You are not logged in.

#276 2008-02-07 15:10:08

elbecko
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

stylopath wrote:

You run compiz on the eee? I always thought the eee would be much to slow for that!

I agree, but I can't stop using it. big_smile

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#277 2008-02-07 15:27:48

stylopath

I agree, but I can't stop using it.

does this mean that you are using a gnome-desktop with compizfusion and ~15 FPS ? wink
Or do you use xfce+compiz+ a minimal setting of desktopeffects?

As long as wobbly (i love it!), the cube and scale  work without flaws it would be very, very attracting because it just looks so cool on such a small pc :>

#278 2008-02-07 16:36:58

kant1

saten, hmm, following your instructions i get the same result.

could you please post or link to your xorg.conf?

are you using 915resolution? (i've commented it out of rc.conf)

what is the name and version of your intel driver? (mine is 2.1.1-2)

Last edited by kant1 (2008-02-07 17:03:24)

#279 2008-02-07 20:27:07

saten
Website

kant1 wrote:

saten, hmm, following your instructions i get the same result.

could you please post or link to your xorg.conf?

are you using 915resolution? (i've commented it out of rc.conf)

what is the name and version of your intel driver? (mine is 2.1.1-2)

i've used the intel driver from extra, now i'm using the one from testing, with same results.

this is my whole xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "GLcore"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "xtrap"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option    "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
#    DisplaySize     1440 900    # mm
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "NUL"
    ModelName    "M19W"
#    Mode        1440 900
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"               # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"             # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"           # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"               # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"# "i810"
        Option "LinearAlloc" "6144" #mplayer option
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
           Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
           Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes "800x480"
#        Virtual 1440 900
Virtual 1440 1380
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

i'm not using 915resolution.

#280 2008-02-07 21:02:43

elbecko
Website

DanielW's post reminds me that it happens to me too. (I've forgotten that because I rarely use this feature.:P) With kernel26eee, Fn+F2 stucks at rmmod in wlan.sh. With kernel26 (+eeemodules), it works.

I tried to execute commands in wlan.sh one by one from Konsole by hand, and found "wlanconfig ath0 destroy" segfaults. After that any accesses to ath0 fail and never return. That is, rmmod failure may be caused by wlanconfig.

I have no idea what affects wlanconfig's behavior, though...

#281 2008-02-09 09:39:33

IdoMcFly

Which kernel do you advice to use ? I've heard there are some problem with kernel26eee sad but it boots faster :-/

Last edited by IdoMcFly (2008-02-09 18:20:04)

#282 2008-02-10 21:24:52

elbecko
Website

IdoMcFly wrote:

Which kernel do you advice to use ? I've heard there are some problem with kernel26eee sad but it boots faster :-/

I think you already have enough information to decide it yourself. Choose the one you think will meet your needs better. If you still hesitate, then try BOTH. big_smile

#283 2008-02-12 00:15:02

snozle

jochen wrote:

For suspend I replaced the file /etc/acpi/suspend2ram.sh provided by acpid_eee with the following lines:

#!/bin/bash
BRN=`cat /proc/acpi/asus/brn` 
/usr/sbin/s2ram -f --vbe_post --vbe_mode
sleep 1
echo -n "$BRN">/proc/acpi/asus/brn

Wifi connectivity is there immediate after resume.

You need to install uswsusp (from aur) for this to work.

Did you add those lines to the file? Because when I replaced the entire file suspend doesn't even work at all anymore. I installed uswsusp by the way.

shrd wrote:

wicd has problem with suspend / resume : dhclient is called very late after resume => solved with the last suspend2ram.sh with s2ram (no need of wlan.sh call include in original suspend2ram.sh)

How exactly did you solve this I don't understand quite what you did.

Last edited by snozle (2008-02-12 00:19:47)

#284 2008-02-12 17:48:38

faelar
Website

No problems for updating to kernel 2.6.24.1-2 ?
And something else, on my eeepc X use a lot of memory. I have tried to disable Direct Rendering, not to load DRI, but it changed nothing...
If someone can test with the i810 driver to see how much ram did use the system (free -m --> 137 for me with the "default" configuration, 3 Xterms, Xclock and co...)

#285 2008-02-12 23:49:26

StayFrosty

faelar wrote:

It broke the eeemodules for me (well, duh they are complied for the 2.6.23 series kernels.)  I'm running kernel26eee right now but it's annoying as heck because it's hardlocking every time I try suspending or shutting down...almost like some module isn't taking kindly to being unloaded :-).  I'm going to do a complete reinstall tonight with an encrypted root (and encrypted /home on an sdhc card) and if there are not any updates by the time I get that far I'll learn how to roll my own kernel pkgbuilds and see if I can't get the bugs worked out that way.

#286 2008-02-13 00:46:14

snozle

StayFrosty wrote:
faelar wrote:

It broke the eeemodules for me (well, duh they are complied for the 2.6.23 series kernels.)  I'm running kernel26eee right now but it's annoying as heck because it's hardlocking every time I try suspending or shutting down...almost like some module isn't taking kindly to being unloaded :-).  I'm going to do a complete reinstall tonight with an encrypted root (and encrypted /home on an sdhc card) and if there are not any updates by the time I get that far I'll learn how to roll my own kernel pkgbuilds and see if I can't get the bugs worked out that way.

Have you successfully gotten your /home directory to automount upon resuming from sleep?

#287 2008-02-13 02:38:16

StayFrosty

snozle wrote:

Have you successfully gotten your /home directory to automount upon resuming from sleep?

I did before the reinstall (and before I encrypted it.)  It just worked  then.  Haven't tried since then yet...I just finished making a new eeemodules package for the 2.6.24 series.  I'll post back with info on how resuming goes.

If anyone is interested in the update pkgbuild it can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3clzxmvlddn.  Be warned that it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet so I can't be responsible if your eee goes up in flames or anything :-)

#288 2008-02-14 00:19:32

StayFrosty

snozle wrote:

Not yet.  I've determined the problem is in the ath_pci module...I think this is why the kernel26eee package also has suspend/shutdown/wifi toggle issues.  My next plan of attack is to try the new athk5 driver and the mac80211 stack.

#289 2008-02-14 11:42:27

vomix

It's maybe a dumb question... but, for those with /home on sdhc card, how do you unmount it properly at shutdown? 
I'm actually mounting it with rc.local.
I've tried to add eject and/or umount in rc.local.shutdown, but the system is complaining about busy device at shutdown, thus it can't unmount it properly.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

#290 2008-02-14 15:13:16

sveinemann

Why would you mount with rc.local?

#291 2008-02-14 16:45:19

elbecko
Website

It's intriguing that various EeePC-specific features don't work in the same manner despite that we all use same hardware and software (kernel, modules, ACPI-related tools, etc). Is that configuration issue?

Would someone please show *perfect* configuration files (rc.conf, wireless, network-profile/ files if used, and so on) as reference? Perfect means that all features are working flawlessly on one's EeePC with these configuration files. I'm especially interested in how ath_pci is loaded and ath0 is created in boot process with kernel26eee.

Please don't expose security-related information!! wink

edit: just fixed typo

Last edited by elbecko (2008-02-15 17:22:45)

#292 2008-02-14 16:50:54

zodmaner

elbecko wrote:

It's intriguing that various EeePC-specific features don't work in the same manner despite that we all use same hardware and software (kernel, modules, ACPI-related tools, etc). Is that configuration issue?

Would someone please show *pefect* configuration files (rc.conf, wireless, network-profile/ files if used, and so on) as reference? Perfect means that all features are working flawlessly on one's EeePC with these configuration files. I'm especially interested in how ath_pci is loaded and ath0 is created in boot process with kernel26eee.

Great idea!

I would really, really love to see such configuration. smile

#293 2008-02-14 18:04:47

snozle

elbecko wrote:

Would someone please show *pefect* configuration files (rc.conf, wireless, network-profile/ files if used, and so on) as reference? Perfect means that all features are working flawlessly on one's EeePC with these configuration files. I'm especially interested in how ath_pci is loaded and ath0 is created in boot process with kernel26eee.

+1 to that. Excellent idea. I suppose we could use dotfiles.org perhaps make a new user called archeee or something.

#294 2008-02-14 18:17:36

ise
Developer
Website

vomix wrote:

It's maybe a dumb question... but, for those with /home on sdhc card, how do you unmount it properly at shutdown? 
I'm actually mounting it with rc.local.
I've tried to add eject and/or umount in rc.local.shutdown, but the system is complaining about busy device at shutdown, thus it can't unmount it properly.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you put it into /etc/fstab. That's the normal place, where it should be added. Set it for mounting at startup and it will be unmount by shutdown automatically.

PS @all: Just get the confirmation for my eeePC. It is on the way to me big_smile  After the installation of Archlinux, I hope I can manage to contribute to this little eee-Archlinux-Community a little bit from a dev's point of view . wink

#295 2008-02-14 19:04:36

DanielW

Why don't you put it into /etc/fstab. That's the normal place, where it should be added. Set it for mounting at startup and it will be unmount by shutdown automatically.

This unmount at shutdown doesn't work correct with sd(hc) cards in the usb-cardreader. So it comes to a fsck at reboot ervery time. Why? I'm not sure.

Doing a sync, sleep 3,umount, eject, sleep 2    seems to work somehow.  (when having the sdhc mount in the fstab).

Take a look at this thread of the eee users forum for that:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=9304

That is very weird.   

And to get the suspend/resume thing working with a sdhc as /home  we had to use "usb persist"  a new kernel feature since kernel 2.6.23.   This feature as the says documention is made exactly for the problem with mounted filesystems on flash devices connect over usb.

The docmentation for that is here:

http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/lx … ersist.txt

But i didn't get this to work. I have CONFIG_USB_PERSIST=y in kernel config and the described "persist" nodes in /sys  are there. But i can not write a 1 into them.  echo 1 > /sys/.../.../persist works fine.  But the cat /sys/.../.../persist brings up a 0.   It doesn't really accept the 1.

So after every suspend/resume  the usb card gets a new /dev node (first it is /dev/sdb) after resume it is /dev/sdc,  while the mount still pointing to /dev/sdb. Usb persist does (eh sould) work around that through make this /dev/sdb node persist.

I don't know why that is not working. Would be really happy if someone from you could look into that.

As a interessting pointer:

The ubuntu guys in the eeeuser forum get that to work, they are using a somehow patched kernel where the patch does make something they are calling "make usb persist default". 

The thread in the forum is located at:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6585

I will look into that kernel tomorrow and eventualy will try that on my eeepc. 

But here i would be happy to, if someone from you will look into it, too.

DanielW

Last edited by DanielW (2008-02-14 19:06:29)

#296 2008-02-14 19:11:11

zodmaner

StayFrosty wrote:
snozle wrote:

I did before the reinstall (and before I encrypted it.)  It just worked  then.  Haven't tried since then yet...I just finished making a new eeemodules package for the 2.6.24 series.  I'll post back with info on how resuming goes.

If anyone is interested in the update pkgbuild it can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3clzxmvlddn.  Be warned that it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet so I can't be responsible if your eee goes up in flames or anything :-)

Thanks StayFrosty. smile I'll try this out tomorrow.

Also, could you please post  your PKGBUILD file for this package?

UPDATE: I've tried out your package, and both wireless, webcam seems to be work fine (I did not tried out the wired connection, though). Thank you StayFrosty! smile

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-14 21:03:51)

#297 2008-02-15 00:08:07

dkite

eeemodules for the kernel26 version 2.6.24.1-2 are available at http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

Derek

#298 2008-02-15 00:37:29

zodmaner

dkite wrote:

eeemodules for the kernel26 version 2.6.24.1-2 are available at http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

Derek

Thanks dkite! smile Will update the Wiki and add info about the new version. wink

UPDATE: Wiki updated. Also the package install & works fine on my Eee (as ever). smile

When are you going to post the package on AUR, dkite? smile

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-15 00:43:05)

#299 2008-02-15 11:18:38

faelar
Website

Hum... I needed to reboot with the .24 before using pacman -U on the pkg, else it complains about asus_acpi.ko or about a wrong path.
I didn't encounter any bug since... well, 5 min ? tongue
I'll tell you if something goes wrong.
Thank you again dkite smile

#300 2008-02-15 18:11:57

kant1

I've posted my package list and a few configs.  I can paste any others that are of interest.

http://mychael.gotdns.com/blog/2008/02/ … nux-setup/

Board footer