You are not logged in.

#26 2010-03-25 01:36:46

mythus
Website

Re: JWM---info, blog, jwmrc's...whatever

For background picture, set pcmanfm to set desktop. pcmanfm has settings to set wallpaper.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#27 2010-03-25 20:16:17

reflets de vert
Website

Thank you... I miss to look in the menus of pcmanfm... searching more complex...

Interesting!

I'm against internet totalitarians of any kind.
And like cheese's humor.

#28 2010-03-25 21:55:25

mythus
Website

No problem, glad to help.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#29 2010-03-29 21:46:49

reflets de vert
Website

Hello,

Some people in the french forum said me that pysdm isn't a good solution to mount usb key and that it can be difficult to use hardware, and that there is a problem with dbus that doesn't start.

It were adviced to me to start a dbus session with modifications of configuration file of WM.

I modified the .jwmrc:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<StartupCommand>
# D-bus
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi
</StartupCommand>

But it doesn't work.

echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS

didn't return something, and usb keys are not mounted by pcmanfm, but only by pysdm

And like cheese's humor.

#30 2010-03-30 00:23:51

reflets de vert
Website

I finally found that skvm (package skvm-hg in AUR) works very fine for usb keys or cameras, but we must add it to daemons in /etc/rc.conf

It allows pcmanfm, dolphin or others to mount and dismount usb keys.

And like cheese's humor.

#31 2010-07-05 08:55:28

reflets de vert
Website

It was adviced to me to use two commands:

exec ck-launch-session /usr/bin/jwm

in .xinitrc
it launch console kit, and allows to use usb keys

<TrayButton icon="/usr/share/icons/nuoveXT2/32x32/apps/gnome-session-halt.png">exec:dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop </TrayButton>
       <TrayButton icon="/usr/share/icons/nuoveXT2/32x32/apps/gnome-session-reboot.png">exec:dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart</TrayButton>

To restart and halt without giving password

Last edited by reflets de vert (2010-07-05 08:57:33)

And like cheese's humor.

#32 2010-12-18 17:45:38

pjezek

JWM on my thinkpad X40 works well as configured according Joe's JWM web page. The only inconveniency issues from posix locales - I cannot switch to my native (Czech utf8). When I export my LANG locale manually, all looks well but no response of the desktop. How to set and keep locales for another languages then US? Thanks for any help...

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#33 2010-12-26 00:33:11

reflets de vert
Website

I don't know how to set locale for JWM.

Maybe if I search…

I have some problem to have a Desktop with icons. It seems like pcmanfm don't manage desktop… or I can't find the function…

And like cheese's humor.

#34 2011-06-02 02:49:02

Mr. Swillis

For all the background setting related issues: try nitrogen. The minimalists seem to swear by feh, but nitrogen actually has a smaller installed file size. Resource usage? I don't know, but it really doesn't matter. It's a background setter. You're going to run it for 30 seconds to change your wallpaper.

Nitrogen has a nice GUI interactive mode that is called with "nitrogen" (no options) and "nitrogen --restore" can be thrown in the StartupCommand section of .jwmrc and will automatically set the background to whatever you last set it to.

Oh, and you really don't need a desktop manager like pcmanfm or rox or whatever. The concept of a desktop as a "folder" is totally flawed. If all you want is icons and/or the ability to set your background, use something like nitrogen or feh for the background and there are a couple of options for icons:

1) idesk can get you some ok looking desktop icons (works about as well as the icons with pcmanfm)
2) lxpanel is a lightweight panel that you can slap on one of the sides or the top of the screen, make transparent, and add launchers to (this is the option I use)

- Swill

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

#35 2011-09-29 18:24:20

innn

could smn please help me I'm trying to bind winkey +d to showdesktop but it does not work, this is very ugly from my beloved jwm
I have this in .jwmrc:

<Key mask="P" key="d">showdesktop</Key>

this results in:

JWM: warning: /home/xxx/.jwmrc[185]: invalid Key action: "showdesktop"

also I have to add another on the nerves:
Alt+Tab only cycles through windows that are not minimized which is not so ideal or so I think
Has anybody using jwm witnessed this as well?
It's been some time since reading puppy linux forums the guys there patch jwm to have this treat that I acknowledge it actually did have in the past but not now.
Also the jwm package in repo is outdated, but I ain't packager yes I know my bad smile

Last edited by innn (2011-09-29 18:42:42)

#36 2011-09-29 19:15:23

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I'll get in touch with Sergej, see if I can pick it up from him.

#37 2011-09-30 05:54:45

innn

@keenerd   thank you
I packaged myself 2.1.0 version --latest, installed  it but the changes are horrendous the win key no longer can be binded to anything

Last edited by innn (2011-09-30 05:55:24)

#38 2011-09-30 07:10:39

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Updated, but I have no idea what is wrong with the win/super/mod4 binding.

#39 2011-10-24 06:53:00

innn

I've managed to  use <Key mask="4" > for Super_L key, but now I get even greater trouble, got no idea why am am not able to use the up_arrow to browse command history in xterm, jwm does something with the other windows on that key
anyone else witnessed this?

#40 2011-10-24 07:06:27

innn

encore
how to use the print key to exec some command like scrot is a mystery and no finding it documented also.
please someone help

Last edited by innn (2011-10-24 07:18:30)

#41 2011-10-24 07:22:36

innn

I discovered with the help of a puppy linux thread that finding with the means of xev program the keycode for the printkey works
so having this <Key keycode="107">exec:scrot....</Key>  enables me taking sceenshots with the Printkey

#42 2013-04-01 13:04:55

f1tzl4nd

Hopefully a simple question.

Is there some secret to having accelerator keys (not sure if right terminology) on the jwm menu.

I've got key bind to bring up the root menu; however, from there it appears I must use arrow keys or mouse to select menu items. The behavior I would prefer is Super_L + Space to bring up root menu and then C to bring up (C)onfig menu, or A to bring up (A)ccessories menu, or G to bring up (G)raphics menu. Is this making since. It happens by default in Openbox, and I would like to have same behavior in jwm.

If it's not possible, I'll stop this little experiment with jwm.

Thanks for any help.

Board footer