You are not logged in.

#26 2011-01-21 22:29:41

xenofungus

Re: FuzzyTime

caminoix wrote:

Also, is the es/son and de la mañana/tarde/noche really used in a casual conversation? If you asked a friend what time it is, would you expect to hear either of these?

The casual way of telling the time in spanish is like the longer way, but the part of the day (mañana/tarde/noche) is implied if possible, which means most of the time, specially if you are asking what time is it now. The verb (es/son) can be implied, but it does not make the sentence any more casual; I don't think it's worth duplicating the text just for that.

#27 2011-01-22 20:11:51

caminoix
Website

Oh, OK then, xenofungus. I'll try to arrange it all the best way I can. Thank you for your help!

#28 2011-01-22 21:55:35

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

xenofungus wrote:

Don't know about south-central-american spanish, but in spanish from spain this sounds more natural...

Ha, I apologize. Spanish is not my first language, and I'm obviously still learning (probably noticeable through my unnecessary usage of el and la), so what I gave is most likely not how it's "casually" spoken. smile

EDIT: Oh, and I noticed I forgot to replace some of the quince's with cuarto's. tongue

Last edited by cesura (2011-01-22 22:05:09)

#29 2011-01-24 12:41:00

caminoix
Website

Uploaded a new version.

Among other things, it features --style=3 for Spanish, which includes the "de la mañana/…" bit. So, xenofungus and itsbrad212, if you can put it to some testing, it will be great.

@all
If you can provide a translation for your language, it will be lovely. Currently supported are: Danish (partial), Dutch, English, French, German, Greek (partial), Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Spanish (partial) and Turkish. ("partial" means that point 2. from the list below is missing.)

What I'm going to need in order to add a language, are essentially two things:

1. The casual "names" for the times listed below. The kind of answer that you'd expect to hear from a friend if you asked him or her what time it is ("ten past six", five to noon" &c.)
23:45, 00:00, 00:15, 12:00, 22:00, 22:10, 22:20, 22:30, 22:35
Plus:
a) any time that you think steps out of the system (like 12:30 has a separate name in Turkish),
b) an information on whether you actually use the words for 'noon' and 'midnight' when telling the time, and
c) on whether you use the phrases such as 'five past half past six' (I know, sounds weird in English; try to say it in your own language) &c.

2. The casual "names" for the times listed below, when counting down. The kind of answer that you'd expect to hear if you asked "When do we have to leave?" – "In five minutes" / "Ten minutes ago".
2h 30m, 1h 30m, 1h 15m, 45m, 15m
(All both for "in …" and "… ago".)

#30 2011-04-16 16:26:32

nikolardo
Website

I used to use a semi-customized version of fuzzyclock, and now using fuzzytime I have a request for that same small customization:  Capital Letters.  Perhaps have this a cstyle?  I have one of my Conkys (conkies?) display the fuzzy time on my desktop, and it just looks nicer to see "Twenty-five past Twelve" than "twenty-five past twelve".  Only the first letter of numbers should be capitalized, not "past" or "to" - also, not the second number in hyphenated numbers - "Twenty-five" rather than "Twenty-Five".  Shouldn't be too difficult, right?

#31 2011-04-17 11:09:13

caminoix
Website

I've uploaded a new version and I hope it does just what you're asking for. It only works in the clock mode, though, because I don't really know where capitals should go in the timer's output, according to the British preferences. I'm a continental person, sorry smile Let me know if it's not how you like it.

#32 2011-04-17 20:46:39

nikolardo
Website

It looks great!  Granted, I haven't seen it run for 12 hours, but it looks perfect.  Classyclock.

#33 2011-04-22 16:31:30

caminoix
Website

I'm very happy to hear you like it, nikolardo smile

Uploaded a new version with support for Swedish (thanks Closey).

#34 2011-04-26 10:20:01

caminoix
Website

Uploaded a new version with support for Italian (thanks erm67).

#35 2011-11-27 13:32:57

Sara
Website

Thanks a lot for this terrific program, which is really the work of genius. Works very well piped in my dvtm statusbar. Might you possibly make the audio file customizable? I have other mp3s on my computer that sound a little less alarming than a crow wink.

Registed Linux User 483618

#36 2011-11-28 21:22:29

caminoix
Website

@Sara
I'm very happy to hear that you find it useful! Haha, yes, well, I'd say this was sort of the whole point of using a crow for the alarm sound: to make it sound alarming wink But you are right, of course. I added a cli option to set the command for sound. Please let me know if it doesn't work or is not good enough a solution for you. Usage instructions below.

@all
I've uploaded a new version. You can now set the command to play the alarm sound (in the clock mode) with --o or --sound. You have to set the entire command because I didn't want to add mp3 players as a dependency, so just use your favourite. Also, you'll probably want to append "&> /dev/null" at the end of the command so that the clock doesn't display the output from the player. Example invocation:

fuzzytime clock --sound "aplay /usr/share/fuzzytime/sound.wav &> /dev/null"

#37 2011-11-29 04:06:44

Sara
Website

I don't know what I'm doing wrong exactly, but I am getting the following error once the time's up and the sound is supposed to play:

fuzzytime: No match in record selector sound

My default mp3 player is minmad, but I've tried aplay with the same result. My clock is piped to my dvtm statubar via the following script:

#!/bin/sh
FIFO="/tmp/dvtm-status.$$"

[ -e "$FIFO" ] || mkfifo "$FIFO"
chmod 600 $FIFO

while true; do
	echo "battery [$(~/bin/batt.sh)%] \
$(fuzzytime clock -p1 -a0 --sound "minmad /home/sara/.cache/fuzzytime/sound.mp3 &> /dev/null")"
	sleep 0
done > $FIFO &

STATUS_PID=$!
zsh -i -c "dvtm -s $FIFO \"$@\" 2> /dev/null"
kill $STATUS_PID
rm $FIFO

And I just checked with replacing my fuzzyclock line with one with no "--sound $ARGUMENT", so as to use to the default sound, and the same issue appeared. I didn't have an issue with the default sound prior to today's update.

Edit: I only edited this post to replace #!/bin/zsh with #!/bin/sh, since there is no zsh specific code, other than the fact that I launch dvtm in a zsh shell.

Last edited by Sara (2011-11-29 21:58:01)

#38 2011-11-29 22:05:14

caminoix
Website

You're not doing anything wrong, Sara. It is my fault, of course. A stupid mistake and too quick a test. Very sorry. Please check the new version, I hope this one works as it should.

#39 2011-11-30 01:50:27

Sara
Website

caminoix wrote:

You're not doing anything wrong, Sara. It is my fault, of course. A stupid mistake and too quick a test. Very sorry. Please check the new version, I hope this one works as it should.

Yes, this works as expected. Though one tiny feature request: Can unsetting the timer terminate the alarm sound specified with the --sound option? At the moment, I have to unset the timer and pkill my alarm, so it would be nice if unsetting the timer took care of the latter.

Thanks a lot for the fix smile.

Edit: Actually, you can ignore this request now as I just shortened the mp3 to a reasonable length, so it wouldn't be an inconvenience (I think the original length was >= 10 minutes, and now I made it 15 seconds).

Last edited by Sara (2011-12-04 05:59:36)

#40 2011-12-29 22:57:31

Edootjuh

I'd like to provide an alternative Dutch translation. Sorry to make this so difficult, but the way litemotiv translated is not how it is in some parts of the Netherlands, for example where I live (in the south).

23:45   kwart voor traalf
00:00   middernacht / twaalf uur
00:15   kwart over twaalf
12:00   twaalf uur
22:00   tien uur
22:10   tien over tien
22:20   tien voor half elf
22:30   half elf
22:35   vijf over half elf

In this way, it should never say twintig (20) or vijfentwintig (25).

As for the timer mode:
2h          twee uur
2h 30m  twee en een half uur
1h 30m  anderhalf uur
1h 15m  een uur en een kwartier
45m       drie kwartier
15m       een kwartier

in ...       over ...
... ago    ... geleden
now       nu

EDIT: D'oh, this was included in Style 2 >.< Just ignore this.

EDIT2: Okay, just one other suggestion: could you separate the styles that say midnight instead of twelve and the style that uses ten past half past ten instead of twenty to eleven, if that's not too much trouble?

Last edited by Edootjuh (2011-12-29 23:12:11)

#41 2011-12-30 22:03:11

caminoix
Website

Uploaded a new version with Japanese by Jens Petersen (thank you!).

@Sara:
I'm sorry for not adding the alarm termination you asked for. Truth be told, it wasn't too smart of me to write fuzzytime in Haskell at which I'm not good at all and can't even solve as simple a feat as this. I guess I should rewrite the whole thing in something I'm better at. I promise I will add this if I ever do.

@Edootjuh:
As a matter of fact, I was going to make a completely new interface for customization which would allow for this kind of finer tuning. But I have very little time for programming so it might take a good while, I'm afraid. I don't want to make the change you asked for in the main branch because it would be against how all the other languages are treated. I can send you a version suited just for you, though. I'll just need your e-mail address because it seems this forum mailer doesn't support attachments.

#42 2011-12-31 12:38:04

Edootjuh

caminoix wrote:

Uploaded a new version with Japanese by Jens Petersen (thank you!).
@Edootjuh:
As a matter of fact, I was going to make a completely new interface for customization which would allow for this kind of finer tuning. But I have very little time for programming so it might take a good while, I'm afraid. I don't want to make the change you asked for in the main branch because it would be against how all the other languages are treated. I can send you a version suited just for you, though. I'll just need your e-mail address because it seems this forum mailer doesn't support attachments.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

One question, do you happen to be good at programming in Mono (C#)?

#43 2011-12-31 22:14:39

caminoix
Website

Edootjuh wrote:

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Sent. Let me know if it's not exactly what you want.

Edootjuh wrote:

One question, do you happen to be good at programming in Mono (C#)?

No, not at all, sorry. I'm a total amateur and don't even spend much time toy programming. Are you asking with reference to Sara's question?

#44 2012-01-01 01:40:26

Edootjuh

caminoix wrote:

No, not at all, sorry. I'm a total amateur and don't even spend much time toy programming. Are you asking with reference to Sara's question?

No, no, I was just asking because I've been trying to implement it in C#, just as practice, I'm not planning on releasing it, and was wondering if it would be any help to you.

#45 2012-01-01 08:50:48

caminoix
Website

Edootjuh wrote:

No, no, I was just asking because I've been trying to implement it in C#, just as practice, I'm not planning on releasing it, and was wondering if it would be any help to you.

Oh, thanks, but unfortunately I don't think it would be much help. If I run into difficulties with it sometimes, it's always because of Haskell -- because it's so very different from everything else, C# included. It's a great language but some tasks that you would normally think trivial, can complicate everything a lot.

If you change your mind about releasing it one day, feel free, just use a different name, please smile

Last edited by caminoix (2012-01-01 08:51:14)

Board footer