You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-17 18:06:48

mizogs

Unable to record sound with snd-hda-intel module

Has anybody managed to record sound with the above module? It is on my Asus P5Q board and the chip is AD1989B (82801JI (ICH10 family)).

I have followed many posts but have not arrived at an answer. Audacity doesn't find an input device. I have tried Ardour but can't get it to work with Jack. No joy also with flRec or RealRipper or StreamRipStar.

Mint has the same issues with this module although it will open Ardour and Jack but there is still no input getting recorded. I know this onboard sound card can record in Windows XP and 7 once the obscure right click and show hidden devices is run.

Any suggesting of what I can try next will be welcomed, thanks.

PS For sound output the card works fine.

One life - live it. (and drink the best wine first)

#2 2010-04-20 19:55:53

ctarwater

Re: Unable to record sound with snd-hda-intel module

I just got my mic working with the same module and hardware.

I tried multiple things and I'm not sure at this point if all three of these are necessary or if it's a combination of two of the three, but here's what got it working for me.

1) Install gnome-alsamixer and tick the "rec" box under the capture device.
2) add this to the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (without quotations): "options snd-hda-intel model=auto"
3) add the following to the modules section of rc.conf: !snd_pcm_oss !snd_mixer_oss !snd_seq_os0s

Hope this works for you too.

Last edited by ctarwater (2010-04-20 20:03:05)

#3 2010-04-22 10:40:02

mizogs

Thanks for looking at this. I tried your sugestions but no joy. (I was pleasently surprised that the Gnome mixer had no dependancies.)

I can record from the mic no problem but I want to record the sound going through my card from say, a web site. Are you able to do this with snd-hda-intel as your sound module and do you have the same chip listed above?

If I am able to find someone that can record from this chip I will keep at it until I crack it, if not a cheap seperate sound card may be a quicker solution.

#4 2010-04-22 11:03:20

ctarwater

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking.   I can't help you there.

#5 2010-04-22 13:29:05

brebs

mizogs wrote:

record the sound going through my card

Have you tried googling for that wink

Example.

#6 2010-04-23 10:20:42

mizogs

Yeah - I followed the link and found many posts. I have run through so many posts but none will actually confirm that this module and chip combination will record. There is a Ubuntu thread that mentions an option of "position_fix=1 enable=yes" but although it helps Audacity actually recognises some input (the meter starts registering input), I still can't record anything. There are so many capture and recording applications - once I know there is something that works I will be able to concentrate on that.

#7 2010-04-23 13:43:19

jdarnold
Website

As far as I can tell, recording the sound output with the snd-hda just doesn't work. I tried many different ways to get Audacity to record the sound and it was fail all the way. I gave up when I couldn't even get it to work on Windows with the same sound card, while the same process works fine on my other computer with a Soundblaster.

Board footer