You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 18:59:40

IgnorantGuru
Website

Kicking The KDE Habit

Below is a copy of a post from my blog detailing the apps I used to fully replace KDE.  (If you want the hyperlink version you can also read it on my blog.)

A few months ago I dropped Kubuntu and KDE as my desktop and switched to Arch Linux with an Openbox desktop. I've used KDE for years and thought highly of it, but they lost me with KDE 4. But I still had quite a few KDE apps I used in Openbox. With the recent KDE 4.4 update, KDE went from bad to worse, making Akonadi truly required, Nepomuk more troublesome, breaking some of my apps, and other problems. So I decided to drop all KDE dependency. Despite some of the fine KDE apps I still think highly of, like Krusader and Kmail, I simply don't want all the overhead required to run them.

So for the last couple of weeks I've been finding replacements for the last of my KDE apps, particularly Kate, Kmail, Krusader, and k3b. I thought I would share what I found to replace these and other apps, and why I like them. I've written about some of these before but I'll try to make this a fairly complete list in itself. After trying various apps, these are the ones I chose.

Arch Linux
I already wrote about My Big Move To Arch and The Followup. Briefly, I really like the Arch way of doing things. Rolling release means there are no upgrades to do every year. Instead anytime you update packages you get the very latest. Occassionally this will break something. I find it's good to do an update when I'm prepared to spend a few minutes addressing any issues. It's also good to have a system backup. But in general I like fixing things a little at a time, instead of upgrading the whole system as is done with Ubuntu releases. I also like having access to the latest packages, and Arch has a great community build system for apps that aren't included in the official repos. So I'm very happy with Arch and I highly recommend it for anyone reasonably familiar with a distro like Ubuntu who wants to run a more customized, faster system.

Openbox and LXDE
LXDE is a great desktop which includes Openbox as its window manager, and some lightweight apps. You can also just use Openbox by itself and install other components to go with it. You edit XML files to construct your menu and add shortcut keys to do whatever you like, and add any components you want. For example, I use the excellent lxpanel as my taskbar in Openbox. It works and looks a lot like KDE3's taskbar.

Claws
After asking around, I decided to give Claws Mail a try as a replacement for the very capable Kmail. I am extremely pleased with it, and in some ways like it better than Kmail. It has most of Kmail's features. It handles HTML email a bit differently – can't send it, and converts incoming to text. This works pretty well. There is also a plugin that allows you to display HTML email but I haven't tried that – no need. It has very capable filtering, account handling, and a great UI.

Note: If you switch from Kmail, you can transfer your email as follows. Save a copy of your ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail folder. Rename all the mail files in it (using your favorite rename utility) so they have simple names like "001″, "002″, etc. Claws doesn't seem to like the semicolons and such that Kmail uses for filenames. Then, in Claws select File|Add Mailbox and specify the copy of your mail folder. All the mail will appear in Claws – look in the "cur" subfolders for the messages. Drag or copy the messages from there to your Claws mailbox folders. Then you can right-click on the mailbox you added and select Remove Mailbox. All done! Claws can also read the vcard address book format exported by Kmail, or saved in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc

PCMan File Manager
This FM, which is the default for the LXDE desktop, is the one I finally chose after reviewing a bunch of File Managers. It has support for multiple tabs which I find very useful. It does not have twin-pane like Krusader, but I find that less important, and I didn't care for the other twin-pane FMs I reviewed. One thing I missed in PCMan is user-definable functions. So I have written a mod for PCMan which adds these in a very flexible way, and also fixes a few other issues and bugs I encountered. With that mod in place, I'm very happy with this FM. It is simpler than Krusader, but I didn't actually use most of the functions in Krusader, so it's nice having a cleaner UI. This runs a lot like the Konqueror FM in KDE3. Thunar is also a notable mention – a simpler FM with a clean UI.

Bluefish
This a very Kate-like syntax-highlighting editor. I was very glad to find this editor, with a recently released version 2, because I wasn't sure what I'd find to replace Kate. It has some excellent features and some improvements on Kate as well. It's an almost perfect editor. You might also check out SciTE as another alternative to Kate.

GQView
Similar to Gwenview, GQView is a very capable image viewer. It's folder view is great – actually an improvement on Gwenview in some ways.

ePDFviewer
While not a full replacement for all the functionality of Ocular, I found ePDFviewer to be a nice lightweight app that does all I wanted – it lets me view and print PDF files.

XArchiver
I've already mentioned this replacement for Ark – it does the job.

XPad
A terrific replacement for KNotes – adds sticky notes to your desktop. Very similar to KNotes in functionality and appearance, and minimal dependencies.

ROXTerm
This was my choice to replace Konsole. Has similar features and appearance – came highly recommended on the Arch Forums.

SMPlayer and VLC
My multimedia players, these do the job!

Deluge
After reviewing a few of them, this was my replacement for KTorrent. A vast improvement!

GHex2
GHex is Gnome's hex editor, and it's one the best IMO as a general, easy-to-use hex editor.

gFTP
This gnome FTP client seems to survive on my system. Although I've tried others, I keep coming back to this because it 'just works'.

Speedcrunch
A simple yet powerful desktop calculator.

Graveman
I was planning to use Brasero as my replacement for k3b, but it couldn't use my DVD drive correctly. Graveman, once I gave it the device name "/dev/scd0″ in preferences, does the job. A nice lightweight burning app with almost no dependencies.

Import
Part of Imagemagick, the import command can be used to take desktop snapshots, similar to KSnapshot. It works great. I simply associated the following command with the "Print" key (Printscreen) in Openbox's rc.xml:

bash -c "import /tmp/screenshot-$(date +%s).png"

When I press the PrintScreen key, the mouse cursor changes to a target. I click on the window I want and a snap is written to /tmp. Very slick. Import can do other things like take multiple snapshots, etc.

Zim
I've mentioned Zim before as a personal desktop wiki. I still think its handy but a recent update messed up the theme handling and some other issues. I realized having my notes in plain text format is less volatile, so I've gone back to that. This was easy since Zim mostly uses a plain text format for storage. But Zim may still be worth checking out.

Zenity
Similar to the old KDialog but much more capable, Zenity lets you add GUI dialogs to your scripts. A good guide is here.

With these changes, I was finally able to remove kdelibs and all its junk – soprano, nepomuk, akonadi, strigi, phonon, etc. I am KDE free. To give you an idea of just how bloated and over-dependent KDE has become look what I would have to install just to install a simple file manager like Krusader:

Targets (17): clucene-0.9.21b-1  strigi-0.7.2-1  libiodbc-3.52.7-3
              virtuoso-6.1.0-1  soprano-2.4.0.1-1  qca-2.0.2-2
              polkit-qt-0.95.1-1  phonon-gstreamer-4.3.80-2  phonon-4.3.80-2
              shared-desktop-ontologies-0.2-1  attica-0.1.2-1  kdelibs-4.4.0-4
              oxygen-icons-4.4.0-1  rarian-0.8.1-1  libssh-0.4.1-1
              kdebase-runtime-4.4.0-3  krusader-2.0.0-3  

Total Download Size:    73.75 MB
Total Installed Size:   205.80 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] NO THANKS

So long KDE… have a nice trip becoming a Windows 7 clone.

--------

ps:  I'm still looking for a GUI replacement for Filelight, which was great for showing a graphical representation of disk usage.  Also, I could use an audio CD ripping app since Graveman doesn't fully replace k3b.  Haven't really looked yet but if anyone has a suggestion its appreciated.  Thanks.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2010-02-23 19:00:51)

#2 2010-02-23 19:23:19

syms

Re: Kicking The KDE Habit

well, if you want kde 4.3 packages then theres kdemod repository:

http://www.chakra-project.org/repo/kdemod-core/i686_old/

So the older kde pim packages wont need akoandi

#3 2010-02-23 19:41:08

IgnorantGuru
Website

syms wrote:

well, if you want kde 4.3 packages then theres kdemod repository:

That's good you provide those as 4.3 was less akonadi crazy.  In my case I wasn't happy with any of KDE4 so with these apps I don't need any of kdelibs and such.  I hope KDE becomes more modular because some of the apps are good, but it doesn't seem to be going in that direction.  I never tried kdemod as my issues with KDE go deeper than just it's lack of modular-ness, but it seems like a more reasonable approach from what I heard.

#4 2010-02-23 19:49:56

reed9

ps:  I'm still looking for a GUI replacement for Filelight, which was great for showing a graphical representation of disk usage.  Also, I could use an audio CD ripping app since Graveman doesn't fully replace k3b.  Haven't really looked yet but if anyone has a suggestion its appreciated.  Thanks.

I like asunder for a lightweight CD ripper.
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu … 6/asunder/

Never used filelight, but ncdu is a quick and nice ncurses disk usage utility.
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/ncdu/

#5 2010-02-23 20:17:16

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'm using xfce here, never touched kde or gnome since i've been using Arch (used to use gnome when I started using linux, that's what ubuntu uses).

You have chosen almost the same apps I use or used before, I guess you can take a look at other programs, if you are curious.

Text editors: medit, geany.

PDF readers: xpdf and evince-gtk from the aur, no reader is perfect so I have 3 to complement each other (I also have epdfview), however I guess I could drop epdfview because it renders pdfs exactly like evince and evince has more features.

Torrents: qbittorrent, I also have deluge installed but qbittorrent seems to be a bit faster than deluge (using similar settings).

Ftp client: filezilla, never tried gftp on arch but on centos it doesn't work so well and doesn't have as many features as filezilla (seems almost like a lite/cutdown version of filezilla).

Image viewer: geeqie. As far as I know the development of gqview stopped and geany forked it and continued the development.

If you ever need a dual pane file manager, give tux commander a try.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#6 2010-02-23 21:02:19

pickboy87
Website

Thanks for sharing these lightweight alternatives. I've been using KDE for a couple months now, but I enjoy the speed of openbox much more. Not to say KDE is slow, but I also like having a lean mean machine that boots instantly as well. I've been testing out apps for a few days and once I get the chance, I'll do yet another full reinstall of everything, but completely drop KDE and use a lightweight window manager instead.

Most of your apps are what I would use, but I do have a few suggestions too.

As ROOKIE pointed out, a very nice text editor/IDE is Geany. Worth a look.

Basic text editor would be leafpad.

I still can't switch from Okular (I'll have to check what it installs though), I love it too much, but for basic PDF viewing, I've heard xpdf is good.

Image Viewer - REALLY basic one is xzgv. It's install size is like 500kbs or something really small.

As for file manager, I liked Thunar better, but then again, PC was good too. I've been dinking around trying to find a nice lightweight one.

#7 2010-02-23 21:15:35

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

pickboy87 wrote:

I still can't switch from Okular (I'll have to check what it installs though), I love it too much, but for basic PDF viewing, I've heard xpdf is good.

pacman -S kdegraphics-okular
resolving dependencies...
warning: provider package was selected (phonon-gstreamer provides phonon-backend)
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (24): clucene-0.9.21b-1  strigi-0.7.2-1  libiodbc-3.52.7-3  
              virtuoso-6.1.0-1  soprano-2.4.0.1-1  qca-2.0.2-2  
              polkit-qt-0.95.1-1  phonon-gstreamer-4.3.80-2  phonon-4.3.80-2  
              shared-desktop-ontologies-0.2-1  attica-0.1.2-1  kdelibs-4.4.0-4  
              oxygen-icons-4.4.0-1  libssh-0.4.1-1  kdebase-runtime-4.4.0-3  
              qimageblitz-0.0.5-1  poppler-qt-0.12.3-1  libzip-0.9-1  
              ebook-tools-0.1.1-1  libgphoto2-2.4.7-2  libieee1284-0.2.11-2  
              sane-1.0.20-5  kdegraphics-libs-4.4.0-1  
              kdegraphics-okular-4.4.0-1  

Total Download Size:    78.63 MB
Total Installed Size:   225.14 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

okular needs exactly what you are trying to run away from tongue

As for xpdf, it renders pdfs really nicely but the interface/features are not so attractive, I use it only because of the good rendering.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#8 2010-02-23 21:24:16

pickboy87
Website

Ah...good call. Well, I guess there goes that pdf viewer smile I'll have to find a suitable replacement.

#9 2010-02-23 21:29:25

IgnorantGuru
Website

Thanks to all for the additional suggestions - I'll definitely have a look.  I'm impressed with how many nice and varied apps there are outside of the 'big name brands'.  I never really was exposed to them when I was in KDE-land.  Feels good to get out of the mainstream (again).

#10 2010-02-23 21:46:49

scio

You might want to take a look here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88515

There was another one from last year as well: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78490

These are great guides for ditching DEs.

#11 2010-02-23 21:56:43

Labello
Website

good evening,

i don't really get your point in arguing that some things in KDE changed. so what did u expect from a very ambitious project like kde? the developers strive for inventions and are looking for new paths to be walked. some things have got to change during this process of (re)structuring.

i personally switched TO arch and TO kde from Openbox/ubuntu-based(#!-Linux). because i think that the whole KDE-experience fits most in to a future oriented mind. i don't like apps that try to stay the same and follow some very special rules - as long as they aren't special apps for special tasks. but  a DE that is supposed to _enable_ you to do your work the most efficient way, then a certain degree of inovation is highle neccessary. stuff like openbox/lxde/xfce... might seem fancy because they claim to use less ram than gnome/kde but using MORE ram is BETTER in my oppinion, as long as the data stored in ram helps me anyhow to work faster smile just my two pence^^

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#12 2010-02-23 22:19:05

IgnorantGuru
Website

Labello wrote:

i don't really get your point in arguing that some things in KDE changed

I don't mean to dis KDE for everyone - I'm just speaking for myself and my uses.  I have a fast system and KDE runs fine in that sense.  It has had some RAM and bug issues and certainly isn't lightweight, but that wasn't really my issue.  I'm more troubled with their recent choices of servers (akonadi, soprano, phonon, nepomuk, etc), the security issues they introduce, the bugs and interoperability problems, and the wholly unnecessary drain on CPU and RAM.  I like to run a leaner, lighter system not just to save resources, but also because I like to know what's running and why, and I like to have control of my system.  To me KDE keeps going more toward the Windows direction of isolating the user from control of the system, dictating what has to be running, etc.  Many of the so-called dependencies aren't required for most apps at all.  Plus, my and other's bug reports are just not addressed in KDE - they've become sloppy, Windows-style, with their code.  I see KDE heading in a direction I don't like, and fast.  So I wanted to get free of dependency on it so as it goes deeper into that, I can go elsewhere.  Took me a bit of work but I've accomplished that.  Not only that, I've discovered some great apps in the process - my new system rocks.

You can check out the Library on my blog for my Big Move To Arch post and the followup, which gets more into some of the reasons, and also this thread.

If KDE still works for you and others, great.  Lots of choices.  I just advise people to be careful with KDE because I think it's getting sneaky and not very pro-user about things.  Good to know when to abandon a sinking ship.  I think the Ubuntu approach, Gnome, and KDE engender dependencies, in the sense of user dependencies.  For example, it took me awhile to move off the KDE platform because so many of the apps I used were in it.  I think stand alone apps are a better approach overall.  KDE is becoming like a members-only country club - you've got to adopt their complete philosophy just to use any of the KDE apps, or God forbid, the desktop.

Oh and I loathe Plasma.  smile  It's everything I DON'T want in a desktop.  So KDE just didn't fit me well anymore.

#13 2010-02-23 22:22:19

toad
Website

Hm, while I'm all for checking out all kinds of alternatives I don't get this windows 7 clone attack from the OP. If you don't like it, don't use it. But what is the point in badmouthing a project? Is it sour grapes, lack of style or simply bad manners? Who gives a !@#$!

Anyway, keep on patching stuff IG - much more productive afaic smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#14 2010-02-23 22:31:44

IgnorantGuru
Website

toad wrote:

Hm, while I'm all for checking out all kinds of alternatives I don't get this windows 7 clone attack from the OP. If you don't like it, don't use it. But what is the point in badmouthing a project?

Just my way of letting the KDE folks know what I think of their recent directions, and letting fellow users know that KDE isn't what it used to be, and isn't much in what I consider the spirit of Linux anymore.  Getting corporate-controlled and user-hostile.  IMO.

KDE3 was pretty cool - I'll give them that.  And some KDE apps are still darn good.  So there's a little balance for you.  I hope the many talented KDE devs leave that ship and put their talents to use outside the box.

But it's all no matter to me at this point - I've got no grudge.  Back to patching...

#15 2010-02-23 22:42:37

Bysshe

Thunar because compression utility integration is possible which is handy for zipped and rared files.  And it handles automounting/autorun and stuff when configured.    And I hate to admit it, but I use wine mostly so I can  use Exact Audio Copy since it's the best cd ripper ever.  Hehe, wine is a huge package (that's what she said) to install just to use one little app.  But hey, it doesn't seem to bother me, and it always works.  All you do is set up your encoders like you were doing it for Windows.

I don't think it matters much to have some bulky apps.  It's nice to have a few cadillacs in your garage.

KDE is just plain awful.  I remember when it started gaining development steam, there was alot of cool stuff that made it worthwhile.  Now, that it's overdeveloped it's impractical, slow, and unstable.  If I had no other choices than KDE, I would give up on Linux.   Anyway, that's a dead horse more than likely anyway.  Or a beached whale.  Whatever you prefer.

#16 2010-02-23 22:48:07

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Interesting writeup, thanks for posting.
Replacements you might consider:

Filelight:
gdmap, ncdu, xdiskusage (all from Community repo)
treesize (can download binary from http://sourceforge.net/projects/treesize/) (I like it but it can be temperamental on some systems)

audio CD ripping:
ripperx, asunder (both from Community repo)

wink

#17 2010-02-23 22:53:18

IgnorantGuru
Website

Bysshe wrote:

Thunar because compression utility integration is possible which is handy for zipped and rared files.  And it handles automounting/autorun and stuff when configured.

Thunar is a nice app - nice clean UI.  I'm actually using it on my HTPC with a custom GTK file and it's great.  I just wish they added some tabs!  By the way my PCManFM mod allows you to do things like compression integration in PCManFM now.  At some point I will probably share my particular solution for that once I get around to writing it.  My system has been in upheaval for weeks - it's a wonder I can find anything.

You don't want to discuss Wine with me.  big_smile

#18 2010-02-24 00:38:23

pickboy87
Website

I don't understand all the KDE bashing, but to each his own I guess.

Since we're talking about Thunar, I have a question. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how do you go about changing the icons in Thunar or PCManFM for that matter. I've been able to adjust the theme in obtheme, but can't figure out how to adjust icons in openbox. I know it has something to do with GTK, but what am I missing? I've tried gtk-chtheme, but it only adjusts the theme, not the icons.

Ignore my question if it starts to hijack your thread.

#19 2010-02-24 01:22:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

pickboy87 wrote:

how do you go about changing the icons in Thunar or PCManFM for that matter. I've been able to adjust the theme in obtheme, but can't figure out how to adjust icons in openbox. I know it has something to do with GTK, but what am I missing? I've tried gtk-chtheme, but it only adjusts the theme, not the icons.

Which icons do you mean?  (executable, mime, toolbar, etc)  I for one don't mind a bit of productive thread drift.  I'm no icon expert though - I have enough trouble getting text the right color.

#20 2010-02-24 01:28:56

pickboy87
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:
pickboy87 wrote:

how do you go about changing the icons in Thunar or PCManFM for that matter. I've been able to adjust the theme in obtheme, but can't figure out how to adjust icons in openbox. I know it has something to do with GTK, but what am I missing? I've tried gtk-chtheme, but it only adjusts the theme, not the icons.

Which icons do you mean?  (executable, mime, toolbar, etc)  I for one don't mind a bit of productive thread drift.  I'm no icon expert though - I have enough trouble getting text the right color.

Sorry to be so non descriptive, I just meant icons for Thunar. I know they use gtk themes, but I couldn't figure out how to make Thunar pretty. I stumbled upon using:

$ lxappearance

Just changed my icon theme. I found some icon packs at gnome-look.org, dropped it into my ~/.icons folder and loaded lxappearance. Now instead of a bland black and white theme with missing icons, it's nice and pretty smile

Edit: Here's my screen shot:
DXSZos.jpg

Last edited by pickboy87 (2010-02-24 01:31:39)

#21 2010-02-24 01:39:30

IgnorantGuru
Website

I'll have to give lxappearance a try.  I've been editing my GTK files by hand, so to speak.  Although I already have colored icons in Thunar so maybe I have something installed.  Hmmm...  so many system changes lately.

#22 2010-02-24 02:44:50

pickboy87
Website

Hmm, I still can't find a good pdf reader that's lightweight. Any suggestions for one that is able to scroll pages without skipping to the next page (A continuous page layout)? I'm using foxitreader for now, but it installs a bunch of 32 bit library files just to work in a 64 bit environment (still 20 megs is better than 200 megs for okular).

#23 2010-02-24 02:45:38

reed9

Lxappearance is quite nice.  It's always been my GTK theme manager of choice.

In the realm of pdf files, let me also throw out mupdf.  It is by far the fastest app I've used.  But I don't need much out of a pdf viewer, so I don't know how it scales if you have to work with pdfs a lot.

#24 2010-02-24 17:18:49

IgnorantGuru
Website

pickboy87 wrote:

Any suggestions for one that is able to scroll pages without skipping to the next page (A continuous page layout)?

Yes that is my issue with epdfviewer - I find that highly annoying. 

Now I've got some apps to try...

#25 2010-02-24 17:30:08

toad
Website

IG, you _may_ be interested in Archbang for some sane settings and apps for openbox. It was too late for me, but Crunchbang (of which it is an arch clone) helped me get on my feet pretty quickly when I first started experimenting with openbox (not so long ago...). Here is the thread and [wiki=http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchBang]here[/wiki] the wiki.

One feature - probably the only feature I ever liked under windows, ever - was the tiling in win7. Imagine my delight when I found out that it was present in KDE4.4 also! Having just gained that I am loathe to lose it again. And proper tiling WMs are still a step too far for me... Is there such functionality for openbox? Anybody?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer