You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-19 16:58:38

tmafcerqueira

Problem with GRUB on installation

Hey there,
I've burned the core iso from a official archlinux mirror, but I keep getting this message when I'm trying to boot from the CD:

Boot CD-ROM Type: Non-Emulation Booting
Loading stage 2

And a split second later I get this:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (639k lower/523200k upper memory

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.
For the first word, TAB lists possible command
completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completion of a device/filename.]
grub>

I googled around the issue, and found this post.
The guy says that his bios won't support grub, but I have grub installed as we speak, plus I had already installed arch before on this machine, with this very iso. It's not a problem with the CD as I've tried to boot it on another computer and it works fine. Can I boot Archlive from this shell? With what commands? What's causing the issue?
I hope someone helps me solve this quickly as I need my archsystem up and running as soon as possible
Thanks

Last edited by tmafcerqueira (2008-10-19 16:59:10)

#2 2008-11-04 17:03:29

brymway

Re: Problem with GRUB on installation

I also have the same problem.  My core disc works in my desktop across the room; I get a menu and have the options to "boot archlive" as specified in the beginners installation directions.  But on my laptop it goes straight to the >grub prompt. 

So then I downloaded the Archlinux-2008.10-archboot.iso from the "Tobias" link on the beginners installation page, although the link was broken, I think I got the right iso intended.  This works on my laptop but goes thru a different startup sequence than the core disc on the desktop.  Is this the same disc?  Is this going to give me what I need to continue with the installation?

After some searching, I've found a few problems with this >grub prompt coming up and discs not booting but haven't ever found a solution at the end of the thread.  Is there a solution that I'm missing?

#3 2008-11-29 07:19:39

jcci

Frankly I also have to report problems with the actual installation iso. Since the change to Grub happend almost no computer boots from a USB CD-Rom. Lots of other doesn't even boot from an Atapi CD-Rom. Most of our computer does not need any CD-Rom. We also have lots of Via Epia PCs and noe of them boots wth Arch after 2007-08. I don't think this is a small issue and wonder why there such few movement concerning a safe boot procedure. Of course I know that it doesn't matter to use the 2007-08 iso due to the rolling update, but this not an option for new user.
What was wrong with the old boot-loader?

#4 2009-01-08 11:01:45

yoochan

Same problem...

I already have a first winxp partition, followed by an ubuntu one. (and grub works perfectly)

Willing to try Archlinux I burned the ftp image, booted, and got stuck at the grub> prompt

What should be the root and kenel option to feed it with to continue the CD loading ?

(hardware config :
CL56 notebook platform with toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6372)

Last edited by yoochan (2009-01-08 11:08:53)

Board footer