You are not logged in.

#51 2010-02-19 00:54:29

GraveyardPC

Re: What's the one thing you hate about Gnu/Linux?

The fact that it makes me more productive...:)

#52 2010-02-19 10:23:00

ninian
Website

Regressions, regressions, regressions ...
Especially related to X and other video stuff.
"It used to work and now it doesn't after I've (ahem) 'upgraded' ..."
tongue

#53 2010-02-20 10:21:38

JezdziecBezNicka

Ok, there's one more thing I hate: mono. To think that Microsoft is willing to support free software is stupid. It's not that they are evil, it's just the company's policy. Why do people think anything has changed since halloween? Why use patented software in the foss world? I mean really: WTF!?

Edit: grammar is killing me... wink

Last edited by JezdziecBezNicka (2010-02-20 10:23:02)

This is my signature. If you want to read it, first you need to agree to the EULA.

#54 2010-03-20 19:06:11

Meskarune
Website

I also wish powersaving worked well across the board. I mean, it works great on my desktop with arch, but not laptop, or any laptop I've used before.

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#55 2010-03-22 09:12:29

Aprz

Borosai wrote:

Although not exclusive to GNU/Linux: fanatics.

hw-tph wrote:

+1

I'd also like to add "Users who think they are better than Windows users just because they use Linux". To each his own.

Primoz wrote:

I add my +1 to this post.
And it's really not exclusive to Linux.

Also I don't really hate anything in Linux, it works for me.
So only thing that I can't tolerate is Linux fanaticism of some users. To each his or her own, even if that's Windows or Mac and not Linux.
But as i said it's not exclusive to just Linux.

zyghom wrote:

+1

+1

#56 2010-03-23 21:34:56

smakked

Zealots.
and sheep , i see alot of people say they hate something because they read that a developer or someone higher in teh community hates it so they follow.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#57 2010-03-23 22:05:57

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Parroting.

There is very little (or none) on the Arch forums, but other distribution forums are full of people parroting FUD and nonsense as if it were their own facts.

#58 2010-03-23 23:18:18

ewaller
Administrator

First off, what do we mean by "Linux?"  I assume we are talking about a modern OS based upon the Linux (Or, if you wish the GNU/Linux) Kernel, a variety of shell and command line tools (by GNU and others), Xorg, a window system (KDE, GNU, XFCE4), sundry GUI utilities and applications, all held together with mortar made from HAL, DBUS, ALSA, PolicyKit and UDEV.

What bothers me is the lack of a monolithic map with a "You Are Here" flag.  When setting up systems, it would be nice to know where we are going in the future, what are the current best practices, and what is passe. 

There is an abundance of excellent technical data on all related topics going back beyond Linus' famous 'here is a kernel I've been workng on' [paraphrased] usenet post.  Much of the advice is long in the tooth, but is hard to filter by date.  When searching for help on a topic (say hardware abstraction) it would be nice to know how pearls turned up from a search engine fit into moving targets such as the decline of udev/Hal and the assention of dbus / policykit.

Case in point.  Is my previous paragraph true? I think so.  Where should I go to know what lurks in the minds of developers.  This is, of course, complicated by the fact this is a democracy.  We don't have to follow the new way.  If enough people don't, it won't gain traction.  If enough people follow, those who don't may be left behind.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on a raft, going wherever the river takes me.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#59 2010-03-23 23:24:52

KimTjik

That Linux despite all flaws unveils the stupidity of how the software market became to be.

#60 2010-03-23 23:39:16

flamelab

Aprz wrote:
Borosai wrote:

Although not exclusive to GNU/Linux: fanatics.

hw-tph wrote:

+1

I'd also like to add "Users who think they are better than Windows users just because they use Linux". To each his own.

Primoz wrote:

I add my +1 to this post.
And it's really not exclusive to Linux.

Also I don't really hate anything in Linux, it works for me.
So only thing that I can't tolerate is Linux fanaticism of some users. To each his or her own, even if that's Windows or Mac and not Linux.
But as i said it's not exclusive to just Linux.

zyghom wrote:

+1

+1

+1

and distro fighters who (for example) go  from Fedora to Arch and ask "Why doesn't pacman do that/this/the other, rpm/yum does".

Last edited by flamelab (2010-03-23 23:40:05)

#61 2010-03-24 02:34:13

Anikom15
Banned
Website

fanatic haters.

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#62 2010-03-24 14:54:41

ataraxia

The effort, time, and attention required to maintain systems. Generally, those of us who choose these free OSs do so because we want to "do computing right" and we perceive that "rightness" to be found here. Unfortunately, doing anything "right" is going to take more out of you up front than the easy alternatives. Sometimes I love reading forums and mailing lists, doing upgrades, writing scripts, and tracking upstream, but sometimes I just want a vacation from these things. That's tough to do when you can't afford to miss details.

#63 2010-03-24 15:35:39

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

ataraxia wrote:

The effort, time, and attention required to maintain systems. Generally, those of us who choose these free OSs do so because we want to "do computing right" and we perceive that "rightness" to be found here. Unfortunately, doing anything "right" is going to take more out of you up front than the easy alternatives. Sometimes I love reading forums and mailing lists, doing upgrades, writing scripts, and tracking upstream, but sometimes I just want a vacation from these things. That's tough to do when you can't afford to miss details.

Excellent observations. It would explain the "I'm leaving Arch" and subsequently "I've returned to Arch" phenomenon.
There is a part of me which longs for a no-brainer of an OS, and partially for this reason, I have Debian stable installed on a partition of one of my machines. Though, I can't remember the last time I used it.

#64 2010-03-24 15:37:13

Runiq

ataraxia wrote:

stuff

Well put. Also, +1.

Last edited by Runiq (2010-03-24 15:37:34)

#65 2010-03-24 15:55:05

kmason
Website

The fact that it doesn't seem to appeal to many companies who make software - such as ones that make games and tax software.  AFAIK, you can't do your taxes (not counting some online tools, which lack the features of the real thing), and you can't play games (at least not without using wine, which I refuse to install for the same reason as mono) in linux.

#66 2010-03-24 16:05:01

moljac024

Misfit138 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Excellent observations. It would explain the "I'm leaving Arch" and subsequently "I've returned to Arch" phenomenon.
There is a part of me which longs for a no-brainer of an OS, and partially for this reason, I have Debian stable installed on a partition of one of my machines. Though, I can't remember the last time I used it.

No brainer OS? Sounds like a paradox to me...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#67 2010-03-24 16:12:34

archlinuxsagi

wine.. a lot of games/application simply don't work..

#68 2010-03-24 17:22:39

Ranguvar

Software that feels like a giant kludge is a little more often found.

Or not even that, just software that feels very thrown-together, EasyTAG would be an example.
The software's good, but it gets the OCD in me going.

#69 2010-03-24 20:11:42

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

windows

#70 2010-03-24 21:34:34

jwwolf

ewaller wrote:

First off, what do we mean by "Linux?"  I assume we are talking about a modern OS based upon the Linux (Or, if you wish the GNU/Linux) Kernel, a variety of shell and command line tools (by GNU and others), Xorg, a window system (KDE, GNU, XFCE4), sundry GUI utilities and applications, all held together with mortar made from HAL, DBUS, ALSA, PolicyKit and UDEV.

This is the thing i hate most about Linux.

#71 2010-03-25 02:57:40

arinlares
Website

Repo freezing.  Sure, distros have their reasons, but I like having up-to-date software.

#72 2010-03-25 04:57:23

anonymous_user

I hate it when I need an app and its not GTK-based*. Most of my apps are GTK-based and I like having a uniform appearance across all apps.

*Firefox is an exception since it manages so well to fake a GTK look.

#73 2010-03-25 08:34:15

Runiq

anonymous_user wrote:

I hate it when I need an app and its not GTK-based*. Most of my apps are GTK-based and I like having a uniform appearance across all apps.

QT4 (I think) has a pretty good fake GTK theme too. At least on my machine, picard (a qt4 app) looks exactly like my GTK applications. I'm using the Elegant Brit theme.

#74 2010-03-25 17:16:35

Ranguvar

jwwolf wrote:
ewaller wrote:

This is the thing i hate most about Linux.

It's one of the things I enjoy quite a lot, actually -- the fact that everything is modular, and that it's not one giant monolithic blob.

Trying to figure out why people so angrily defend the notion that the name of the kernel should be slapped over the whole pile, well, that's almost as fun tongue

#75 2010-03-25 20:59:53

smakked

I hate how you have to NOT pay for software, that sucks.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

Board footer