You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-25 00:27:30

some-guy94

PKGBUILDs: Compiz-0.9 (compiz++)

Compiz 0.9 is the first release of compiz after the C++ rewrite, so don't expect it to be very stable.
Since this is a development release, don't expect it to be in [extra].

Here are PKGBUILDs for compiz-0.9 that don't affect you current installation.
compiz-core-09
compiz-plugins-main-09
compiz-plugins-extra-09
compiz-plugins-unsupported-09
libcompizconfig-09
compizconfig-python-09
ccsm-09

Configure compiz using ccsm-09 (a wrapper script for ccsm)
Run compiz using 'compiz-09 --replace ccp'
Start a decorator with '(gtk/kde4)-window-decorator-09 --replace'

If you have a problem, try running 'compiz-09 --replace move decor composite resize place opengl'

Ask about any bugs or regressions on #compiz-dev on irc.freenode.net

Here are compiz-git PKGBUILDs. For the running compiz, ccsm, and the window decorators, add a -git suffix to the command. (eg. compiz-git --replace ccp)
compiz-core++
compiz-plugins-main++
compiz-plugins-extra++
compiz-plugins-unsupported++
libcompizconfig++
compizconfig-python++
ccsm++

NOTE: Emerald has been discontinued since compiz 0.5 so I am no longer packaging it.

Last edited by some-guy94 (2011-01-08 19:19:48)

#2 2010-03-25 01:20:45

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: PKGBUILDs: Compiz-0.9 (compiz++)

Please confirm before I start trying this out, this will not affect my current compiz installation at all? Nor will it replace current compiz (unless I manually change compiz-fusion command line)?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-03-25 01:26:50

some-guy94

ngoonee wrote:

Please confirm before I start trying this out, this will not affect my current compiz installation at all? Nor will it replace current compiz (unless I manually change compiz-fusion command line)?

It will not affect you current installation of compiz at ALL (config files use a ++ extension, and it installs to a separate prefix).

Edited the first post to make this clearer.

#4 2010-03-25 03:00:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Seems to work. Any way to copy my config over from my old compiz? Changed so much there I'm not sure how to get it back (and I can't run both ccsm at the same time to compare).

EDIT: No window decorations, because no emerald smile. Is that to be expected?

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-03-25 03:28:07)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-03-25 03:38:59

Vrekk

I kinda got my working, I don't see how this is any better then the old compiz though

And I can't get my windows decorated.  I enabled the plugin and put "gtk-window-decorator --replace" but that didn't do anything but spit out errors.

Ngoonee: Did you add "emerald --replace" in the command part of window decorator in ccsm++? I don't know if it will work or not though, I use gtk

#6 2010-03-25 03:52:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

emerald --replace just gives me

/opt/compiz++/bin/compiz (decoration) - Warn: Property ignored because version is 20080529 and decoration plugin version is 20080901

errors under the terminal I ran compiz on. Needs newer emerald I'm sure.

Another thing is that compiz detects both my screens but only applies to one, for some reason or other.... If I run ccsm++ on the other screen (separate X server) it shows blank options totally. This is not the same as previous behaviour unfortunately.

And Vrekk - the new compiz is re-written in many ways I think, supposed to have cleaner code. Which would mean less bugs eventually and more development.

#7 2010-03-25 04:08:32

Vrekk

Hmm, that the same error code I get with "gtk-windows-decorator" gives me, so I think the problem is compiz related.

and I have the same issues with the dual screen thing (also a separate X sever)

ngoone, are you running KDE or GNOME? Just wondering how much of a difference if would make

Last edited by Vrekk (2010-03-25 04:10:27)

#8 2010-03-25 10:51:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gnome here.

#9 2010-03-25 14:33:23

pogeymanz

Vrekk wrote:

I kinda got my working, I don't see how this is any better then the old compiz though

And I can't get my windows decorated.  I enabled the plugin and put "gtk-window-decorator --replace" but that didn't do anything but spit out errors.

Ngoonee: Did you add "emerald --replace" in the command part of window decorator in ccsm++? I don't know if it will work or not though, I use gtk

Compiz .9 is not supposed to be any better than .8. It's a complete rewrite in C++ so that future coding will be easier.

#10 2010-03-25 15:23:56

gtklocker

@someguy please, tell me the _gitroot and _gitname to the compiz-decoration-gtk, in order to provide a PKGBUILD for this.

Last edited by gtklocker (2010-03-25 15:24:12)

#11 2010-03-26 20:44:46

some-guy94

gtklocker wrote:

@someguy please, tell me the _gitroot and _gitname to the compiz-decoration-gtk, in order to provide a PKGBUILD for this.

compiz-core++ builds all optional features like gtk-window-decorator or kde4-window-decoratora at build time if the dependencies are met and will go into /opt/compiz++/bin.

Emerald has been ported to compiz-0.9 so I'll make a package for it soon.

EDIT: I uploaded the pkgbuilds to the aur

Last edited by some-guy94 (2010-03-26 22:31:01)

#12 2010-03-26 23:35:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Just tried it, works fine on one screen, second screen still doesn't get anything though.

#13 2010-03-27 15:14:07

Zell_89
Website

Hi, i can't compile with cmake:
davide@chakra-desktop compiz-core++]$ makepkg -s PKGBUILD
==> Determining latest build revision...
==> Creazione del pacchetto: compiz-core++ 20100327-1 i686 (sab 27 mar 2010, 16.12.06, CET)
==> Controllo delle dipendenze per l'esecuzione in corso...
==> Controllo delle dipendenze per la compilazione in corso...
==> Download dei sorgenti in corso...
==> Estrazione dei sorgenti in corso...
==> Rimozione dell'esistente directory pkg/ in corso...
==> Entrata nell'ambiente di fakeroot in corso...
==> Avvio di build() in corso...
==> Connecting to GIT server....
Already up-to-date.
==> The local files are updated.
==> GIT checkout done or server timeout
==> Starting make...
mkdir: impossibile creare la directory `build': Il file esiste
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/home/davide/compiz-core++/src/compiz-core/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/home/davide/compiz-core++/src/compiz-core/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
==> ERRORE: Compilazione non riuscita.
    L'operazione sta per essere interrotta...

and can't compile with autogen.sh because don't exist.

#14 2010-03-27 17:24:56

some-guy94

ngoonee wrote:

Just tried it, works fine on one screen, second screen still doesn't get anything though.

Are these separate X screens or just separate displays?

AFAIK, multi-screen support is being dropped in compiz.

#15 2010-03-27 17:25:56

some-guy94

Zell_89 wrote:

Hi, i can't compile with cmake:
davide@chakra-desktop compiz-core++]$ makepkg -s PKGBUILD
==> Determining latest build revision...
==> Creazione del pacchetto: compiz-core++ 20100327-1 i686 (sab 27 mar 2010, 16.12.06, CET)
==> Controllo delle dipendenze per l'esecuzione in corso...
==> Controllo delle dipendenze per la compilazione in corso...
==> Download dei sorgenti in corso...
==> Estrazione dei sorgenti in corso...
==> Rimozione dell'esistente directory pkg/ in corso...
==> Entrata nell'ambiente di fakeroot in corso...
==> Avvio di build() in corso...
==> Connecting to GIT server....
Already up-to-date.
==> The local files are updated.
==> GIT checkout done or server timeout
==> Starting make...
mkdir: impossibile creare la directory `build': Il file esiste
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix Makefiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a different build tool.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/home/davide/compiz-core++/src/compiz-core/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCCompiler.cmake
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module file:/home/davide/compiz-core++/src/compiz-core/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
==> ERRORE: Compilazione non riuscita.
    L'operazione sta per essere interrotta...

and can't compile with autogen.sh because don't exist.

Are you sure cmake and make are installed correctly, it seems like a problem with cmake.

#16 2010-03-28 03:23:44

Vrekk

some-guy94 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Really? Why?

No love for dual (or tri) screen users

#17 2010-03-28 16:20:47

some-guy94

Vrekk wrote:
some-guy94 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Really? Why?

No love for dual (or tri) screen users

IIRC, this doesn't apply if you use randr, twinview, or big desktop, just separate X screens.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2008-December/003227.html wrote:

- Dropped multi display and multi screen support *: The multi display support
is not completed, and the multi screen support is almost unmaintainded.
Additionally, our normal proposal for bugs in the multi screen support is to
start one compiz instance per screen. Dropping multi-screen support has the
additional benifits of:
-- Per screen plugin lists (e.g. cube on one screen and wall on the other)
-- Rendering of one screen can not block the rendering of the other screen
-- Different libGL per screen (with LD_PRELOAD)
-- Simplier plugins
-- Simplier option handling

#18 2010-03-29 04:31:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

That REALLY sucks. I hate twinview with a passion, since it prevents me from locking my mouse point er on one screen and forces me to act as if I'm on windows (change the resolution to only one screen when I have a full-screen app that requires the mouse to be within the screen, for example games...).

Would it be possible to start one compiz instance per screen though, with separate X screens (not separate servers)?

#19 2010-03-29 20:55:46

some-guy94

ngoonee wrote:

That REALLY sucks. I hate twinview with a passion, since it prevents me from locking my mouse point er on one screen and forces me to act as if I'm on windows (change the resolution to only one screen when I have a full-screen app that requires the mouse to be within the screen, for example games...).

Would it be possible to start one compiz instance per screen though, with separate X screens (not separate servers)?

I don't know about that, you might want to try asking on #compiz or #compiz-dev on irc.freenode.net.

#20 2010-03-29 23:45:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Reading on the ML archives indicates that's the 'supported method'. Tried it, ran into some problems, fixed them.

For those with my setup, you need to start one instance of compiz on each screen. Make sure to kill the running compiz/emerald beforehand. I didn't get window decorations on my second screen somehow, then I realized even though the previous compiz instance had died the emerald instance was still running.

Seems to work just like the old one. A bit slower all round, and the resize is painfully slow currently. Wonder when it'll actually be released as stable (or as stable as compiz can be).

Small problem (probably packaging related), I can't use the gconf backend at all.

#21 2010-03-30 00:28:24

some-guy94

ngoonee wrote:

Small problem (probably packaging related), I can't use the gconf backend at all.

The ccp backend? If so, it probably needs to be rebuilt against the newer libcompizconfig, but then it might interfere with compiz-0.8's setting (I'm not sure)

#22 2010-03-30 01:13:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

some-guy94 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

The ccp backend? If so, it probably needs to be rebuilt against the newer libcompizconfig, but then it might interfere with compiz-0.8's setting (I'm not sure)

Yes, it would. I'm used to that backend though, the flatfile backend is a bit harder for me to navigate manually (without ccsm). Not a big deal.

#23 2010-03-30 04:47:12

Vrekk

ngoonee wrote:

Reading on the ML archives indicates that's the 'supported method'. Tried it, ran into some problems, fixed them.

For those with my setup, you need to start one instance of compiz on each screen. Make sure to kill the running compiz/emerald beforehand. I didn't get window decorations on my second screen somehow, then I realized even though the previous compiz instance had died the emerald instance was still running.

Seems to work just like the old one. A bit slower all round, and the resize is painfully slow currently. Wonder when it'll actually be released as stable (or as stable as compiz can be).

Awesome thanks big_smile

#24 2010-03-30 18:59:08

PoZiTPoH
Website

KDE 4.4.1 - cant apply decorations (gtk, kde4, emerald)...

#25 2010-03-31 01:52:19

gun26

I just built all of these compiz++ packages from the PKGBUILDs in AUR, on arch64 against gnome 2.30 in gnome-unstable. Everything built and installed okay except emerald++ needed this patch http://git.compiz.org/fusion/decorators … 8836e68d00. After enabling a bunch of the plugins with ccsm++, basic functionality is there with the gtk-window-decorator. Emerald++ mostly works too but the window border on the right side of all windows is missing. Emerald-theme-manager++ also works but when you click on a theme it enables it and then promptly crashes with this showing in the terminal from which it was started:

Gtk:ERROR:gtkfilesystemmodel.c:330:node_set_visible: assertion failed: (row < model->files->len)

Definitely a work in progress but well worth trying anyway.

Board footer