You are not logged in.

#26 2005-03-21 22:26:56

pixel

Re: Yet another Arch Linux review

Good work Eugenia, maybe more people will open their eyes to the beauty of Arch...

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

#27 2005-03-21 22:31:37

johnisevil
Website

Before switching over to Arch on all my machines I was a long time Slackware user.  The 2 things that appealed to me most about Arch is not only is it constantly up-to-date but I can do a complete distro upgrade without having to backup all my files and do a clean install.  Don't get me wrong, Slackware is great.  But its big fault lies in the fact that for a distro that's been around for as long as it has, Pat has made no effort to implement a way to do distro upgrades without having to use mediocre third-party software like swaret or slapt-get.  Arch's selling point for me was that I could install it once and be able to use it a year later without needing to reinstall it.

#28 2005-03-21 23:21:58

xerxes2
Website

I like the header on the article, and so many comments also,
*me heads over to post on osnews*

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#29 2005-03-22 08:02:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

how can rating "ease of use" say anything except - " i found it harder than other distros i have reviewed"

That is basically just the dumbest thing i have ever seen - totally unquantifiable bullshit - i'd be ashamed of myself if i trawled out that kind of crap for a living

#30 2005-03-22 09:53:51

dp
Website

pixel wrote:

maybe more people will open their eyes to the beauty of Arch...

i hope not!

keep it secret! don't let others know how usefull arch is!

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#31 2005-03-22 19:24:24

lucke

dp wrote:
pixel wrote:

i hope not!

Beauty? What beauty? Judging from the review and comments, keeping Arch a secret is like doing a favour to whole linux community - no gui tools, no hardware autoconfiguration, no checkinstall, bleeding edge packages, which may cause some minor problems? Naaaah, you won't fool me. Even CRUX's better - just ask vicious ;-)

Apart from that, I want to file a complaint. I've never intended to post anything irrelevant on this forum. But you guys and your jokes are just too evil for me to bear (koala?) and leave without response :-/ You shall now suffer because of my utter puniness, yarr! You can run, but you won't hide. */me joins the everlasting party*

#32 2005-03-22 19:46:56

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

lucke wrote:

Even CRUX's better - just ask vicious ;-)

hah!

#33 2005-03-22 21:49:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

lucke wrote:

Apart from that, I want to file a complaint. I've never intended to post anything irrelevant on this forum.

uh... but... how else are you supposed to catch up to phrakture's post count?

:-D

Dusty

#34 2005-03-22 21:50:06

dp
Website

lucke wrote:
dp wrote:
pixel wrote:

i hope not!

Beauty? What beauty?

beauty? a woman can be beautifull, but software? hä? arch is usefull to me as an OS. it's a very usefull tool in this world of IT because of it's concept. - that is my personal opinion. if you don't think the same, don't bother to tell me if it is not constructive. if it is constructive, please let me know, so that we can make this world a better place even more.

lucke wrote:

Judging from the review and comments, keeping Arch a secret is like doing a favour to whole linux community

i wish it would be so - but popularity is a one-way street: you cannot become unknown from one day to the other

lucke wrote:

- no gui tools,

what for?

lucke wrote:

no hardware autoconfiguration,

hwd, lshwd, ask /proc, ask dmesg, ... - i almost wanted to write RTM but i will not, because it's not the way we solve problems in this forum

lucke wrote:

no checkinstall,

there is ABS with an even better concept of it - it keeps packages in a dependency tree

lucke wrote:

bleeding edge packages

i like it, because it solves security holes and doesn't mess with patching old versions to death

lucke wrote:

Apart from that, I want to file a complaint.

if it is constructive, sure, feel free

lucke wrote:

I've never intended to post anything irrelevant on this forum. But you guys and your jokes are just too evil for me to bear (koala?) and leave without response :-/ You shall now suffer because of my utter puniness, yarr! You can run, but you won't hide. */me joins the everlasting party*

if you think i'm joking that arch should be kept secret, you are wrong: it is a serious statement. a too fast growth of a population (=community) is often causing the system to become unstable.

maybe because of misconceptions i misunderstood some of your text - sorry for this

#35 2005-03-22 22:10:25

lucke

No problem, dp, I'm used to the fact that nobody understands me :-P

My post was meant to be utterly sarcastic, reffering to all those silly comments on osnews. I'm supporting Arch with my whole heart and I really see no point of giving it any more publicity - as I have already pointed out somewhere amongst those evil comments :-) Moreover, I don't want your and other devs/contributors/community members efforts to go for a waste :-P I really appreciate all your work.

Dusty, that's why I've changed my mind. After parting IRC few days ago and leaving quite a big part of my life behind me, I shall now follow a new path and become yours, dp's, phrakture's, cactus's, skoal's (and whatever other beings with a decent sense of humour are out there) side-kick. Against your will, hopefully (I always like it difficult, mind you). And that way, while creating havoc and destruction, I shall pursuit the unimaginable amount of posts and eventually become  ... yhm, I don't know who yet, but I guess I have plenty of time to think about it - my imagination is in good shape and such amount of posts can be problematic and time consuming to achieve. You'd better force me back on IRC, because I guess I just produced another useless and pretty OT post, mwahaha!

#36 2005-03-22 22:19:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

lucke wrote:

Dusty, that's why I've changed my mind. After parting IRC few days ago and leaving quite a big part of my life behind me, I shall now follow a new path and become yours, dp's, phrakture's, cactus's, skoal's (and whatever other beings with a decent sense of humour are out there) side-kick. Against your will, hopefully (I always like it difficult, mind you). And that way, while creating havoc and destruction, I shall pursuit the unimaginable amount of posts and eventually become  ... yhm, I don't know who yet, but I guess I have plenty of time to think about it - my imagination is in good shape and such amount of posts can be problematic and time consuming to achieve. You'd better force me back on IRC, because I guess I just produced another useless and pretty OT post, mwahaha!

wow, what do I say to that?

#37 2005-03-22 22:20:59

smith

I know what dp is saying about keeping Arch a secret.  When I was using Gentoo, I quit contributing to the Gentoo forums because of all the crap I had to get through to read anything interesting.

I have nothing to say, and I am saying it.

#38 2005-03-22 22:27:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the funny thing is... even if the community was to get huge with people saying "change X" and "change Y" - I have a feeling judd would just sit back and shrug his shoulders...

#39 2005-03-22 22:36:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's what he's been doing so far. If he caved into user demands, all the *real* arch users would go away... probably start up their own distro.

As Judd recently posted on his blog:

When I started it in early 2002, I never thought this many people would like it.  It was supposed to be my favourite distro, tuned to my tastes.  But apparently other people share my tastes.

#40 2005-03-22 23:25:33

dp
Website

lucke wrote:

No problem, dp, I'm used to the fact that nobody understands me :-P

My post was meant to be utterly sarcastic, reffering to all those silly comments on osnews. I'm supporting Arch with my whole heart and I really see no point of giving it any more publicity - as I have already pointed out somewhere amongst those evil comments :-) Moreover, I don't want your and other devs/contributors/community members efforts to go for a waste :-P I really appreciate all your work.

sidekicks are allowed, as long as they are constructive ;-)

i like sarcasmus!

#41 2005-03-22 23:36:53

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty wrote:

That's what he's been doing so far. If he caved into user demands, all the *real* arch users would go away... probably start up their own distro.

As Judd recently posted on his blog:

When I started it in early 2002, I never thought this many people would like it.  It was supposed to be my favourite distro, tuned to my tastes.  But apparently other people share my tastes.

judd has a blog?

#42 2005-03-22 23:58:45

pixel

dp wrote:
lucke wrote:
dp wrote:

i hope not!

Beauty? What beauty?

beauty? a woman can be beautifull, but software? hä?

Call me the real geek/hacker if you want but for me playing with computers is an art.
For me the CLI screen with bash is more beautiful than your women, I would even choose to read some good book of Plato or Marsilio Ficino over sex anytime.. but that's just me.

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

#43 2005-03-23 00:26:22

dp
Website

pixel wrote:
dp wrote:
lucke wrote:

Beauty? What beauty?

beauty? a woman can be beautifull, but software? hä?

Call me the real geek/hacker if you want but for me playing with computers is an art.
For me the CLI screen with bash is more beautiful than your women, I would even choose to read some good book of Plato or Marsilio Ficino over sex anytime.. but that's just me.

my fault: i forgot that taste is subjective

#44 2005-03-23 00:36:40

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

judd has a blog?

yep.

#45 2005-03-23 08:44:45

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Dusty wrote:
phrakture wrote:

judd has a blog?

yep.

where?

#46 2005-03-23 12:02:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lets slashdot it big_smile

#47 2005-03-23 14:44:42

lanrat

dp wrote:

Remember "The Beach" ? roll

#48 2005-03-23 15:50:37

dp
Website

iphitus wrote:
Dusty wrote:
phrakture wrote:

judd has a blog?

yep.

where?

on his website i guess

#49 2005-03-23 17:57:44

skoal
Website

6 months?  Eugenia, I see you got hit by the 'bug' in more ways than one.  We'd knew you'd be back. 

Arch is the retirement home for distro hoppers.  So, hop on your 'little rascal', eat your oatmeal, and keep a low profile just above the dashboard in your car.  It's sunny Florida here...

Me and my 'wife' Arch are about to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.  I plan on watching many a sunset in 'her' loving bosoms.  Truly, these are the 'golden years'...

#50 2005-03-23 19:07:39

arooaroo
Website

skoal wrote:

6 months?  Eugenia, I see you got hit by the 'bug' in more ways than one.  We'd knew you'd be back. 

Arch is the retirement home for distro hoppers.  So, hop on your 'little rascal', eat your oatmeal, and keep a low profile just above the dashboard in your car.  It's sunny Florida here...

Me and my 'wife' Arch are about to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.  I plan on watching many a sunset in 'her' loving bosoms.  Truly, these are the 'golden years'...

:shock: (Too much booze for Skoal, methinks) smile

Board footer