You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-02 01:27:02

Phlogiston

No sound over hdmi, ION2 system

Hi there

I'm trying to get sound output over hdmi connection without any success. I'm totally out of ideas as I tried it with openelec.tv and a xbmc live system. All the time I never heard anything. I tested with speaker-test and mplayer. I tried stuff from the guide here: http://breden.org.uk/2010/09/30/shuttle … ta-2-live/, http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157347 and also from xbmc wiki:

-different settings of asound.conf (however afaik this does not affect speaker-test -D plughw:X,Y -cN)
-options for the snd-hda-intel module
-unmuting
-different input channels of my receiver
-different nvidia driver versions

Here are my specs:

• [card: (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU ION (GT218) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

• NVIDIA Driver Version: 260.19.29

• kernel: 2.6.36-ARCH

• alsa: 1.0.23

• Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver using hdmi 1.4 cable

aplay -l                                                                                                                                  
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                                                                                                                      
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]                                                                                           
  Subdevices: 0/1                                                                                                                                                
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                                                                                                     
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
  Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                                                                                
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 

What I noticed is that dmesg does not show any hdmi hotplug event, something like: "HDMI hot plug event: Pin=5 Presence_Detect=1 ELD_Valid=0"

So I thought maybe you arch linux people have some creative ideas what the problem is here?

PS: It can't be the hardware because it works with windows7.

#2 2011-01-02 01:30:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: No sound over hdmi, ION2 system

Does audio over HDMI work when the nvidia module isn't loaded? The 1st gen AppleTV has that issue, but I cannot imagine nVidia's ION platforms suffering from the same problem on Linux...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-01-02 02:04:10

Phlogiston

.:B:. wrote:

Does audio over HDMI work when the nvidia module isn't loaded? The 1st gen AppleTV has that issue, but I cannot imagine nVidia's ION platforms suffering from the same problem on Linux...

No, does not work either... I need to help to figure out why the hotplugging and detecting of the receiver does not even work.

#4 2011-01-02 18:35:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Can't help with that I'm afraid, running a HDMI cable from my AppleTV to my TV here sad.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2011-01-02 18:42:28

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@op - see my /etc/asound.conf for an ion1 and adjust accordingly.

https://github.com/graysky2/configs/blo … sound.conf

Last edited by graysky (2011-01-02 18:46:10)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer