You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-16 21:33:45

Gruntz

System hangs when dragging something.

Hi everyone.

I have a strange problem with my arch, and I do not know what to do. I am using arch for an year now, and everything was fine, until I decided to reinstall my arch system. I installed it via ftp install. The problem is that whey I try to drag'n'drop something, the system hangs. The computer is not responding, ctrl+alt+backspace, ctrl+alt+del, nothing helps. Even the music star scratching on the same place, and I am forced to reboot using the power button. That happens when I try to drag'n'drop anything, a folder, a file, text in a text editor, even whey I try to customize the firefox buttons I have to drag them and the system hangs again. That problem happens not only when I try to drag'n'drop something. When I try to open Open Office, the system hangs again.

Is there anyone with similar problem? Is there a way to solve that? What can I do, how can I debug it?

Best Regards.

#2 2008-05-17 09:22:54

Gruntz

Re: System hangs when dragging something.

And something else. I noticed that that hang is happening only with gtk applications. I did not noticed that in the beginig, because I am using only gtk apps, but I installed GNOME and KDE ( with hope that this can help somehow ). When I am using GTK applications, the system hangs, whem I am using QT, the system is working properly.

Is there some kind of dependenc of GTK, or something more that I have to install?

Regards.

#3 2008-05-17 09:46:04

ProzacR

Yes I had similar problem. I removed everything what is related with 3D desktop effects and it helped.

#4 2008-05-17 09:51:34

Gruntz

I have no 3D desktop effects at all. I am using fluxbox, and I have only several installed appliations. Infact my videocard driver do not support 3D. No composite manager, nothing. Poor me... ;(

#5 2008-05-18 09:09:57

Gruntz

I solved the problem, with the help of cvludmiloff from linux-bg.org. The problem was in xorg.conf, and more exactly some of these options for the video device. I had these options:

Option "DisableIRQ" "true"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "ExaScratchSize" "8192"
Option "MaxDRIMem" "16384"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "PanelSize" "1024x768"

I removed them all and everything is now OK. Thank you everyone.

Have a nice day.

Board footer