You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-05 23:55:44

Manannan

Pacman finds repo and kdemod-* packages, but not kdemod itself?!

Hi everyone! I couldn't find anyone with the same weird problem I have..

I've done what was advised in http://www.archlinux.org/news/411/

Due to a limitation in pacman's conflict checking and symbolic link resolution, the upgrade to klibc-1.5.14-1 requires manual removal of a symbolic link befole updating. Please run the command "rm /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm" as root to remove the symbolic link that will otherwise cause a few hundred false file conflicts.

then, as root:

Pacman -Suy,
Pacman -Syy

everything updated nicely, all repositories found and synced.
then..

# pacman -S kdemod

kdemod package not found, searching for group...
(huge list of kdemod* programs)
install whole content? [Y/n]

..the whole content being over 1gb of mostly unnecessary kde-related programs so that couldn't be it.

This is a fresh arch64 install, I haven't made any weird custom configurations. I've followed the kdemod site instructions and arch wiki faithfully, adding the x86_64 core repository to pacman.conf. Triple checked for typos.

Pacman finds and installs nvidia, xorg and openbox without problems
With kdemod3, kde, gnome and xfce4 it's the exact same behaviour as with kdemod.
I don't understand why since "pacman -Sy" finds all necessary repos perfectly and even the individual bits for kdemod..

..halp!

#2 2009-02-06 00:51:21

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: Pacman finds repo and kdemod-* packages, but not kdemod itself?!

The entire kdemod group is rather large, and you say this is a fresh install. I'm guessing pacman is just attempting to satisfy all the dependancies of the entire kdemod group (have you even installed Xorg?) The beauty of kdemod, though, is being able to pick and choose exactly which KDE apps you want. Your install is only as lean or large as you make it.

Did you really think an entire window system, desktop environment, full suite of applications (office, PIM, art, EVERYTHING) would only be 50 MB?

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2009-02-06 04:11:41

u_no_hu

You say "no" and the pick what ever you want .......

pacman -S kdemod

A basic functional Desktop
(Installed size without additional dependencies: ~380MiB)

..  It doesnt seem to be much for a complete DE

Last edited by u_no_hu (2009-02-06 04:14:20)

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#4 2009-02-06 08:35:53

Manannan

Pointone, that's not it..

"# Pacman -S xorg"  found the xorg package, told me its size and asked if I wanted to install, same for nvidia drivers, openbox and some others (yes I have installed xorg)

"# Pacman -S kdemod" says that the package can't be found and offers to install EVERYTHING kde in the whole [kdemod-core] repository, if I add [kdemod-extragear] to the pacman.conf it will offer to install all the programs there too.

this is from the chakra/kdemod site

pacman -S kdemod

A basic functional Desktop
(Installed size without additional dependencies: ~380MiB)

pacman -S kdemod-complete

A full-blown KDE installation
(Installed size without additional dependencies: ~690MiB)

So a complete KDE would be around 700mb and I'm trying to install the basic desktop, it really shouldn't be over 1,5 gigs (and that's just with the core repo)

EDIT: u_no_hu, I'm trying that since I can't get this working. The entries are slightly different than the "minimal install" ones in the Arch wiki but it should work.

Last edited by Manannan (2009-02-06 08:52:41)

#5 2009-02-06 08:57:08

tomk
Forum Fellow

On an up-to-date Arch install, xorg is a package group, so pacman -S xorg will produce the response "xorg package not found, searching for group..." followed by a list of packages in the xorg group, and the options to install the entire group, or select individual packages from the group.

If pacman found an xorg package in your case, your system is not up to date. Please post your pacman.conf and the EXACT output of the pacman -S kdemod command.

#6 2009-02-06 09:29:55

Manannan

Ok I just retried that, xorg was actually not a package but a group just like you said - it was the first thing I installed so I didn't pay attention (d'oh).

I'm writing this from another pc next to my laptop so I won't type in my whole pacman.conf.
It's unchanged apart from adding:

I've tried the other kdemod repositories as well so that can't be the problem, the [community] which kdemod needs is working too

this is the output from pacman -S kdemod:

kdemod package not found, searching for group...
:: group kdemod (including ignored packages):
     kdemod-arxin  kdemod-kde-common  kdemod-kdeartwork-desktopthemes  kdemod-kdeartwork-emoticons

...etc etc etc... a full screen of kdemod-something..

kdemod-kdeutils-kgrubeditor  kdemod-powerdevil   kdemod-shaman   qtmod
:: install whole content? [Y/n]

hmm.. this is weird, I just handpicked

kdemod-kdebase
kdemod-kdebase-runtime
kdemod-kdebase-runtime-icons
kdemod-kdebase-workspace

to be installed and it says the installed size would be 750mb - even more than a complete kdemod install?!

#7 2009-02-06 09:44:19

u_no_hu

I just did pacman -S kdemod and i have

Total Download Size:    320.26 MB
Total Installed Size:   774.40 MB

I think the rest is additional dependencies

#8 2009-02-06 10:09:51

Manannan

ok, thank you! I never realized that the additional dependencies could take so much extra space.
I'm installing the previously handpicked packages now.. I'll let you know how it works out

It's still weird how pacman -S kdemod doesn't work like it should, no?

#9 2009-02-06 10:23:20

u_no_hu

From the kdemod website

And at last: Do not install KDEmod in another way than described here or you will experience problems. No pacman -S kdemod-kdebase or such stuff, just follow our instructions, please :-)

Best of luck ;-)

#10 2009-02-06 12:34:21

Manannan

lol, yeah I read that warning as well, but I'm desperate and sure enough there is something awesome and exciting going on cool

after running into and resolving the proprietary nvidia driver conflict described here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52443
i ran startx, followed by startkde to try things out

all of kde's elements are surrounded by the pretty cyan xorg window borders now.. they say "Qt-subapplication"
I can drag the taskbar around by its xorg-border which is a neat feature

Everything seems to be working normally apart from that, I changed to native res (1920x1080), installed Arxin with Konsole, added some widgets, changed wallpapers and whatnot

..but it sure looks like ass

Board footer