You are not logged in.

#26 2005-04-04 14:10:43

Virtual DarKness
Website

Re: [stable] repository

hi,
here's my 2 cents [:)]:

- if you want something 100% stable the "go for debian" tip is right; if you say that debian is outdated.. then ubuntu or similar but I think that the "current" repo is (one of) the main feature of Arch and it is great and quite stable. So I agree that it doesn't have much sense to have a stable repo in Arch.

- [read this wink] a nice thing would be to have a webtool linked to the repository with user feedback on some software.. for example.. when a new version of kde is released (in current) the more brave users try it and then they give their "stability vote".. Similar to what happens now to the forum but more quick to find for a user and then you can also have a link to the forum thread and a warning like "read the wiki before you update"..

- have a repository with old version of software.. for example.. php4 wink but this is hard due to deps with other packages so maybe Arch isn't the right distro for who want to have php4 :-P

bye,
Giovanni.

Linux registered user #72162

#27 2005-04-04 15:03:14

uselpa
Website

Yes, I think that Arch is indeed not the right distro for me. In the last newsletter, it was again stated that a stable repro is not likely to happen in the near future.

No, it's not going to be Debian, nor (K)Ubuntu, but I see that Slackware is nowhere near to be replaced on my machines. It remains the best solution for my needs at this point in time. Let's hope that Pat is able to keep up his work as he has done in the past.

I'll keep watching Arch, though, just in case you implement a stable repo after all ;-) It's a fine distro for those who want to be on the bleeding edge. I myself have come to Linux because I found the instability of Windows inacceptable; that's why I insist on having a really stable distro with security updates only.

Have fun!

#28 2005-04-04 15:11:01

jerem

A "stable" repository means more work for the Arch maintainers because they have to deal with several versions of the same program.

Arch's current branch is bleeding-edge, but it is very stable too.
We already have "unstable" and "testing". 4 different repositories is too much.

Perhaps a "release" version would be more useful. It would be useful for people who can pacman -Syu because they have a modem connection and thus would like Arch to release "package cds"(at least cds providing for ex. Kde, Xfce, gnome, etc...).

Or Arch could try to provide a tool like Gentoo's catalyst to easily build yourself package-cds. Gensync isn't that simple and easy or fast to use...

Arch has been very good at providing the best features from other distributions and releasing them with the "Arch touch adn spirit". Why not continue ? GPL power...

#29 2005-04-04 17:21:02

pixel

uselpa, I'm with you on that, but i think I will be using Arch [release] repo on a few of my machines. Been using it for a moment and it's definetly stable wink

Favorite systems: ArchLinux, OpenBSD
"Yes, I love UNIX"

Board footer