You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-28 08:54:13

Zibi1981

[SOLVED] Plasma Desktop segfaults after recent KDE update to ver. 4.6

Today after upgrading some amount of packages, including the new KDE 4.6, my Plasma Desktop "segfaults" every single time I login into my account. I tried to send some information regarding this issue using KDE's internal reporting system, but unfortunately it tells me, that those information are irrelevant. Does anyone experience "segfaulting" of the Plasma Desktop after recent KDE upgrade? I'm looking for some help on how to solve this issue, as for the moment my Arch is dead...

Last edited by Zibi1981 (2011-01-28 18:47:24)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#2 2011-01-28 09:39:04

ilpianista
Fellow developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Plasma Desktop segfaults after recent KDE update to ver. 4.6

do you use some extra plasmoid? if so, you need to rebuild them.

#3 2011-01-28 14:01:33

Zibi1981

Hmm, you may be right indeed, but how to do it when my OS presents with a black desktop, event when I boot using fallback kernel.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

#4 2011-01-28 14:18:31

panosk

Zibi1981 wrote:

Hmm, you may be right indeed, but how to do it when my OS presents with a black desktop, event when I boot using fallback kernel.

Actually, it is KDE that is giving you trouble, not the OS smile. When you reach the kdm login screen, don't login. Instead, switch to a tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1, for example) and login from there. Then, you can see a list with all your plasmoids with

plasmapkg -l

If you find the culprit plasmoid, and it is a plasmoid downloaded outside Arch's repos (from kde-look.org, for example), remove it with

plasmapkg -r plasmoid_name

If the plasmoid is installed as a package, it is probably better to uninstall/upgrade it using pacman.

Last edited by panosk (2011-01-28 14:19:13)

#5 2011-01-28 18:46:41

Zibi1981

Your suggestions were very useful panosk, thank you, although I had to modify strategy described above. After switching to tty1 and login to my account I typed the command

plasmapkg -l

but received something like "cannot access to X server" or similar. So I decided to login as usual and as fast as I was able I managed to run console before plasma crashed.  Luckily console was working even when plasma desktop was dead. Then I made use of the command mentioned above and found the culprit plasmoid, which was smooth-tasks (AGAIN!). After rebuilding it from AUR everything seems to be O.K. so far.

Once again thanks smile

#6 2011-01-28 20:34:45

gedgon

Zibi1981 wrote:

Does anyone experience "segfaulting" of the Plasma Desktop after recent KDE upgrade?

Yes, very often, not always, during logout.

#7 2011-01-29 13:23:42

vendion
Website

This is happening to me on one of my systems, I was not using an extra plasmoid, but I have also removed all of the KDE configurations and it is still happening.  I redownloaded and installed all the KDE incase I had a package that was bad or a .pacnew file that I didn't see.  I can't figure it out, not sure if it is graphic card related in my case, using the readion driver for my ATI radion 4200HD card.

Is the plasmpkg part of KDE or is it seperate because I get a command not found.

Last edited by vendion (2011-01-29 13:24:56)

#8 2011-01-29 15:07:35

panosk

vendion wrote:

This is happening to me on one of my systems, I was not using an extra plasmoid, but I have also removed all of the KDE configurations and it is still happening.  I redownloaded and installed all the KDE incase I had a package that was bad or a .pacnew file that I didn't see.  I can't figure it out, not sure if it is graphic card related in my case, using the readion driver for my ATI radion 4200HD card.

Is the plasmpkg part of KDE or is it seperate because I get a command not found.

It is part of kdebase-runtime.

#9 2011-08-05 21:53:54

Encho

panosk wrote:

Actually, it is KDE that is giving you trouble, not the OS smile. When you reach the kdm login screen, don't login. Instead, switch to a tty (Ctrl+Alt+F1, for example) and login from there. Then, you can see a list with all your plasmoids with

plasmapkg -l

If you find the culprit plasmoid, and it is a plasmoid downloaded outside Arch's repos (from kde-look.org, for example), remove it with

plasmapkg -r plasmoid_name

If the plasmoid is installed as a package, it is probably better to uninstall/upgrade it using pacman.

panosk wrote:

do you use some extra plasmoid? if so, you need to rebuild them.

Hi all,
I have the same problem. I tried using tty, but I got  "cannot access to X server". Than I tried
Alt+F2 to run Terminal, I used

plasmapkg -l

in order to see the list of all the plasmoids, but I couldn't find the "culprit" plasmoid. I don't know if I am doing it right. Here the list of my plasmapkg:

[encho@x~]$ plasmapkg -l
plasmapkg(1986)/libplasma Plasma::PackageStructurePrivate::createPackageMetadata: No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/home/encho//metadata.desktop"
BbalL
KMLDonkey
MolmassCalculator
activitybar
akonotes_list
akonotes_note
albums
amarok_containment_vertical
barapplet
battery
binaryclock
blackboard