You are not logged in.

#26 2010-08-20 06:43:14

Chaniyth

Re: Is it possible to use Arch like a source-based distro?

ngoonee wrote:

Specific examples? I don't think Xyne implemented any opt-dep stuff, it probably wouldn't even be possible to parse optdeps reliably currently.

It's wanting to pull in libX11, gnome-doc-utils, tcl, tk and about 30+ more packages I don't have installed and that I don't currently need. I don't even have xorg installed yet, this is literally a clean install of Arch, yet it's wanting to pull in alot of xorg packages too compile as well. I dunno why it's pulling in those deps, other than they are probably optional dependencies.

Edit: It seems that I needed to add the --nodeps flag too recompile only the packages I currently have installed on my system. Is this problem a possible bug?

Last edited by Chaniyth (2010-08-20 06:44:14)

#27 2010-08-20 06:46:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah yes, the makedeps. Sorry, its obvious now that you mention it. Some packages (most) have makedeps that are required to actually build the packages, but not to run them. Even with --nodeps you would need to have those packages to do the compiling.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#28 2010-08-20 06:49:50

Chaniyth

Ohhhh, ok! o.O

Thanks ngoonee! big_smile

I've been using Arch for about 2 years, and Linux since 1998(?) I still feel like a noob sometimes. sad

Last edited by Chaniyth (2010-08-20 06:59:59)

#29 2010-08-20 07:41:38

Chaniyth

Is there a flag to pass to not ask Y/N too install packages once they r done compiling? I'd like for this process too happen as I sleep, thanks.

#30 2010-08-20 11:22:03

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Chaniyth wrote:

Is there a flag to pass to not ask Y/N too install packages once they r done compiling? I'd like for this process too happen as I sleep, thanks.

*edit: Nvm, I've added a "--pacman-noconfirm" option to handle this. It's currently only available from the repo on my site because I'm still testing the restructured parallelization code. I'll push it to [community] once I've done a bit more testing.*

Btw, as ngoonee correctly pointed out, those "extra" packages are the makedeps. If you just want to build your target packages, then you can use the ABS option instead of the BuildAll option. You can also use the AutoBuild option to specify certain packages. Combined with AutoPatch it should enable automatic upgrades for customized packages.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-08-20 11:39:48)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#31 2010-08-20 11:26:32

Allan
Pacman
Website

ngoonee wrote:

it probably wouldn't even be possible to parse optdeps reliably currently.

It is.  We added a restriction on optdepend format to makepkg so that pacman could parse them in the future.

#32 2010-08-20 12:03:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Allan wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

it probably wouldn't even be possible to parse optdeps reliably currently.

It is.  We added a restriction on optdepend format to makepkg so that pacman could parse them in the future.

Ah, that's cool. Wouldn't that mean some AUR packages wouldn't be installable? I'm pretty sure I've seen some with non-existant optdeps (misspelt etc).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#33 2011-08-10 17:52:38

hasufell

i don't know if this is considered a necro-bump, but i just came back here from google (top hit) and wanted to add the obvious if anyone is looking for it.

Most of the stuff mentioned here is now easily achievable via "yaourt", if you want to recompile your whole System and all the dependencies needed for the packages and the making of them run for example

yaourt --noconfirm -Sbb $(pacman -Qq | grep -vx "$( pacman -Qmq )")

and use customizepkg beforehand to automatically apply changes to certain PKGBUILDs

bauerbill was moved to "oldprojects" as it seems.

#34 2011-08-14 05:28:54

poltak

hasufell wrote:

i don't know if this is considered a necro-bump, but i just came back here from google (top hit) and wanted to add the obvious if anyone is looking for it.

Most of the stuff mentioned here is now easily achievable via "yaourt", if you want to recompile your whole System and all the dependencies needed for the packages and the making of them run for example

yaourt --noconfirm -Sbb $(pacman -Qq | grep -vx "$( pacman -Qmq )")

and use customizepkg beforehand to automatically apply changes to certain PKGBUILDs

bauerbill was moved to "oldprojects" as it seems.

Wonderful! I didn't even think of this smile
Just a question though: is there an arg to automatically tell it to not install the built packages? As in if you were compiling for an i686 machine on an x86-64 host?

As I'm trying to build for my i686 netbook on my desktop and it keeps trying to automatically install it (because of --noconfirm) and then stopping the entire process after the first package.

I like Arch

Board footer