You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-08 17:19:33

creslin

[Solved] How to handle pre-download license? (Creative EULA)

When you go to the X-Fi driver download, it presents you with the Creative EULA that says the following near the top:

YOU HAVE AGREED TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT BEFORE DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE FROM THE INTERNET.

Then you click "AGREE" at the bottom to initiate the download, which was the main reason I was hesitant to upload my PKGBUILD from this X-Fi thread.  Someone requested that it be added to the AUR, so I ended up submitting it.  I'm just not sure how the situation should be handled (the source is GPL2).

I've currently saved the Creative EULA as a text file and put both 'custom:CEULA' and 'GPL2' in the license array.  Is this sufficient, or would I need to do something like this?

source=() # remove driver tarball
makedepends=('wget')

build() {
  # quick prompt about licensing situation
  # display license
  # ask user to accept/decline
  #   if decline, return 1

# wget source
  # md5 -c source

# continue as normal
}

Last edited by creslin (2008-11-08 20:37:12)

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

#2 2008-11-08 17:31:29

skymt

Re: [Solved] How to handle pre-download license? (Creative EULA)

If the agreement explicitly states that the user needs to agree before downloading, I say follow it to the letter. In the past I've solved this problem by putting the archive's filename (rather than full URL) in the source array, forcing the user to download the tarball themselves. Your (second) way is a good idea and quite a lot more convenient, so go with that.

#3 2008-11-08 17:38:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

An EULA to download GPL2 source...  seems strange.  You can install the EULA to /usr/share/licences/$pkgname and add a post install message saying that the user has to read it first.  E.g. http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/c … ev=CURRENT

#4 2008-11-08 17:52:11

creslin

Allan wrote:

An EULA to download GPL2 source...  seems strange.

I agree (and I don't quite understand it really), but I ended up submitting it since the source is GPL2.

You can install the EULA to /usr/share/licences/$pkgname and add a post install message saying that the user has to read it first.  E.g. http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/c … ev=CURRENT

Ok, I'll go with the post install warning.  I was just worried about the letter of the law as skymt mentioned, but I'll just keep it this way then.  Thanks.

Last edited by creslin (2008-11-08 17:55:55)

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

Board footer