You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 23:31:57

Nezmer
Website

[Reopened][security] Deluge update, daemon runs as root

>>> Deluge's daemon is running with the "deluge" user. The default download directory is /home/deluge/

That's the post-install note .

False initial report:
'/home/deluge' is created but the daemon is running with my user and the previous settings are used . That's a good thing . It just contradicts the post-instll notice .

Update :
It turned out the daemon seems to run as root . Now , that's a bad thing .

Last edited by Nezmer (2009-04-08 19:40:34)

English is not my native language .

#2 2009-04-08 01:58:23

MindlessXD

Re: [Reopened][security] Deluge update, daemon runs as root

The daemon is running as root here... that's _not_ a good thing.
Edit: Oddly enough, my settings and torrents are still there, but the process is running as root, no doubt about it.

Last edited by MindlessXD (2009-04-08 02:02:34)

#3 2009-04-08 14:13:39

Nezmer
Website

Oh , that thread was posted . I thought I didn't submit it .

I think the daemon is fine (It shows that It's running as root but I think the privileges are dropped to user 'deluge' like the 'mpd' daemon) .

The question remains though :
As the daemon recognises my user's settings , How would it behave in a multi-user system ?

Last edited by Nezmer (2009-04-08 14:17:02)

#4 2009-04-08 15:40:39

MindlessXD

you sure it's the same deal?  mpd looks how I'd expect, but deluge doesn't

ps aux|grep -E 'mpd|deluged'|grep -v grep

root      3967  0.8  3.3 364832 34056 ?        Sl   Apr07   6:44 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/deluged
mpd       4204  0.5  0.0 224752   980 ?        Sl   Mar26 108:57 /usr/bin/mpd /etc/mpd.conf

Last edited by MindlessXD (2009-04-08 15:44:35)

#5 2009-04-08 19:35:30

Nezmer
Website

I guess you're right . Now that's a serious problem .

I will change the title again .

#6 2009-04-08 22:02:58

rsambuca

On my system, both deluge and the deluge daemon are under my user name.

How did you install yours?

#7 2009-04-08 22:32:05

Nezmer
Website

rsambuca wrote:

On my system, both deluge and the deluge daemon are under my user name.

How did you install yours?

If you run deluged from terminal logged in with your user or start the daemon from within deluge , It will run under your user name .

The latest deluge Arch update added an option to start deluged from '/etc/rc.d/deluged' . The post-install note suggests that this daemon will run with the user 'deluge' and will download to '/home/deluge' . That setup would suggest also that the settings are reseted and a fresh profile would be created specific for the 'deluge' user . The daemon should be system-wide serving all users .

In practice , the daemon is running as root and the previous user-specific settings are preserved .

#8 2009-04-08 22:36:38

Allan
Pacman
Website

File a bug report.

#9 2009-04-08 22:41:36

Nezmer
Website

Allan wrote:

File a bug report.

I'm already on it .

#10 2009-04-08 22:52:29

Nezmer
Website

Bug reported :
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14142

Maybe a user with better "English" should comment there explaining more clearly the problem .

#11 2009-09-03 09:18:26

kolebas

change /etc/rc.d/deluged

#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                     

. /etc/rc.conf                                                                                                                  
. /etc/rc.d/functions                                                                                                           

[[ -f /var/run/deluged.pid ]] && PID=`cat /var/run/deluged.pid`                                                                 

case "$1" in                                                                                                                    
  start)                                                                                                                        
    stat_busy "Starting Deluge Daemon"                                                                                          
    [[ -z $PID ]] && /usr/bin/deluged 2>&1

to

#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                     

. /etc/rc.conf                                                                                                                  
. /etc/rc.d/functions                                                                                                           
. /etc/conf.d/deluged                                                                                                           
[[ -f /var/run/deluged.pid ]] && PID=`cat /var/run/deluged.pid`                                                                 

case "$1" in                                                                                                                    
  start)                                                                                                                        
    stat_busy "Starting Deluge Daemon"                                                                                          
    [[ -z $PID ]] && su -l -c "/usr/bin/deluged" $TRANS_USER

& make /etc/conf.d/deluged

TRANS_USER="user"

Board footer