You are not logged in.

#26 2010-07-28 01:27:55

talnotag

Re: [solved] ext4 removable media usable by anyone on any computer.

Just need a as convenient as possible 1.5To USB key. It would mostly be used with Linux so NTFS is not my choice, and vfat can't handle big files (I produce some stop-motion video from 12Mp pictures as a hobby, I sometimes work with 20Go+ files).

And "chowning" recursively all files in such a sized partition everytime I plug it somewhere else or log with a different user could be a pain, I think.

EDIT @fsckd You deleted your last post before I post my answer ^^

Last edited by talnotag (2010-07-28 01:30:31)

#27 2010-07-28 02:01:27

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Sorry, added it back.

For the most part, the UID tends to be 1000 (Debian Ubuntu, etc, but Fedora uses 500). You don't have to worry. If you know the users, you can ask what UID they will want to access the filesystem as and you can chown ahead of time. There is no good technological solution to this problem. If you want to try a different filesystem, search under man mount for a filesystem type that has the uid= mount option. But be careful, not all of the filesystem types with that option are for regular disks.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#28 2010-07-29 01:03:28

talnotag

fsckd wrote:

Sorry, added it back.

For the most part, the UID tends to be 1000 (Debian Ubuntu, etc, but Fedora uses 500). You don't have to worry. If you know the users, you can ask what UID they will want to access the filesystem as and you can chown ahead of time. There is no good technological solution to this problem. If you want to try a different filesystem, search under man mount for a filesystem type that has the uid= mount option. But be careful, not all of the filesystem types with that option are for regular disks.

FIrst, thanks for your time.

I think chmod 777 is a good solution, since my files don't require any sort of security : no top secret documents, no executables files to be infected by some sort of malware, not anything that could require even just an UID check. Just want a dumb storage USB device just like anybody have always a couple in his pocket.

Board footer