You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-05 15:56:53

abhidg
Website

Re: Archlinux as the Server Operating System

One good way to use Arch on a server and still be informed of security updates
is by subscribing to the CVE vulnerabilities mailing list, which tracks vulnerabilties
in most common applications. Also check this out:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~hugo/sheriff/

#27 2009-01-05 17:33:28

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

My server is running Arch and other than some difficulties setting up the mailserver (i woulda had that on any distro) i've had no problems with it. All I can say is once you start using Arch, nothing else comes close tongue

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#28 2009-01-06 22:04:35

esh

I think whether you can use Arch as a server depends heavily on what other software you use with it. If it's say, a Samba and NFS server alone I see no problems at all. In my case when using it as an Apache and Python server, upgrades broke the programs that ran on such software due to major version upgrades. My preference is still something like Debian or Centos for a server.

#29 2009-01-07 01:48:59

raja.name

esh wrote:

I think whether you can use Arch as a server depends heavily on what other software you use with it. If it's say, a Samba and NFS server alone I see no problems at all. In my case when using it as an Apache and Python server, upgrades broke the programs that ran on such software due to major version upgrades. My preference is still something like Debian or Centos for a server.

Do you know that archlinux.org runs on Archlinux, Apache web server, MySQL and Python (uses Django Python framework) ?

Last edited by raja.name (2009-01-07 01:50:20)

#30 2009-01-07 18:10:50

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

esh wrote:

Over 2 years......... no major hiccups here.  I run Apache/Php/Mysql/Python/Perl. Seems to work flawlessly. Only "major" hiccup I had was a php upgrade, in which some of the code I was using had "short tags" and I didn't realize it until the upgrade.  Allowed me to notice and fix the errors.......so it was a plus for me.

Board footer