You are not logged in.

#51 2008-05-18 09:11:59

Madi

Re: X freezes (UNSOLVED)

hi
still no right solution for the random hard freezes of my system until now... the only helping thing is to boot with "maxcpus=1".
i tried to
- check memory: no errors with memtest
- update bios
- boot with acpi=off or pci=noacpi
- use several versions of nvidia-driver (from nvidia and repos), thought it might be a driver issue
- be up to date with repo-kernel, no update helped
- run without compiz-fusion, just arch with gnome or kde
- run fedora 8 (kde and compiz-fusion)
...nothing helped

i don't know if it's a freeze of x or kernel or whatever...
nothing works: no mouse, no MagicSysRq, no ssh, no ctrl+alt+del,... running applications seem to stop (e.g. internet radio: music stops)... only hard reset works!

after reading many threads it seems, that many people with different hardware and different distributions have random freezes without any logged error or the possibility to do anything except turn off/reset... (i thought it's a bug related to multicore processors because maxcpus=1 helps in my case, but i read some unicore systems freezes to...)

how can we/i help to fix this big bug(s)...?

Last edited by Madi (2008-05-18 09:21:14)

Athlon64 X2 3800+ EE ("maxcpus=1")/K9A Platinum(ATI RD580, SB600)/1GB RAM Dual-Channel/ASUS EN7600GT Silent/Archlinux  2.6.24.4-1 i686/gnome 2.22.1/nvidia 169.12-2/grub 0.97-12 dual boot WinXP/compiz fusion/emerald/every uptime pacman -Syu
...don't care about my english... just tell and I will try to explain what I mean...

#52 2008-07-26 18:37:35

thetrivialstuff

I am also having this exact issue. I am running wmii and the nvidia driver and the freezes seem to be caused by WINE + mplayer running together on the same desktop. It seems more likely to freeze when WINE is opening or closing a window while mplayer is playing. When it freezes, the mplayer window turns bright pink, which I assume means there's some kind of graphics/overlay/accelerator crash.

I can ssh into the box and kill X, but as many others have said, keyboard input is useless -- even alt+sysrq combinations are ignored.

I'm not running the latest kernel or X, so my report probably isn't very helpful.

I'm not sure if this related, but there's another X freezup bug that's caused by having two X consoles -- I had my system set up this way briefly so that my boyfriend and I could log in more easily than one of us going to a text console and using startx. I just set up a new computer for him with the latest Arch (most recent kernel, xorg, etc.). His system also did weird random freezups and keyboard lockouts with the two console setup, but he's got an ATI video card and totally different motherboard/cpu hardware from me.

~Felix.

#53 2008-09-24 18:04:32

hellknight

I also have a similar problem, X freezes randomly but mouse still works, and cpu goes to 100% after a while.
I own a laptop with a ATI graphic card and a pentium M processor, I use the xf86-video-ati driver for my Radeon.

I just find out a little while ago that this problem happened to me only when I don't have a specific USB devices connected. For example, if a turn on my computer with a USB mouse, everything works. Also tried with a USB modem (works) and a USB pen (doesn't work).
Unfortunately when X freeze I have no log to work with, I only know that it freezes after loading the radeon driver (it doesn't load the input devices drivers).

If someone could tell what I need to do to get usb debugging, I'll be glad to get some more information about this problem.

Last edited by hellknight (2008-09-24 18:04:50)

#54 2010-07-27 08:06:58

jknott

I have this problem with my new Sony Vaio with an ATI Radeon card.  When i hit ctrl+alt+f1 to kill X server, the pc craps out and i have to reboot.

#55 2010-07-27 11:22:29

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

jknott, this thread is two years old.  The information here is likely stale.  Please open a new thread for your own issue.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … Bumping.27

Closed.

Board footer