You are not logged in.

#26 2010-07-20 11:35:08

karol
Archivist

Re: ]SOLVED] BIOS is not displayed on screen during bootup but...

Let's start again.
The problem si the screen goes black when booting, preventing you from picking the right OS (Arch!) from grub.
The default OS is your grub is Windows. Windows itself works fine, just the splash while booting is replaced by a black screen.

Is the above info correct?

#27 2010-07-20 11:44:26

partymteroid

karol wrote:

Let's start again.
The problem si the screen goes black when booting, preventing you from picking the right OS (Arch!) from grub.
The default OS is your grub is Windows. Windows itself works fine, just the splash while booting is replaced by a black screen.

Is the above info correct?

Yes, the problems are indeed those.

And of course hooking my brother's laptop to my computer didn't work; the OS runs the external monitor. >_>

#28 2010-07-20 11:47:34

karol
Archivist

> And of course hooking my brother's laptop to my computer didn't work
What? How did you do that?

If you can test the monitor, we could rule out one possibility - that it got damaged. Make the notebook use the external screen (your monitor) only, and see if it works: does it boot, show splashscreen etc.

#29 2010-07-20 12:06:44

partymteroid

karol wrote:

If you can test the monitor, we could rule out one possibility - that it got damaged. Make the notebook use the external screen (your monitor) only, and see if it works: does it boot, show splashscreen etc.

I have the laptop hooked up to my monitor via HDMI, but the BIOS is not displayed on the monitor; it's shown on the laptop screen.  I'm sure this means that the external monitor hookup is controlled by the operating system.

I have one other monitor, and it's a CRT that's hooked up via VGA.  I'll try hooking that up in a sec.  Gonna shut down to be safe.  Don't touch that dial! big_smile

#30 2010-07-20 12:25:45

partymteroid

partymteroid wrote:
karol wrote:

I have the laptop hooked up to my monitor via HDMI, but the BIOS is not displayed on the monitor; it's shown on the laptop screen.  I'm sure this means that the external monitor hookup is controlled by the operating system.

I have one other monitor, and it's a CRT that's hooked up via VGA.  I'll try hooking that up in a sec.  Gonna shut down to be safe.  Don't touch that dial! big_smile

Alright, the CRT monitor worked via a VGA adapter that came with my video card; however, I also hooked my monitor up via VGA (it came with a cable for it).

Sooooo... it must be the DVI cable.  Both DVI connections on my monitor have proven to work, and it's unlikely that BOTH of them are broken...

... so, conclusion: DVI cable.  Gonna try to buy one soon.

EDIT: unless you have any other ideas? :V

Last edited by partymteroid (2010-07-20 12:26:09)

#31 2010-07-20 12:30:28

karol
Archivist

> EDIT: unless you have any other ideas? :V
No, actually that was my initial idea. The problem comes and goes, so it's an "analog" issue. A "digital" one would mean that it either works or not - until you flip a switch or sth. If you don't touch anything and it suddenly stops working, than it starts working again - it's the cable.
EDID problems mean that either the monitor arrrr the link is broken. Thankfully, it's only the cable.

#32 2010-07-20 12:38:52

partymteroid

karol wrote:

> EDIT: unless you have any other ideas? :V
No, actually that was my initial idea. The problem comes and goes, so it's an "analog" issue. A "digital" one would mean that it either works or not - until you flip a switch or sth. If you don't touch anything and it suddenly stops working, than it starts working again - it's the cable.
EDID problems mean that either the monitor arrrr the link is broken. Thankfully, it's only the cable.

Alrighty, I'll mark this as "solved" again, then. smile

Board footer