You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-26 14:32:27

ljshap

[solved] Kernel 2.6.25 upgrade and autofs

Autofs is no longer working after the upgrade to the 2.6.25 Kernel and does not even create the /media directory.  My udev rules seem to be working since I still have the proper link nodes in /dev and can still manually mount my usb devices under /mnt using my udev rules.  When I run /etc/rc.d/autofs start (or restart) it shows "starting automounter" and the /media directory  but does not actually create it.  Before and after the upgrade, I did try to make sure all the pacnew files were merged.   

I thought that the *.pacnew files were created based on the old config file, but it was up to the user to merge them.  After this upgrade, the rc.conf.pacnew file seemed to be the rc.conf file you would get on a fresh install and totally ignored the settings I already had in rc.conf  for timezone, networking, modules and daemons.

Just wondering if other people had similar experiences or ideas.

Thanks

Larry

Last edited by ljshap (2008-05-27 01:10:14)

Live Free or Die !

#2 2008-05-26 17:22:00

pnil

Re: [solved] Kernel 2.6.25 upgrade and autofs

I had the same problem. You have to make sure the autofs kernel module is loaded.
Add autofs4 to the MODULES list in your /etc/rc.conf

To manually start it, do 'modprobe autofs4' and restart autofs

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Maybe the autofs start script should do a modprobe.

The cake is a lie

#3 2008-05-26 20:42:24

anrxc
Website

If it was builtin before maybe it was noted on mailing lists, or possibly will be noted in the next newsletter.

When I run /etc/rc.d/autofs start (or restart) it shows "starting automounter" and the /media directory  but does not actually create it.

Next time something like this happens you can check /var/log/daemon.log

automount[4852]: >> mount: unknown filesystem type 'autofs'
automount[4852]: failed to mount autofs path /var/autofs/net
automount[4852]: /var/autofs/net: mount failed!

Message like this suggests to check your /proc/filesystems, if autofs is not present then the problem/solution is obvious.

Btw I noticed that autofs update replaced my autofs.mics file, not fun, there is already a bug report one year old:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6418

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#4 2008-05-26 23:42:42

ljshap

anrxc wrote:

If it was builtin before maybe it was noted on mailing lists, or possibly will be noted in the next newsletter.

When I run /etc/rc.d/autofs start (or restart) it shows "starting automounter" and the /media directory  but does not actually create it.

Next time something like this happens you can check /var/log/daemon.log

automount[4852]: >> mount: unknown filesystem type 'autofs'
automount[4852]: failed to mount autofs path /var/autofs/net
automount[4852]: /var/autofs/net: mount failed!

Message like this suggests to check your /proc/filesystems, if autofs is not present then the problem/solution is obvious.

Btw I noticed that autofs update replaced my autofs.mics file, not fun, there is already a bug report one year old:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6418

I didn't check the daemon log  but did check the everything log and didn't see anything unusual.  I believe the boot messages indicated that it was loading OK, but it does scroll pretty fast.  After this update I made a copy of all messages during the pacman upgrade and did not see any messages pertaining to autofs or udev.  I also checked my 00.rules file and auto.media and everything seemed OK.  I only checked the recent bug reports and there was nothing applicable in recent reports.  This didn't happen with any other updates .  At least 2 people had the same exact problem, so I assume there might be others.

Thanks for the reply

Larry

Live Free or Die !

#5 2008-05-26 23:52:25

ljshap

pnil wrote:

I had the same problem. You have to make sure the autofs kernel module is loaded.
Add autofs4 to the MODULES list in your /etc/rc.conf

To manually start it, do 'modprobe autofs4' and restart autofs

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Maybe the autofs start script should do a modprobe.

Thanks for your reply.

I must be getting senile because I thought I responded about 15 minutes ago.  Ok well!

Putting autofs4 in the MODULES section worked like a charm.  I had autofs in DAEMONS but nothing in Modules.  Apparently both the module and daemon have to be loaded after the recent kernel upgrade. Don't know what caused the change but its working now.

Thanks again for your help!

Larry

Live Free or Die !

#6 2008-05-27 00:48:17

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Would you please mark this thread as solved?  That way others with autofs problems can find it.

Thanks.

Board footer