You are not logged in.

#176 2010-12-22 00:34:06

hunterm

Re: Disadvantage of using Arch Linux?

awfulrofl wrote:
Cyrusm wrote:
hunterm wrote:

Arch doesn't really have as much support as distros like Ubuntu and Fedora.

not really sure what you are trying to say. Arch has an awesome wiki, an intelligent and helpful community, well moderated forums,
multiple IRC channels....

what else could you possibly want?  if you aren't happy with the support, maybe you should consider asking for a refund.

I would have to agree here also.  Our Arch Wiki is one of the best help areas for any distro of linux that i've seen.  Even if some of the info is outdated on it, its a better start than having to search forums for your topic.

Um, I ment that it doesn't have as much support by companies or by other developers. I've only seen about 2 programs online that provide native Arch Linux packages that I don't need to get from the AUR.

Also, the Arch Wiki is great. I agree with support, but developer support (as in companies, stuff that ubuntu gets all the time), Arch is lacking.

#177 2010-12-22 00:59:41

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Carlwill wrote:

I would like a morris code release of Arch Linux. Think how fun the installer would be...

I think you mean 'Morse' code. smile

Arch Linux Installer wrote:

• − −   •   • − • •   − • − •   − − −   − −   •   /   −   − − −   /   −   • • • •   •   /   • −   • − •   − • − •   • • • •   /   • − • •   • •   − •   • • −   − • • −   /   • •   − •   • • •   −   • −   • − • •   • − • •   •   • − •

Last edited by cesura (2010-12-22 00:59:58)

#178 2010-12-22 01:03:32

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

hunterm wrote:

Um, I ment that it doesn't have as much support by companies or by other developers. I've only seen about 2 programs online that provide native Arch Linux packages that I don't need to get from the AUR.

Also, the Arch Wiki is great. I agree with support, but developer support (as in companies, stuff that ubuntu gets all the time), Arch is lacking.

Market share my friend. You could just as well say that many more companies provide native Windows packages. Does that make Windows better than Arch/Linux? (opinions vary, of course)

Besides, most of those companies provide source tarballs, which can be compiled by hand or uploaded to the AUR, which is much more convenient in my opinion.

#179 2010-12-23 03:17:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:

Sad how languages divide people, isn't it?

Or, how language divides people.

#180 2010-12-23 04:04:34

Cyrusm

hunterm wrote:
awfulrofl wrote:
Cyrusm wrote:

not really sure what you are trying to say. Arch has an awesome wiki, an intelligent and helpful community, well moderated forums,
multiple IRC channels....

what else could you possibly want?  if you aren't happy with the support, maybe you should consider asking for a refund.

I would have to agree here also.  Our Arch Wiki is one of the best help areas for any distro of linux that i've seen.  Even if some of the info is outdated on it, its a better start than having to search forums for your topic.

well, if you know any eccentric multi-billionaires like Mark Shuttleworth that are willing to advertise for their companies at the expense of this amazing distribution, please let them know "thanks, but no thanks."  I work in that kind of support. Just because you pay money for it, or someone makes money from it, does NOT mean it is any better. and I personally would like to keep this form of support as far away from the Arch community as possible.  If you disagree with this, then as Kurt Vonnegut once wrote, "Go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, go take a flying fuck at the MOOOOOONNNNN!"  because this distribution is made by people experienced with Linux FOR people experienced with Linux. if you are not happy with the support provided than please contribute to the wiki and/or forums or you are welcome to choose from one of the many flavors of Linux that suits your needs.   Thank you and have a good day.

Edit: standard disclaimer: this is the opinion of only myself, which of course may or may  not be the opinion of the arch linux community.

Last edited by Cyrusm (2010-12-23 04:24:58)

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#181 2010-12-23 10:40:06

Awebb

itsbrad212 wrote:
Carlwill wrote:

I would like a morris code release of Arch Linux. Think how fun the installer would be...

I think you mean 'Morse' code. smile

I think he meant Phillip Morris. Smoke signs then.

#182 2010-12-29 06:36:21

GI Jack

lack of a good GUI front end for pacman. Somehow I don't think most Arch Linux users would go for that though.  Grouping desktop packages into "types" would be very good, as to know what desktop and window manager things go for before install, also descriptions of packages, more than a little spartan. I'm also guessing the typical Arch Linux user doesn't care because he knows what he wants from years of using other distros.

edit: On the bright side, I'm really diggin the BSD INIT, and I can run a full modern desktop OS on my old Pentium 3 I dug out of the closet after years of disuse, running the latest version of firefox.

Last edited by GI Jack (2010-12-29 06:37:24)

#183 2010-12-29 08:10:57

kikinovak
Website

GI Jack wrote:

lack of a good GUI front end for pacman. (..)  Grouping desktop packages into "types" would be very good, as to know what desktop and window manager things go for before install, (...)

That's precisely one of the reasons I'm currently moving my business (http://www.microlinux.fr) to Arch. Plain command-line, 100% transparent, without any GUI cholesterol. Figuring out the gory details is fun thanks to the excellent documentation. Huge pat on the shoulder for the developers.

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#184 2010-12-29 18:48:18

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

awfulrofl wrote:
Cyrusm wrote:

well, if you know any eccentric multi-billionaires like Mark Shuttleworth that are willing to advertise for their companies at the expense of this amazing distribution, please let them know "thanks, but no thanks."  I work in that kind of support. Just because you pay money for it, or someone makes money from it, does NOT mean it is any better. and I personally would like to keep this form of support as far away from the Arch community as possible.  If you disagree with this, then as Kurt Vonnegut once wrote, "Go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, go take a flying fuck at the MOOOOOONNNNN!"  because this distribution is made by people experienced with Linux FOR people experienced with Linux. if you are not happy with the support provided than please contribute to the wiki and/or forums or you are welcome to choose from one of the many flavors of Linux that suits your needs.   Thank you and have a good day.

Wow.

#185 2010-12-29 23:35:48

deficite

Misfit138 wrote:
awfulrofl wrote:
Cyrusm wrote:

Wow.

+1

#186 2010-12-30 01:16:18

Allan
Pacman
Website

Someone can pay me if they want to tongue

#187 2010-12-30 01:40:19

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Allan wrote:

Someone can pay me if they want to tongue

[OT]
I think we have a winner...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/userlist.php? … t_dir=DESC
[/OT]

Last edited by cesura (2010-12-30 01:43:34)

#188 2010-12-30 01:45:56

zbreaker

Disadvantage of using Arch Linux?

From a linux user since only 2004 who has jumped from pillar to post looking for the Holy Grail......
absolutely none.....Arch is perfection....my Slackware days are numbered me thinks.

#189 2010-12-31 11:48:31

Damnshock

anonymous_user wrote:

Isn't the devel stuff just included in the regular packages?

Not in all of them (KDE anyone?) wink

They should come apart anyway hehe

Then again... is just to find a downside of using Arch if any!

Regards,

Damnshock

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#190 2010-12-31 11:52:32

Damnshock

Carlwill wrote:

The most spoken language in the world is Mandarin.

Well, that's not exactly true: it is the most spoken if we are talking about mothertongues.

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#191 2010-12-31 19:25:53

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Damnshock wrote:
Carlwill wrote:

The most spoken language in the world is Mandarin.

Well, that's not exactly true: it is the most spoken if we are talking about mothertongues.

Every single source that I have found is telling me that Mandarin is still the most widely spoken overall. wink

#192 2010-12-31 20:19:25

SS4

It's too easy to reinstall meaning I end up reinstalling instead of figuring out why / was 100% full

Rauchen verboten

#193 2011-01-03 05:03:40

anonymous_user

Because Arch is rolling release, updates are less exciting. By the time a new Ubuntu is close to release I'd be super happy because I know the repos will have all newer software.

Secondly because Arch is a DIY/barebones type of distro, there are no default features or programs to look forward to. If you want something, you just install it yourself. With distros like Ubuntu and CrunchBang, the default set of applications can be subject to change and it always interesting to see how the selection changes.

These two points should be called differences as opposed to disadvantages however it is something that I miss. OTOH these differences are what I like about Arch to begin with.

Board footer