You are not logged in.

#26 2011-01-31 21:35:08

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Last console kit package upgrade broke permissons in Gnome

In what world is trying to help considered spamming wonder?

I can confirm both on my laptop (using xdm) and on my AppleTV (where Xbmc is launched directly from inittab) the sessions don't report as local. I use shutdown/reboot directly on my laptop, so that doesn't really pose a problem, but Xbmc obviously won't work anymore. So it's not just slim.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#27 2011-01-31 21:41:20

wonder
Developer
Website

spamming like "i do have this problem, i have this in .xinitrc etc." and after 10 more messages i found that it has slim.

any other graphical expect kdm/gdm/lxdm doesn't support consolekit. xdm has a feature request on the tracker, slim might be fixed today/tomorrow

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#28 2011-01-31 21:50:27

RkG
Website

Silly me, coping /etc/pam.d/login.pacnew to /etc/pam.d/login worked like a charm. And the corresponding advertise was, effectively in /var/log/pacman.log... mental note, check always pacman.log after an update... thanks wonder

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." — Jazz composer and bassist, Charles Mingus

#29 2011-01-31 21:54:09

wonder
Developer
Website

i'm just furios to see users suggesting  to downgrade consolekit. they don't have to downgrade anything. if in the past used the correct procedure, they wouldn't notice anything wrong. it would work out of the box.

they must take care of pacnew. that is well know from ages.

if something doesn't work that is because new pam.d/login was installed as pam.d/login.pacnew or they are using slim or xdm

#30 2011-01-31 21:55:06

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

RkG: if you update through pacman it will always mention when files are installed as .pacnew. No need to check pacman's log for that, just read what pacman prints in your console.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#31 2011-01-31 22:17:02

ernia

wonder wrote:

guys, stop messing the polkit files. that is not the right way.

if you guys still have problems while with consolekit 0.4.1 works, then is all about shadow. I think you guys didn't merged /etc/pam.d/login.pacnew

sorry, i misunderstood, reading this i thought you were saying that the problem was shadow and not slim.
i've just come back to archlinux and i did not have the .pacnew file that you said.
i got slim working following suggestion https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=886415 post #5, hope that you do not consider this spam too.
i think that your avatar is not suitable to you ;-)  last post for me, sorry again

#32 2011-01-31 22:37:01

RkG
Website

.:B:. wrote:

RkG: if you update through pacman it will always mention when files are installed as .pacnew. No need to check pacman's log for that, just read what pacman prints in your console.

Yeah, but my last update was 2-3 weeks ago (a ton of packages to update), and usually I leave the computer while updating, I prefer to check the logfile... but last months I didn't had a single problem, so simply I've forgotten a bit "the Arch way"... I felt almost "the Ubuntu way", but without using  software 6+ months old  :-)

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." — Jazz composer and bassist, Charles Mingus

#33 2011-01-31 23:27:39

skunktrader

Assuming you have mlocate/slocate installed, the output of

locate pacnew

could be instructive

#34 2011-02-01 08:33:56

mirsh

wonder wrote:

guys, stop messing the polkit files. that is not the right way.

if you guys still have problems while with consolekit 0.4.1 works, then is all about shadow. I think you guys didn't merged /etc/pam.d/login.pacnew

Thank you wonder  smile

I merged /etc/pam.d/login.pacnew with /etc/pam.d/login  and now everything works smile

Last edited by mirsh (2011-02-01 08:58:13)

#35 2011-02-01 19:14:52

Velophile

Just echoing what .:B:. posted in #24.  My machine is not using a DM at all, initrc kicks off a XBMC users session and .xinitrc ck-launch-sessions the xbmc app stand alone and I was unable to reboot or shutdown until I rolled back consolekit to 0.4.1.4.

#36 2011-02-02 00:23:23

Aphanic

@Radioactiveman, monzer4819 and all other people who start X in inittab with su:

ConsoleKit and su/sudo don't work together at the time of writing, which is a shame because I too have a machine I use alone and I'd like to boot right into the DE without using any login manager. Using ck-list-sessions would show that the session is neither active nor local even though it is, while login in a shell and running startx then (using ck-launch-session) works as expected.

In case it's of any use for you I have left a policy granting file here [1], it's broken down into different permissions but I think * can be used as a wildcard (e.g. org.freedesktop.udisks.*); there may be more or less actions in your system, run pkaction yo see which ones you have. Choose which ones you want and who to grant them to, if you wish to grant them to a specific user use unix-user:username as the identity. Then copy the contents in a file (e.g. some-policies.pkla) and that file to /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/ as root, otherwise you won't be able to access the directory.

You can use it to be able to do some things like using NetworkManager or automounting USB drives for example even if you're starting the X server directly from inittab.

Hope it helps, kind regards.

[1]: http://archlinux.pastebin.com/MqAaEfGC

#37 2011-02-03 02:32:55

cgarcia

wonder wrote:

i'm just furios to see users suggesting  to downgrade consolekit. they don't have to downgrade anything. if in the past used the correct procedure, they wouldn't notice anything wrong. it would work out of the box.

they must take care of pacnew. that is well know from ages.

if something doesn't work that is because new pam.d/login was installed as pam.d/login.pacnew or they are using slim or xdm

Sure?

Mu /etc/pam.d/login (latest version) ends in:

-session    optional    pam_ck_connector.so nox11

What is the purpose of the "-" character at the beginning of the line?. I have not found documentation about it, but I suspect that it could well be entirely ignored, despite not being the "#" comment character. The "nox11" termination should not be there too:

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/11/11/draft-article-5307

Anyway, if the display manager is console-kit aware and properly initiates the session, pam doesn't matters. I did not succeeded getting permissions on XFCE by dunning ck-launch-session (no matter the pam configuration changes I tried, included the proposed nox11 removal). I only succeeded after installing the patched xorg-xdm with consolekit support.

#38 2011-02-03 09:30:18

wonder
Developer
Website

@cgarcia try this with slim https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22680#comment71766

the "-" character means that it would load that module if exists and ignore if doesn't.

Last edited by wonder (2011-02-03 09:30:57)

#39 2011-02-04 02:31:06

cgarcia

wonder wrote:

@cgarcia try this with slim https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22680#comment71766

the "-" character means that it would load that module if exists and ignore if doesn't.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not tried again slim (it takes in my system a few _seconds_ to display the login window), but the other recipes posted in that tasklist also don't work for me (except downgrading consolekit to 0.4.1-4). Or installing the patched xmd with consolekit support; this last my final choice, which don't requires ck-launch-session. Note that I use XFCE4 though.

After dozens of tests I figured that the required attributes are active=TRUE and is-local=TRUE (if any is FALSE, no proper permissions are granted). Yes, playing a bit I have even managed to get active=FALSE and is-local=TRUE inside a XFCE4 interactive session!. The login-session-id doesn't matters. In fact, this is my current situation and permissions work. Somebody says in the tasklist that login-session-id doesn't appears in 32bit systems but I do get it in 32bit leaving startxfce4 to start X (no display manager).

I suspect that there is still some stuff broken.

#40 2011-02-09 01:50:28

TheAmigo

I think I'm having the same problem, but I'm not sure....

Symptoms:

• USB drives get desktop icon, but clicking says "Failed to mount... Not Authorized"

• NetworkManager connects to WiFi, but attempting to start an openvpn connection produces the dialog "...failed... No user settings service available"

My setup is similar, but slightly different to others here:
I use qingy in inittab:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty1
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty2
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty3
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty4
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/qingy tty5

and it runs my .xsession which contains:

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

NetworkManager is started at boot, my daemons line from rc.conf is:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid dbus hal rpcbind nfs-common nfs-server !network networkmanager netfs @cpufreq @crond @sshd @bluetooth @cups @vboxdrv @pulseaudio @vmware @mysqld @httpd @fwrules @atd @ntpd @oss @dhcpd)

I don't have any .pacnew files in /etc/pam.d

Versions:

#pacman -Q | egrep -i 'networkmanager|qingy|consolekit|shadow|pam'
cnetworkmanager 0.21.1-3
consolekit 0.4.3-2
networkmanager 0.8.3-0.20110113
networkmanager-openvpn 0.8.2-1
networkmanager-vpnc 0.8.2-1
pam 1.1.3-1
qingy 1.0.0-1
qingy-theme-arch 2.0-2
shadow 4.1.4.2-4

Any logs I should be looking at?

I just ran pacman -Syu and it updated 305 packages.  I'd been holding off because I have problems with the newer kernels.

Board footer