You are not logged in.

#76 2010-10-02 10:15:59

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: pkgstats round two: take your vote and help improving Arch

hatten wrote:

How the hell can one of the participants not have pkgstats installed?

While developping the script, Pierre probably ran it a few times to test it.

#77 2010-10-03 18:35:15

theapodan

Current top five countries:
Germany        17.18 %
United States    15.85 %
Russian Federation        7.16 %
France        6.77 %
Poland        4.91 %

Are there really more German arch users than any other nationality?

If this is possible, it might be interesting to see server statistics from archlinux.org to see how many unique visitors there are from each country and see how that jives with the pkgstats results.  This would probably overrepresent english-speaking countries though, although forum users seem to be from about everywhere.

If there are more German arch users, guten tag!

Also, I just read through this thread again.  Of the people who identify their location, it appears at a glance that the majority are from countries other than the US.

I don't know if my suprise is due to my inherently US-centric American outlook, or due to the fact that archlinux would appear to be 4 times more common per capita in Germany than the US.

Last edited by theapodan (2010-10-03 19:01:21)

#78 2010-10-03 20:51:31

Giselher
Website

theapodan wrote:

Current top five countries:
Germany        17.18 %
United States    15.85 %
Russian Federation        7.16 %
France        6.77 %
Poland        4.91 %

Are there really more German arch users than any other nationality?

If this is possible, it might be interesting to see server statistics from archlinux.org to see how many unique visitors there are from each country and see how that jives with the pkgstats results.  This would probably overrepresent english-speaking countries though, although forum users seem to be from about everywhere.

If there are more German arch users, guten tag!

Also, I just read through this thread again.  Of the people who identify their location, it appears at a glance that the majority are from countries other than the US.

I don't know if my suprise is due to my inherently US-centric American outlook, or due to the fact that archlinux would appear to be 4 times more common per capita in Germany than the US.

There is a very active archlinux.de community and the developer pierre is from germany. While he tested it, he (and other archlinux.de memebers) probably spamed the stats with germany.

#79 2010-10-03 21:13:21

Giselher
Website

What I find most interesting is that Austria is second in "Countries (relative to population)" and 8th in "Countries". That with only 9 milion habitants. I know only myself and melpo (and we're both ArchHurd packager tongue ).

#80 2010-10-04 07:59:58

siriusb

For me it was a surprise that Arch 64 bit users exceed the 32 bit ones in numbers. Somehow people usually go for 32 bit regardless the OS.

What wasn't surprise that Hungary is nowhere in the statistics. Actually I only know of two other guys using arch sad
Ubuntu is very popular among linux users here, and it's the easiest way. tongue I started with ubuntu myself years ago.

I'm very curious about the outcome of pkstats. Wondering how many packages will fall out from the official repos.

Last edited by siriusb (2010-10-04 08:02:22)

#81 2010-10-04 08:42:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm curious why compiz doesn't show up at all under 'fun statistics'.... And why 54% of users have Gnome installed but only 31.8% have Nautilus, its default file-manager.

The second one I'd assume that the package being tracked as 'gnome' is in fact pulled in even by non-Gnome users? Don't understand about compiz though, surely it has more than 1-2%...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#82 2010-10-04 11:48:49

lymphatik

Lowest number of installed packages      1

Is that a bug or an admin having fun with the database. Because I really do not understand how this could be achieved

#83 2010-10-04 13:44:44

anonymous_user

Install everything from source except for one package maybe?

#84 2010-10-04 13:45:53

kittykatt
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

Install everything from source except for one package maybe?

That would take forever. xD

- [ My Blog ] | [ AUR Packages ] | [ My deviantART ] | [ screenFetch ] | [ SilverIRC ] -

#85 2010-10-04 14:27:50

kmason
Website

ngoonee wrote:

I'm curious why compiz doesn't show up at all under 'fun statistics'.... And why 54% of users have Gnome installed but only 31.8% have Nautilus, its default file-manager.

The second one I'd assume that the package being tracked as 'gnome' is in fact pulled in even by non-Gnome users? Don't understand about compiz though, surely it has more than 1-2%...

I agree, Compiz needs to be listed, and there needs to be some way of checking what window manager/desktop environment actually gets used (especially since installing compiz usually pulls in both Gnome and KDE).

#86 2010-10-04 15:11:08

kittykatt
Website

My bash tool, screenfetch, is able to collect data on currently running window manager. Might want to take a look at the source if you want to try detecting.

I think I might integrate pkgstats functionality into screenfetch itself and use it as an optional flag. big_smile

- [ My Blog ] | [ AUR Packages ] | [ My deviantART ] | [ screenFetch ] | [ SilverIRC ] -

#87 2010-10-05 20:46:07

Pawlerson

hokasch wrote:

It's not a mediaplayer, it is a multimedia framework - and besides browsers, is pulled in by gnome.

But in general, I trust the people who check this data to be aware of the dependencies.

It's also pulled by some KDE part unnecessary imho, because it doesn't suck only in gnome. If someone doesn't want to have gstreamer installed some other Phonon backend like VLC or XINE has to be installed before installing KDE. Gstreamer is just squeezed in when someone installs KDE. The funny thing is stats say Gnome is more popular then KDE, but Dolphin is the most popular file manager same time. Konqueror is very popular too and I doubt Gnome users install Dolphin or Konqueror, so how is this possible? smile Btw. what's behind KDE and Gnome in the statistics? There's KDE group no more.

#88 2010-10-06 10:05:55

tlvince
Website

hatten wrote:

Heh, this helped me weed out some unnecessary packages from core that i had installed, just check what the rest of the folks have uninstalled.

I've been doing the same. Knocked together a quick script -- pacman-ls.sh -- to list packages installed per repo (and their corresponding counts).

#89 2010-10-06 10:08:05

Allan
Pacman
Website

tlvince wrote:
hatten wrote:

Heh, this helped me weed out some unnecessary packages from core that i had installed, just check what the rest of the folks have uninstalled.

I've been doing the same. Knocked together a quick script -- pacman-ls.sh -- to list packages installed per repo (and their corresponding counts).

Or:

pacman -S pacman-contrib
paclist core

Sorry...  big_smile

#90 2010-10-22 06:14:04

kokoko3k

It gives me this:

[kokoko3k@Gozer ~]$ sudo /etc/cron.weekly/pkgstats
Password: 
curl: (60) SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
 of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
 bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
 using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
 the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
 problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
 not match the domain name in the URL).
If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
 the -k (or --insecure) option.
Sorry, data could not be sent.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#91 2010-10-22 06:52:19

Pierre
Developer
Website

Is it possible that you somehow screwd your certificates store provides by ca-certificates? Try update-ca-certificates --fresh as root.

#92 2010-10-22 07:35:07

kokoko3k

I don't know why my certificates was screwd, now it works fine, thank you Pierre.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#93 2010-10-23 21:11:04

Primoz

OK I'm getting a strange problem. Last time I did pkgstats -s it worked but now it doesn't show the packages installed on the system.
Why is that?

Also with pkgstats -d I get this error:

0000: Failure: Parameter packages could not be read.
Failure: Parameter packages could not be read
== Info: Connection #0 to host www.archlinux.de left intact

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#94 2010-10-23 21:19:01

Pierre
Developer
Website

Does "pacman -Qq" output anything?

#95 2010-10-23 21:21:55

Primoz

Yes it does. The whole list of what I'm guessing are the installed packages.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#96 2010-10-24 20:34:49

Leonid.I

Average number of installed packages: 866

Cf, my system:

>>>pacman -Qq | wc -l

And we keep callin Ubuntu a bloatware?

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#97 2010-11-09 02:30:45

rbr28
Website

I agree having stats is better than not having stats...at least you have the option to use them however you choose.  As others mentioned though, the stats could be somewhat misleading.  Ufraw is one of my most heavily used applications, but I don't install it from the repository.  I always use a version from cvs.  Sometimes I have to do the same w/ Digikam.  In both cases, it's nice to have the most current version in the repository, but at any one time I may be using a cvs version instead, until the repository version gets to where I want it to be.  What's probably most important to me in these cases is having all the dependencies very up-to-date, so I don't end up having to compile all the dependencies also.  One of the reasons I like arch, is because the vast majority of packages are so current and when I do have to compile something, I never have to worry about also compiling a long list of dependencies because all the packaged ones are too old.  Anyway, I do my part and send my stats.  In my experience the Arch developers make good decisions and although I may or may not agree with whatever decisions are made based on the stats, I have more confidence that the stats will have a positive impact than a negative one.

Vern

#98 2010-11-09 07:25:06

senjin
Website

rbr28 are you aware, that even if you compile something yourself, you can put it into package and let pacman manage the installation (and deinstallation later)? It's very useful.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

#99 2011-01-12 05:44:38

Ryujin
Forum Fellow
Website

I run Arch in multiple datacenters with 100++ installs

I am thinking about running pkgstats on all of these machines, but since it may represent a bump in the data I want to ask - any objections?

#100 2011-04-01 22:12:11

mencargo

Ryujin wrote:

I run Arch in multiple datacenters with 100++ installs

I am thinking about running pkgstats on all of these machines, but since it may represent a bump in the data I want to ask - any objections?

I think it would be good, it represents a specific sector, but any install is valid for statistics.

Board footer