You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-09 19:36:46

pedepy

questions before taking the plunge ..

hi .. im just about to replace my laptop hdd with a bigger faster one, and in the process i will obviously have to reinstall arch (im 'due', anyway..)..

so i was wondering about installing the 64 bit version this time around, even though the 32 bit version gives me all i want with very very few issues ... are there any obvious pitfalls to going 64 bits ? .. should most of my currently support hardware just work or do drivers have to be written specifically for that ? .. what about xorg ? what about precompiled binaries like google chrome, earth .. wine programs, flash and what not ?!!..

all of this would be purely out of principle, as i did *buy* a 64 bit cpu and would like to use if it would give me any benefit at all .. that said, if its gonna cause more headaches than joy, ill stick will good old and trusty 32 bit linux ..

can you guys recommend any ressources for more info on that ?

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2009-08-09 19:48:36

AdrenalineJunky

Re: questions before taking the plunge ..

i'm running 64 bit arch and have only had one problem with it, when i was trying to install penumbra overture i couldn't get the installer to display properly... this has since fixed itself so i don't think its a problem anymore

as for binary packages - you can install the 32bit libraries and still run 32 bit binary packages.

#3 2009-08-09 19:51:41

Skripka

Re: questions before taking the plunge ..

The only real problem apps for 64bit are the Google ones.  The "problem" lies in needing to pollute your 64bit system with 32bit libraries.  Why Google can't just knouckle up and make friggin native 64bit apps is beyond me, it isn't like they're lacking manpower or anything.  Even Adobe has a native 64bit Flash.

Board footer