-02-04 08:21:16

kant1

I made a couple changes to the ppp.subr file.

First of all, /usr/sbin/pppd doesn't allow a profile name with slashes or dots in it.  So lines 3 and 6 changed accordingly.

Next, the pid file made with the "linkname" option ends in ".pid", and on my machine (ppp 2.4.4-6), the pid file has the pid on the first line and the interface name on the second.  Thus, line 15 changed.

#! /bin/bash
ppp_up() {
    [[ -z "$PEER" ]] && PEER="provider"
    [[ -z "$PPP_TIMEOUT" ]] && PPP_TIMEOUT=30

/usr/sbin/pppd call $PEER updetach child-timeout $PPP_TIMEOUT linkname $PEER

if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
       err_append "pppd connection failed"
       exit 1
    fi
}

ppp_down() {
    kill $(head -1 /var/run/ppp-$(basename $PEER).pid)
}

ppp_clean_scope() {
    unset PPP_PEER PPP_TIMEOUT
}
# vim: set ts=4 et sw=4:

#120 2008-02-04 13:21:26

SpookyET

scottro wrote:

Well, NetworkManager is a Gnome thingie, isn't it?  Suppose you don't want to boot into X?

Yeah, it is. But, there is a command line interface at google summer of code projects.
One could certainly help with that instead of reinventing the wheel. So, there must have been a reason to reinvent it.

The problem is that netcfg2 and NetworkManager cannot be run at the same time. netcfg2 uses "network". The other one uses "dhcpd, NetworkManager." Those daemons cannot be run concurrently. So, you can't have a gui and a CLI network management. You have to choose one or the other.

#121 2008-02-04 15:24:42

stylopath

What's so hot about netcfg2? Why reinvent the net (wheel is a cliche)? What's wrong with NetworkManager

On my notebook (HP nx6325 with Broadcom4310 and B43-driver) NetworkManager very often fails to associate (with ndiswrapper this problem is gone). Thery is also no gui for changing profiles really (you can only enter new passwords if the given doesn't work), you cant set priority's which network to use (at least i didn't find that option), static-ip (which is supposed to work now,i think) was a mess a long time, as well as a good way to control networkmanager without X.

To Iphitus: With proper profiles it really works like a charm. But didn't any version of netcfg2 have the function to remember the chosen profile and deactivating it when you switch to another one? This seems to be missing- Without that i wouldn't have to shutdown eth0 manually every time i switch to wireless.

Another one: Is any feature like the "old"  "netcfg --menu" also planned? Or is it even implemented already?

And the last one: It seems like "netcfg-auto-wireless wlan0" doesn't bringt up the Interface before scanning. With the driver "b43" the device needs to be up before it is able to scan, so it always fails.

Everthing else works like a charm, thank you for your work!

#122 2008-02-04 15:33:03

scottro
Website

I see your point, and it's not a bad one.   However, without pretending to speak for the developers, this was quick, easy and works well.   

I'm just not a big fan of NetworkManager, (personal prejudice, and can safely be ignored) so although this is just my own feeling, I much prefer this.   

One nice thing about Arch is that it's pretty easy to use your own method for things like this.   I just like the idea of a simple shell script to do it all.  Again, my prejudice, and I'm not a developer, so all my comments can be ignored.  smile

#123 2008-02-04 15:36:27

stylopath

10 Minutes ago i reported that "netcfg-auto-wireless" doesn't work because it doesn't bring the interface up before scanning.   Inserting a "ifconfig wlan0 up" after row #69in /usr/lib/network/wireless.subr  did the trick for me smile

just to let you know...

#124 2008-02-04 15:41:54

stylopath

also, adding "all_down" at the beginning of the funktion profile_up() {} in row 84 makes netcfg2 bring the old profile down before connecting to a new one.

I guess this dirty hack will bring some other problems, but i don't know which ones. I'll play around with it a bit.

#125 2008-02-08 21:36:01

raul_nds

I know this isn't the place to ask this, but can anyone help me to set up a WPA Enterprise/TKIP/Certificate profile?

WPA is working fine here, but I need that setup to connect to my college's network.

Also, how can I have some feedback on the connection status? Like strenght, if it disconnected, etc? Maybe a frontend? Some sort of tray notifier?

PS: networkmanager MAY BE the worst lib ever written. Poor support, crashes every now and then, hangs, signal strenght is not accurate (ok now i'm just angry because is not working in my computer)

Last edited by raul_nds (2008-02-08 21:38:49)

Board footer