You are not logged in.

#226 2009-10-18 14:26:49

haggy
Website

Re: xbmc-git AUR package: discussion in here please

Well - does that socket (/var/run/lirc/lircd) exist? After the upgrade i had to create the folder first (/var/run/lirc). You could also try if "irw" shows your remote working and responding to keypresses.

Last edited by haggy (2009-10-18 14:27:04)

#227 2009-10-18 18:27:46

Perre

haggy wrote:

Well - does that socket (/var/run/lirc/lircd) exist? After the upgrade i had to create the folder first (/var/run/lirc). You could also try if "irw" shows your remote working and responding to keypresses.

I've created /var/run/lirc/lircd, irw shows my remote works, but xbmc doesn't respond.
The strange thing is that when I open /var/run/lirc/ with pcmanfm the file lircd shows up, but if I try to read it with nano I get 'Error reading lircd: No such device or address'
lircd and lircmd in /etc/rc.d/ both point to /usr/bin/ though:

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions
. /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

PID=$(pidof -o %PPID /usr/sbin/lircd)
case "$1" in
  start)
    stat_busy "Starting LIRC Daemon"
    [ -n "$LIRC_DRIVER" ] && LIRC_EXTRAOPTS="-H $LIRC_DRIVER $LIRC_EXTRAOPTS"
    [ -z "$PID" ] && 
      if [ -n "$LIRC_DEVICE" ] ; then
        /usr/sbin/lircd -d "$LIRC_DEVICE" $LIRC_EXTRAOPTS $LIRC_CONFIGFILE
      else
        /usr/sbin/lircd $LIRC_EXTRAOPTS $LIRC_CONFIGFILE
      fi
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      add_daemon lircd
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Stopping LIRC Daemon"
    [ ! -z "$PID" ] && kill $PID &> /dev/null
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      rm_daemon lircd
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  restart)
    $0 stop
    sleep 1
    $0 start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac
exit 0
#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

PID=`pidof -o %PPID /usr/sbin/lircmd`
case "$1" in
  start)
    stat_busy "Starting lircmd Daemon"
    [ -z "$PID" ] && /usr/sbin/lircmd
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      add_daemon lircmd
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Stopping lircmd Daemon"
    [ ! -z "$PID" ]  && kill $PID &> /dev/null
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      rm_daemon lircmd
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  restart)
    $0 stop
    sleep 1
    $0 start
    ;;
  *)
    echo "usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
esac
exit 0

Is that the way it's supposed to be?

#228 2009-10-18 18:47:07

haggy
Website

No, "you're doing it wrong" big_smile

First, /var/run/lirc/lircd is no regular file, but a socket. That's the reason nano (or whatever editor) can't read it.
Second. Don't create a file with that name - instead make sure you have the directory /var/run/lirc - that's all. lircd (the daemon) creates its socket (which lived in /dev before the update) there on its own.

As for xbmc - using the -l switch pointing to the new socket file (/var/run/lirc/lircd) fixed it for me...

#229 2009-10-18 18:52:49

Perre

haggy wrote:

First, /var/run/lirc/lircd is no regular file, but a socket. That's the reason nano (or whatever editor) can't read it.
Second. Don't create a file with that name - instead make sure you have the directory /var/run/lirc - that's all. lircd (the daemon) creates its socket (which lived in /dev before the update) there on its own.

As for xbmc - using the -l switch pointing to the new socket file (/var/run/lirc/lircd) fixed it for me...

big_smile
I've actually done exactly what you're saying, but something is not working. I've deleted all traces of lirc and re-installed. Only problem is that now my lircd.conf isn't accepted. I need to find a lircd.conf for mceusb that works. Hopefully it will work then. tongue

#230 2009-10-18 20:02:51

DonVla

#231 2009-10-20 21:08:41

0xAF

hello, i'll repost my last comment to that package in the aur which shuld explain my problem:
----
i switched back to my previous version of xbmc-svn-22052 and it works fine.
still get the 100% cpu but only in the menu screen and it is some kind of false overload becouse everything moves normal
when i watch a movie it is 20% cpu ...
and this was the normal behaviour before ... the menu gets 100% cpu (dont know why - may be it is the skin)

but with the last version xbmc-svn-23551 i get real 100% cpu
i cannot even move in the menu - when i hit a key it moves after 20-30 secs
so the problem remains in the lattest version ...

it is strange that only i have this problem ... it is a normal arch install and the only package from aur is the xbmc-svn ...

this machine was with gentoo before and there was no such problems (but the xbmc was older svn version at that time)
i just get tired of compiling packages on that slow machine ... so i switched to arch my mediabox ...
this is the second xbmc-svn version installed since its arch linux and the first that brings the problem.

may be it is not arch related ... but i cant think of another problem right now ...
as i said its a normal arch install ... nothing specificly compiled by me except xbmc, but even with the binary package from
that link: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48724
the problem remains.

i will try with the next svn version when it is in the aur, or ill try to compile from svn if i have more time tomorow...
----

haggy suggested:
0xAF: (force) Enable vsync and your 100% cpu problems in menu should be gone.

this was the suggestion from "Tina-" from the #xbmc-linux but it doesnt help
atleast if im using the right option: "appearance->screen->vertical blank sync" -> set to always enabled
Tina- also suggested to put Option "PageFlip" "true" on nvidia section in the xorg.conf
still doesnt help.

for the old version it's not a big deal becouse the menu moves normaly
but for the last version its a big problem....

#232 2009-10-21 07:51:36

haggy
Website

0xAF: I'm a regular visitor of #xbmc--linux as well - maybe we can find out something there. Nag me when i'm on...

#233 2009-10-21 08:48:05

0xAF

yup, you ware the reason to try archlinux IIRC few months ago smile for that i'm grateful ...
see you in irc these days ...

#234 2009-10-21 12:43:57

Nnexxus

Hi all ! wink

I was browsing XBMC website and I stumbled upon this patch : http://xbmc.org/trac/changeset/23883
Do you think this would fix the "please insert disc" problem that's bothering me since 9.04 came out ? That would be a big relief smile

And if tonight I compile a fresh xbmc-svn from AUR, against libcdio 0.81-2, will I benefit from this patch, or should I edit the PKGBUILD to get the most recent SVN update ?

And while I'm posting : big thanks to you, haggy, and all others involved in packaging XBMC for Arch. You're doing a great job !

#235 2009-10-21 19:13:17

Perre

Perre wrote:
haggy wrote:

big_smile
I've actually done exactly what you're saying, but something is not working. I've deleted all traces of lirc and re-installed. Only problem is that now my lircd.conf isn't accepted. I need to find a lircd.conf for mceusb that works. Hopefully it will work then. tongue

After the upgrade to lirc-utils-0.8.6-3 I've got lirc working again. But still no response in xbmc.
Am I going to have to install the latest aur version of xbmc-svn and loose my sorely needed libjpeg6 and libcdio 0.8 support?? sad

#236 2009-10-21 19:57:16

haggy
Website

no you don't. lirc support hasn't changed since decades in xbmc big_smile
what's the output of 'ls -al /var/run/lirc' ?

#237 2009-10-21 20:02:06

haggy
Website

Nnexxus wrote:

Hi all ! wink

I was browsing XBMC website and I stumbled upon this patch : http://xbmc.org/trac/changeset/23883
Do you think this would fix the "please insert disc" problem that's bothering me since 9.04 came out ? That would be a big relief smile

And if tonight I compile a fresh xbmc-svn from AUR, against libcdio 0.81-2, will I benefit from this patch, or should I edit the PKGBUILD to get the most recent SVN update ?

And while I'm posting : big thanks to you, haggy, and all others involved in packaging XBMC for Arch. You're doing a great job !

Thanks for the nice words. If you want to benefit from that commit, you have to edit the pkgbuild and push the pkgver to at least 23883. I cannot verify this patch and if it helps with your drive issues as i simply don't have an optical drive in my htpc big_smile

#238 2009-10-22 14:15:37

Perre

haggy wrote:

no you don't. lirc support hasn't changed since decades in xbmc big_smile
what's the output of 'ls -al /var/run/lirc' ?

[per@arch ~]$ ls -al /var/run/lirc
total 5
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 104 2009-10-22 16:14 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 480 2009-10-22 16:14 ..
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root   0 2009-10-22 16:14 lircd
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   5 2009-10-22 16:14 lircd.pid

#239 2009-10-22 14:21:07

haggy
Website

Goddamnit - then "xbmc -l /var/run/lirc/lircd" MUST work, or i'm completely out of ideas.

#240 2009-10-22 15:26:52

Perre

Where am I supposed to have the lircrc file? Maybe that's the problem?

#241 2009-10-22 15:30:26

haggy
Website

Stock arch installs it in /etc/lircd.conf. If "irw" works for you, your lirc installation is fine - your Lircmap.xml (that's xbmc's config) has to live in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ as described here: http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Lirc_and_Lircmap.xml
note that the remote's name both in /etc/lircd.conf and Lircmap.xml are case-sensitive and must be identical.

#242 2009-10-22 15:49:02

Perre

haggy wrote:

Stock arch installs it in /etc/lircd.conf. If "irw" works for you, your lirc installation is fine - your Lircmap.xml (that's xbmc's config) has to live in ~/.xbmc/userdata/ as described here: http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Lirc_and_Lircmap.xml
note that the remote's name both in /etc/lircd.conf and Lircmap.xml are case-sensitive and must be identical.

YES! big_smile
The problem was that with all the issues I had with the lirc upgrade (and all the installing and removing that follows) Lircmap.xml and /etc/lirc/lircd was not identical. I copied /etc/lirc/lircd to ~/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml and now it's working. Finally!!!

Thanks alot for helping me out haggy! You saved me from alot of hassle. I'm really grateful for all the help I've gotten in the archlinux forums. No other community like it! wink

#243 2009-10-22 15:52:06

haggy
Website

...erm, now i'm confused. copying /etc/lirc/lircd to ~/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml does not make any sense, since the first one is lirc's configuration file and the second one is an xml file from xbmc. i meant you have to use the same identical NAMES in there - not the same file. i really wonder how this could work...

#244 2009-10-22 16:14:31

Perre

haggy wrote:

...erm, now i'm confused. copying /etc/lirc/lircd to ~/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml does not make any sense, since the first one is lirc's configuration file and the second one is an xml file from xbmc. i meant you have to use the same identical NAMES in there - not the same file. i really wonder how this could work...

I think thats exactly what's been causing all the problems with the new lirc package. The remote config file is moved to /etc/lirc/lircd and the lirc config file is moved to /etc/conf.d. tongue

#245 2009-10-22 16:17:07

haggy
Website

but what about xbmc's config? That's not included in Arch's package for sure big_smile This whole mess doesn't make sense...anyway, glad it works for you big_smile

#246 2009-10-22 16:23:36

Perre

haggy wrote:

but what about xbmc's config? That's not included in Arch's package for sure big_smile This whole mess doesn't make sense...anyway, glad it works for you big_smile

Hmm... I really don't know how or why it works, but it seems like xbmc accepts the lirc.conf.mceusb as Lircmap.xml smile

#247 2009-10-22 18:11:25

TigTex

I'm out of ideas here.

Formated my PC and I still have performance issues. Since kernel 2.6.31.4 I only have 3fps with any HD skin with 100% cpu usage with xbmc and xbmc-svn... If I use the default SD skin, cpu usage is normal, high fps's but it's impossible to see my smb share with images (super super slow rendering). Never had this before... Any ideas?

p4 3.0ghz HT, 512mb ram, ati 9250 128mb.

other 3D stuff is normal... only xbmc is acting like stupid

Last edited by TigTex (2009-10-22 18:12:29)

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#248 2009-10-23 15:08:09

hps

Hello.

Don't really know if this is the right thread for me, but I had the aforementioned problems with the the LIRC version push, and fixed it with the "-l /var/run/lirc/lircd" that you (Haggy) suggested.
But I also have an entirely new problem since my pacman -Syu that day smile

I have a quite recent system with an NVIDIA GTX 260 graphics card, using the primary DVI out to my digital flatpanel display, and the other, through a HDMI-adapter, to my HDTV.

Ideally I would like XBMC to leave my mouse handling completely alone so I can have XBMC always running fullscreen on the HDTV, whilst still using my computer for other stuff on my monitor.
After messing around with a crapload of different configurations, including failing to set up two separate X servers, I settled with two separate displays in X and using the following line to start XBMC:
DISPLAY=:0.1 xbmc -fs -l /var/run/lirc/lircd

This has worked satisfactory for me until the last update as I could always alt+tab out of XMBC, thus regaining my mouse and keyboard control to my primary display. Now, however, there is absolutely nothing I can do, besides quitting XBMC. This gets problematic when I sit down in front of my computer to do something, but end up having to go to the other side of the livingroom to turn on the TV and guess where to click with the mouse to popup the close menu in XBMC.

Is there anyway to make XBMC just leave my mouse alone? as I control it with a remote control, I don't even need to be able to control it with my keyboard.

Sorry for the long post!

#249 2009-10-24 14:15:43

hyness

haggy wrote:
Nnexxus wrote:

Hi all ! wink

Thanks for the nice words. If you want to benefit from that commit, you have to edit the pkgbuild and push the pkgver to at least 23883. I cannot verify this patch and if it helps with your drive issues as i simply don't have an optical drive in my htpc big_smile

I tried to compile with this revision to see if this will fix playing DVDs, but I get the following compile error...

ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1dec.o:(.data.rel+0x0): multiple definition of `vc1_decoder'
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1.o:(.data.rel+0x0): first defined here
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1dec.o:(.data.rel+0x80): multiple definition of `wmv3_decoder'
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1.o:(.data.rel+0x80): first defined here
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1dec.o:(.data.rel.local+0x0): multiple definition of `wmv3_vdpau_decoder'
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1.o:(.data.rel.local+0x0): first defined here
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1dec.o:(.data.rel.local+0x80): multiple definition of `vc1_vdpau_decoder'
ffmpeg/libavcodec/vc1.o:(.data.rel.local+0x80): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [../../../../system/players/dvdplayer/avcodec-52-x86_64-linux.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hyness/builds/xbmc-svn/src/XBMC/xbmc/cores/dvdplayer/Codecs'
make: *** [dvdpcodecs] Error 2

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Last edited by hyness (2009-10-24 14:16:59)

#250 2009-10-27 17:57:05

fiatguy85

I was having the same issue as dr.zentech and rumil.  I have a PKGBUILD and patch if anyone else needs it. 

Thanks for all the great work haggy.

Board footer