You are not logged in.

#1126 2008-10-14 10:57:25

aadeelnrx

Re: Arch on Eee PC

Im running my new 901 with the WLAN card of my old 701 so I figured I'd better post here.

The new 2.6.27 kernel's ath5k driver also supports the AR2425 chipset from the 701's wlan card, everythings seems to be working, except for wpa_supplicant. Maybe one of you has allready solved this but it seems to me as if running wpa_supplicant actually take down wlan0 which explains why it complains about not being able to find a suitable AP to conenct to.

Probelm solved.

Last edited by aadeelnrx (2008-10-14 11:07:50)

#1127 2008-10-14 11:40:54

toofishes
Developer
Website

Arkane wrote:

Works like a charm here as well.

I had to recompile mine (directly on my Eee ~) for Wine support etc, but was really surprised by how quick it was. Is is thanks to your minimal config?

If you are talking about the compile speed, then yes- it is quick because I only enable the modules/drivers needed to run on the Eee and don't build all of the other stuff you need for a kernel that can run anywhere. You would not have great success trying to run this kernel on another laptop or desktop.

Regarding ath5k- I compiled it in as a module to this kernel if people wanted to play around with it, but it might not be ready for primetime yet. Later on I might try and grab a newer version from compat-wireless and include that if upstream moves quickly.

#1128 2008-10-15 00:51:56

toofishes
Developer
Website

toofishes wrote:

Regarding ath5k- I compiled it in as a module to this kernel if people wanted to play around with it, but it might not be ready for primetime yet. Later on I might try and grab a newer version from compat-wireless and include that if upstream moves quickly.

Played around with ath5k tonight. wpa_supplicant spits some funny messages, but in reality, everything seems to be working- I can connect to my home WPA2 network just fine. The name of the device is wlan0 instead of ath0, so keep that in mind, but I may drop support for madwifi on my next kernel bump, especially if I can get a newer cut of the ath5k driver built in. We've managed to go from like 4 packages down to 1 which is awesome.

#1129 2008-10-17 13:17:20

punkeroso

toofishes wrote:

Played around with ath5k tonight. wpa_supplicant spits some funny messages, but in reality, everything seems to be working- I can connect to my home WPA2 network just fine. The name of the device is wlan0 instead of ath0, so keep that in mind, but I may drop support for madwifi on my next kernel bump, especially if I can get a newer cut of the ath5k driver built in. We've managed to go from like 4 packages down to 1 which is awesome.

It works like a charm here too! The only issue I've found is that, when I disable the wi-fi, the ath5k module won't be unloaded.

#1130 2008-10-17 16:23:19

toofishes
Developer
Website

I have a kernel running locally with wireless-testing changes patched in and I've been pretty happy with it. The only caveat is rate control is not quite there yet, so it drops down to 1 M/sec by default. You can easily change it with iwconfig but it is a bit of an annoyance. If this gets fixed in wireless-testing, I will be dropping madwifi and going this route instead. I will also move a lot of the modules back into the kernel, as I don't see a real need to load and unload them.

By the way, anyone that says "OMG we aren't on 2.6.27.1 yet", please look at the actual changelog.

#1131 2008-10-18 03:59:21

Pluribootent

Hi Ive been scrolling through this thread for while and Im getting interested. But before I install arch on my eee 701surf Id have some questions. Maybe someone would be so kind to give me some short answers.
I have debian installed on my system at the moment. All went well but recently My eeepc freezes and it annoys me. Plus it seemed to be getting slower and feels a little bloated.

I installed arch with gnome on my desktop pc some weeks ago and I really like it. Its fast and working stable.

So if I want to install it I follow these Instruction (here ->  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … us_EEE_PC) and then move on to the normal arch wiki?
And most important: I need to have wireless roaming working - ethernet - and a huawei E220 stick with wvdial.
My last question: Once I installed it all - is it sufficient to do pacman -Syu to update (i.e. pulling only toofishes kernels and no stock ones I have to compile myself to fit the eeepc) and sometimes one or the other minor tweak?
How fast can u boot arch on eee?(approx.)

Please let me know - thanks a lot!

Last edited by Pluribootent (2008-10-18 04:06:35)

#1132 2008-10-18 12:48:44

punkeroso

toofishes wrote:

The only caveat is rate control is not quite there yet, so it drops down to 1 M/sec by default.

You're right, iwconfig shows that rate is 1Mb/s (guess 1Mbit/s), but downloading a files through the LAN, I got a lot more than that value!
Later I'll do more tests.

Regards

#1133 2008-10-18 15:08:45

faelar
Website

So if I want to install it I follow these Instruction [...] and then move on to the normal arch wiki?

Yes, it is just a "normal" (even if it doesn't mean anything itself...) arch system with a specific kernel.

And most important: I need to have wireless roaming working - ethernet - and a huawei E220 stick with wvdial.

Don't know if all of this is working. I'm confident with both wireless and ethernet, but not quite sure about the stick.

Once I installed it all - is it sufficient to do pacman -Syu to update

If you put the repository in pacman.conf toofishes' kernel will be updated as well as the rest of your system wink

#1134 2008-10-18 15:51:54

toofishes
Developer
Website

punkeroso wrote:
toofishes wrote:

The only caveat is rate control is not quite there yet, so it drops down to 1 M/sec by default.

You're right, iwconfig shows that rate is 1Mb/s (guess 1Mbit/s), but downloading a files through the LAN, I got a lot more than that value!
Later I'll do more tests.

Regards

So here we are, our first kernel with zero external drivers needed:
http://code.toofishes.net/packages/eee/ … pkg.tar.gz

I didn't put this in my repo yet so a few people can help me test it out first, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can give feedback. MadWifi is gone and has been replaced by a testing cut from wireless-testing with the most up to date ath5k driver. Notable differences- your wireless interface is now wlan0 instead of ath0, so configs will need to be updated accordingly. In addition, the connection speed shows as 1 Mb/s when it is not in use. This is not a big deal as the speed appears to ramp up as necessary.

Please let me know what you experience running this kernel- this is the route I plan on taking (no MadWifi), so any problems should be reported before I commit to it. I've pushed the PKGBUILD for the above kernel to my GIT repo as well if you want to see how it is done.

#1135 2008-10-18 19:01:30

tankmcp

I was wondering if ighea was going to update his eee kernel to follow toofishes or should I just go ahead with toofishes?

PS. Can someone update the wiki again, I am so confused as to what kernels are available, with what wifi & acpi drivers, where did assusosd go, etc.?

Last edited by tankmcp (2008-10-18 19:07:14)

#1136 2008-10-19 23:09:34

spaam

toofishes: Next time you update your kernelpackage. can you enable ipv6 support? smile

#1137 2008-10-21 06:45:25

saten
Website

@Toofishes: I'm about to try your new kernel, I'm so curious about the new wireless drivers! Sometimes i have my system freezed while using wifi, so i hope this will fix.

I'm just adding built in ppp, bluetooth, usb_hidraw and usb printer to your kernelconfig.

#1138 2008-10-22 16:49:10

unexist
Website

How can I get /proc/acpi/asus back? I am running toofishes kernel (2.6.27) on eee 701 and it's gone.

#1139 2008-10-22 22:34:23

saten
Website

acpi-eee scripts may have a problem with this new upgrade (wireless), maybe ighea should give them a check?
everything else is ok.
toofishes: i'm using your git repo. don't you think it's time to remove that uvesa module from your kernelconfig? what about writing a patch for eeepc-linux to make it compile properly?

#1140 2008-10-23 05:08:23

toofishes
Developer
Website

saten wrote:

acpi-eee scripts may have a problem with this new upgrade (wireless), maybe ighea should give them a check?
everything else is ok.
toofishes: i'm using your git repo. don't you think it's time to remove that uvesa module from your kernelconfig? what about writing a patch for eeepc-linux to make it compile properly?

Why the heck does everyone keep saying to remove the uvesafb module? It doesn't hurt if you aren't using it, and it helps if you are. It is one warning line in your dmesg.

And I'm not writing crap for eeepc-linux, ask the author why he has let it rot since its initial development.

#1141 2008-10-23 08:54:41

saten
Website

toofishes wrote:

Why the heck does everyone keep saying to remove the uvesafb module? It doesn't hurt if you aren't using it, and it helps if you are. It is one warning line in your dmesg.

Just because it was insterted for a reason ( splash boot ) and no one did anything good with that. By the way I tried to use that module installing v86d and all I got was total crap..

Some people on the italian forums about eee pc are experiencing problems after the upgrade with your latest kernel (wicd not starting anymore, cpufreqd appears to be broken) and I'm trying to give them help. Any suggestion from anyone here? Except renaming ath0 in wlan0 in wicd and removing everything from MODULES() which I already suggested.

#1142 2008-10-23 12:42:22

punkeroso

toofishes wrote:

So here we are, our first kernel with zero external drivers needed:
http://code.toofishes.net/packages/eee/ … pkg.tar.gz

I didn't put this in my repo yet so a few people can help me test it out first, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can give feedback. MadWifi is gone and has been replaced by a testing cut from wireless-testing with the most up to date ath5k driver. Notable differences- your wireless interface is now wlan0 instead of ath0, so configs will need to be updated accordingly. In addition, the connection speed shows as 1 Mb/s when it is not in use. This is not a big deal as the speed appears to ramp up as necessary.

Please let me know what you experience running this kernel- this is the route I plan on taking (no MadWifi), so any problems should be reported before I commit to it. I've pushed the PKGBUILD for the above kernel to my GIT repo as well if you want to see how it is done.

I'm experiencing a couple of problems since I've installed this kernel, but I don't know if they're kernel related.
I'm using testing repo, and I can't switch between virtual consols, but this could be xorg or intel driver related.

The second issue is that when returning from suspension the eee seems to restarting and appears gdm instead of returning to the desktop.

I also have a strange issue, I have the /home mounted on a sdhc that "should" be mounted via fstab (during startup), but it don't, because the device (sdb1) seems to not exist! But if I put "mount -a" in /etc/rc.local, during the boot I always get "sdb1 doesn't exists", but the sdhc will be mounted!

#1143 2008-10-23 14:39:26

punkeroso

...I'm getting this when trying to wake up from sleep...

[drm:i915_wait_irq] *ERROR* EBUSY -- rec: 1321 emitted: 1322
[drm:i915_getparam] *ERROR* Unknown parameter 5

Here is my dmesg

Regards

P.S. I'm getting the same behaviour with the kernel in the eee repo. I think this could be caused by the newest xf86-video-intel in testing. I would like to downgrade, but I can't find the old package...

PP.SS. Downgrading xorg-server, libdrm, xf86-video-input, mesa, libgl and intel-dri to the stable versions fixed all my issues, except the "sdb1 doesn't exist" obviously!

Last edited by punkeroso (2008-10-23 15:59:27)

#1144 2008-10-24 14:27:16

faelar
Website

@toofishes : Wireless works, but turning it off/on doesn't. My battery was runing low, so didn't had time to search what was exactly the problem. Also, I would like to know if all the aircrack's features are enable with this new module ?

EDIT : The wireless issue is acpi related, I should ask to ighea if he is going to update his package or not.

Last edited by faelar (2008-10-25 12:40:55)

#1145 2008-10-29 00:16:00

slipper

Is it possible for you to compile IPv6 module into the next release? Or could I do it myself?

#1146 2008-11-01 04:22:49

kaola_linux

sorry I had a wrong post...:o

Last edited by kaola_linux (2008-11-01 04:23:51)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#1147 2008-11-01 04:28:42

kaola_linux

I have an Asus Eee Pc also (701) model, I've been having problems starting up with the modified kernel. 

Here is my grub entry
# (2) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux EEE kernel
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuzeee root=/dev/sda1 ro

its exactly the same on the guide provided.

root partition /dev/sda1
boot partition /dev/sda2

Every time I choose this on my grub menu screen on bootup, it shows an erro about "file not found".  Any help?

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3

#1148 2008-11-01 05:09:57

bdrive

kaola_linux wrote:

I have an Asus Eee Pc also (701) model, I've been having problems starting up with the modified kernel. 

Here is my grub entry
# (2) Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)

root partition /dev/sda1
boot partition /dev/sda2

Every time I choose this on my grub menu screen on bootup, it shows an erro about "file not found".  Any help?

If your partitions are in that order, your vmlinuzeee would be on (hd0,1).

edit: You also have to take out "/boot" from the vmlinuzeee path since your /boot is on its own partition.

# (2) Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuzeee root=/dev/sda1 ro

Last edited by bdrive (2008-11-01 06:26:07)

#1149 2008-11-01 12:29:47

Fiona

Hi everyone,

I got an eee900 a few weeks ago, and looked around for a decent lightweight distro to put on it. So i decided on arch.
Everything is great so far, thanks to the guides on the wiki. I've set it up with X, awesome and SLiM.
The only problem is that everything is pretty slow. I think it's the display that's the problem, the whole thing is just very unresponsive. Even scrolling in xterm jumps horribly, and it's really bad in firefox.
I've already installed xf86-video-intel.

I'm a bit stuck now, can anyone help?

Thanks,
Fiona

Last edited by Fiona (2008-11-01 12:30:13)

#1150 2008-11-01 14:26:37

kaola_linux

bdrive wrote:
kaola_linux wrote:

Here is my grub entry
# (2) Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)

root partition /dev/sda1
boot partition /dev/sda2

If your partitions are in that order, your vmlinuzeee would be on (hd0,1).

edit: You also have to take out "/boot" from the vmlinuzeee path since your /boot is on its own partition.

# (2) Arch Linux
root   (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuzeee root=/dev/sda1 ro

Thank you very much now I can boot to the customized kernel... ^^ Happy arch user here...

Board footer