You are not logged in.

#26 2011-03-07 02:31:36

minasmorath
Website

Re: [ABANDONED][Project] Wakka: A Gtk-Based Package Management Tool

Attention Archers: Wakka v0.3.1 is officially released!

Changes include a complete rework of the repository display model, as well as package size display in the (now open by default) installation terminal. I'm still working on shoehorning the package size column into the pre-install dialog, but it's coming (there's no easy way to do it with the current way it's written). I also included a menu entry for the Gnome desktop environment.

Any questions, comments, or criticisms are welcome, and if you find a bug, please, please report it on the google code project page.

Happy travels!

Mitch

#27 2011-03-07 03:12:35

jeff story
Website

Cool,

This has been a topic of interest of mine for a while...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107088&p=2

Hope you don't mind that I added info to the Arch Wiki.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … E.2FGTK.2B

Please edit it as you see fit.

Last edited by jeff story (2011-03-07 03:21:48)

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#28 2011-03-07 07:18:55

minasmorath
Website

Not a problem mate, I'm glad you like it that much.

I checked out the blog post, and it should be noted that with the newest version 'sudo wakka' will suffice for launching the program from a terminal, there is now a menu entry as well (for Gnome), and the output terminal is open by default.

I'm working on fixing a few minor issues I've found since I posted the newest version, such as the package list not refreshing after installing (It's just the icons, but it bothers me), as well as the size display (seemed easy, but it requires a pretty big rewrite).

Any other feature requests while I'm at it? I'm basically to the point where I have to rewrite the backend, so I'd like to know what you guys want out of it.

Thanks again,

Mitch

#29 2011-03-08 04:02:39

minasmorath
Website

Attention ladies and gentlemen!

Yet another build of Wakka is available for download, both on the google code page and from the aur, and this time, it has proper package size display!

Some of the changes:
-Fixed package searching errors
-Added package size display
-Added a remove db.lck option (with a big warning)
-Fixed some erroneous file location errors (the about dialog works now! lol)

As always, if you find any issues, please oh please report them, and until then, happy travels!

Mitch

#30 2011-03-08 11:55:06

pablokal
Website

Great, thanks and keep up the good work!!

Got this error trying to install arch-wiki-docs
after checking for install and pushing the apply  button:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/wakka/wakkacore/gui.py", line 511, in execute
while dep_todo_list:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'dep_todo_list' referenced before assignment

GNu/Linux: Nu nog schoner: http://linuxnogschoner.blogspot.com/

#31 2011-03-08 15:23:13

tenlegger

minasmorath wrote:

I checked out the blog post, and it should be noted that with the newest version 'sudo wakka' will suffice for launching the program from a terminal, there is now a menu entry as well (for Gnome), and the output terminal is open by default.

Might I point out that it needs to be started with "kdesu wakka" from KDE 4.6.1 ("sudo wakka" doesn't work).

.\\artin

Arch Linux x86_64 | KDE SC 4.7.2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU | 4Gb RAM
nVidia 8500GT GPU

#32 2011-03-08 16:09:52

tarakbumba

I have a proposal. You can use xdg-su utility to start Wakka as root. I' ll upload an aur package for xdg-su tonight. It can use kdesu,gksu,terminal prompt and sudo according to running DE. Just replace "Exec=gksu wakka" with Exec=xdg-su -c "/usr/bin/wakka" in wakka.desktop file. So kde users or other DE, WM users still able to run wakka as root from menu.

Say what you mean, mean what you say

#33 2011-03-08 16:35:44

Awebb

I just had a look at Wakka and came up with the following:

- "Clean Cache" and "Empty Cache" do not have some sort of warning dialog. This killed my cache while trying to copy something from the description using Ctrl+C. This hotkey is a very unfortunate choice for something that critical.
- The Summary/Files area can't be resized, leaving the package list too small to make it superior to the terminal.
- Wakka does not know which packages I ignore in the pacman.conf. It tries to update them all the time. Not really an issue, but a step away from perfection :-)
- There seems to be a problem with the lock file. I'll have a closer look at this and return with a more detailed description.

#34 2011-03-08 19:11:27

minasmorath
Website

Got this error trying to install arch-wiki-docs
after checking for install and pushing the apply  button:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/wakka/wakkacore/gui.py", line 511, in execute
while dep_todo_list:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'dep_todo_list' referenced before assignment

I reproduced this and am working on fixing it, there's a simple hack in svn for now but the problem runs a bit deeper. I'll be working on it.
# Edit: Done. Turns out it was the way dependencies were being handled at install time. Who woulda thunk it.

Might I point out that it needs to be started with "kdesu wakka" from KDE 4.6.1 ("sudo wakka" doesn't work).

I didn't think that some people may not have sudo set up hmm
Me and my assumptions. Pfft.

# Edit: I'm thinking about making gksu a dependency, though if xdg-su shows up in the AUR in the next couple days I'll definitely go with it.

I have a proposal. You can use xdg-su utility to start Wakka as root. I' ll upload an aur package for xdg-su tonight. It can use kdesu,gksu,terminal prompt and sudo according to running DE. Just replace "Exec=gksu wakka" with Exec=xdg-su -c "/usr/bin/wakka" in wakka.desktop file. So kde users or other DE, WM users still able to run wakka as root from menu.

And this seems like the perfect way to change that assumption. I'll look into xdg-su while I'm working on the next set of bugfixes.
# Edit: See above edit concerning gksu and xdg-su.

- "Clean Cache" and "Empty Cache" do not have some sort of warning dialog. This killed my cache while trying to copy something from the description using Ctrl+C. This hotkey is a very unfortunate choice for something that critical.

AH! That is really bad! I'm using a slightly modified version of the GtkPacman glade file, so it's probably left over from the old days, but I don't see why that shortcut was ever set anyway, it should just be copy. I took a peek at some of the other accelerators that are set, and suffice to say I'll be turning off most of them, they're silly and will probably never be used. Wish I would have seen that sooner.

# Edit: Removed the silly legacy auto-accelerators (I dunno what else to call them). The only two now are ctrl-q to quit, and ctrl-f to search.

- The Summary/Files area can't be resized, leaving the package list too small to make it superior to the terminal.

Hrm. I didn't notice that. That's simple enough to change though, I'm on it.

# Edit: I can't reproduce that here, everything is resizable for me. Does anyone else have this issue?

- Wakka does not know which packages I ignore in the pacman.conf. It tries to update them all the time. Not really an issue, but a step away from perfection :-)

It should though, unless the config file has changed since the original days of GtkPacman. If you wouldn't mind Awebb, could you post your pacman.conf file (pastebin is probably the best option), I'd like to test against it to see if I can reproduce this.

# Edit: I'm still looking into this.

- There seems to be a problem with the lock file. I'll have a closer look at this and return with a more detailed description.

The problem lies in the VTE terminal. If a command doesn't complete (the terminal is closed before pacman is completely done), it just forces all subprocesses to terminate immediately, leaving pacman no time to clear out it's lock file. I'm working on a cleaner solution that just a menu option to delete the lock (that option is just irresponsible), but It's a problem with VTE more than anything. I just have to work around it.

# Edit: Still the same issue, VTE is weird about it's subprocesses being terminated.

Alright, I have plenty to work on today, I'll update again when I have some results. Thanks for the help Archers!

Mitch

Last edited by minasmorath (2011-03-08 19:56:16)

#35 2011-03-08 20:19:27

tarakbumba

xdg-su has been added to Aur.

#36 2011-03-08 20:24:15

minasmorath
Website

Ok, so some quick updates (Didn't take very long, eh?):

# Edit: Well that was fast. xdg-su now has a pkgbuild, so I'll be updating the pkgbuild and relevant files. Thanks a million @tarakbumba.

I took out all of the useless keyboard accelerators, and I'm working on adding some confirm dialogs for cleaning/erasing the cache for 0.4.

0.4 will also have a rewrite of the config file parser, the current implementation is rather... meh. Should fix the ignorpkg problem @Awebb.

Thanks for the reports guys, I can't test all scenarios by myself so I'm really leaning on the community to help. Until next time, happy travels!

Mitch

Last edited by minasmorath (2011-03-08 20:28:19)

#37 2011-03-08 20:33:37

minasmorath
Website

tarakbumba wrote:

xdg-su has been added to Aur.

The current pkgbuild for xdg-su does not build properly. I modified it as such to get it working:

# Maintainer: Atilla ÖNTAŞ <tarakbumba@gmail.com>

pkgname=xdg-su
pkgver=1.1beta1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Run a program as root with a graphical interface"
arch=('any')
url="http://cli-apps.org/content/show.php/xdg-su?content=129254"
license=('mit')
makedepends=('links' 'xmlto')
source=( "http://cli-apps.org/CONTENT/content-files/129254-xdg-su-1.1beta1.tar.bz2" )
md5sums=('34289eca4003cde772505a4ea2cf778d')

build() {
    cd "${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}"
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
}

package() {
    make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
}

Please update the script, I would really like to use xdg-su to avoid platform-specificness. Thanks for the help.

Mitch

Last edited by minasmorath (2011-03-08 21:01:21)

#38 2011-03-09 11:16:35

pablokal
Website

There is a lot of work coming to you, minas; my compliments how open and fast you are responding to all these issues; this seems another wonderful example of users and developer are working hand in hand to get to a better application. Thanks again.

GNu/Linux: Nu nog schoner: http://linuxnogschoner.blogspot.com/

#39 2011-03-09 12:07:33

tarakbumba

Sorry for PKGBUILD. It was a rush. I' ll update it tonight. Thank you minasmorath for noticing me and Wakka. Hope xdg-su solves problems for Wakka.

EDIT: xdg-su package has been updated as minasmorath suggested.

Last edited by tarakbumba (2011-03-09 20:19:22)

#40 2011-03-09 19:48:52

minasmorath
Website

You know what they say: A build a day keeps the doctor away. Well, if that really is the case then I'm as healthy as a horse because yet another build of Wakka is getting pushed out the door!

Wakka 0.3.5 is a bugfix release with the following updates:
- Building and installing local packages is fixed (finally! xz support!)
- New warning dialogs before clean/empty cache (This action can't be undone, etc)
- Better pacman.conf parsing (hopefully fixes IgnorePkg/HoldPkg errors)
- Packages are now sorted under 'everything' and 'foreigners' repos
- More code consistency (Not that anyone else will see it, but hey, I'm happy)

The only step left for 0.4 is xdg-su integration, thanks @tarakbumba!

1.0 is hopefully not too far off now, so what kind of features do you guys want to see in Wakka for the 1.0 stable release? Post your opinions, I'm up for almost anything!

Until next time, happy travels!

Mitch

#41 2011-03-09 20:25:22

tarakbumba

minasmorath wrote:

You know what they say: A build a day keeps the doctor away. Well, if that really is the case then I'm as healthy as a horse because yet another build of Wakka is getting pushed out the door!

Wakka 0.3.5 is a bugfix release with the following updates:
- Building and installing local packages is fixed (finally! xz support!)
- New warning dialogs before clean/empty cache (This action can't be undone, etc)
- Better pacman.conf parsing (hopefully fixes IgnorePkg/HoldPkg errors)
- Packages are now sorted under 'everything' and 'foreigners' repos
- More code consistency (Not that anyone else will see it, but hey, I'm happy)

The only step left for 0.4 is xdg-su integration, thanks @tarakbumba!

1.0 is hopefully not too far off now, so what kind of features do you guys want to see in Wakka for the 1.0 stable release? Post your opinions, I'm up for almost anything!

Until next time, happy travels!

Mitch

xdg-su is ready now for use. I still propose an Aur support implementation to Wakka for 1.0 release. Keep up good work Mitch!

#42 2011-03-09 20:39:58

minasmorath
Website

#Edit: Nevermind, I got it up right away. I figured I couldn't make everyone wait that long tongue (looks like I have around 40 dedicate users now, if download counts are to be trusted! Yay!)

And yes, AUR support is most definitely on the way. I need a super-duper feature that sets Wakka apart from other everything-but-the-kitchen-sink programs like AppSet and PackageKit, besides the simplicity. I'm thinking about using packer, or even coding all the support by hand, but I'm open to suggestions (since both of those options kinda... suck).

Thanks again mate!

Mitch

Last edited by minasmorath (2011-03-09 20:52:06)

#43 2011-03-09 21:57:59

tarakbumba

I think you can use clyde, packer, paktahn, powerpill etc. for backend. Or use aurget etc. for only aur support. Writing a new aur search, download, install code will only make things complicated for you. Just use a backend like using pacman. My 2 cents...

Last edited by tarakbumba (2011-03-09 22:00:09)

#44 2011-03-10 16:28:40

EnvoyRising

What about a configuration option that allows the user to specify the AUR command they want to use?

The default could be a hand written implementation (good for people that either don't know the appropriate commands or don't want to add dependencies). At work so I can't offer any patches as such, but IIRC the AUR json is pretty straight forward.

#45 2011-03-10 18:59:15

minasmorath
Website

I've been looking into forking one of the python aur wrappers and making it modular, but I like the idea of having a config on top of/beside it, since its something I've been looking into doing for the program anyway. I'll see about posting/coding some mockups in the next couple days.

Also I'm looking into switching the gui toolkit from gtk (whose python 3 wrapper is sketchy at best) to something more pythonic like wxwidgets. Thoughts? It wouldn't be that much work honestly, the apis are pretty similar when it comes to the complex stuff like treeviews, and I've worked with wxglade before, which is great since it outputs code instead of xml (dunno if its python 3 compatible though).

To summarize my next possible steps:
- forking a python aur wrapper?
- command config/ general config dialogs?
- Python 3 and wxwidgets... maybe?

Any thoughts?

Mitch

#46 2011-03-10 22:03:57

EnvoyRising

To summarize my next possible steps:

minasmorath wrote:

- forking a python aur wrapper?

The ones I know of:
* Slurpy
* aurora

minasmorath wrote:

- Python 3 and wxwidgets... maybe?

Python 3:
As of this writing, only 36 packages require python 3 (python), so it is very likely that users don't have it installed on their system, or don't feel like installing it, simply to use your tool (myself included). Python 2 (python2) on the other hand, is required by 334 packages. I'd recommend staying with python2 for now. You could, of course make two versions.

As for alternate toolkit, while I'm fond of pyqt/pyside myself, your bloat argument certainly stands up to reason. (wxpython + wxgtk is still smaller than qt by itself).

One idea might be decoupling it from a gui all together, and building a 'core'. A benefit of that strategy is that if ever you decided to change gui's again, it'd be easy to change to (compared to what you may potentially be doing now). Just an idea, and perhaps not the best one, but a thought none-the-less.

edit: fixed formatting, added link to aurora that I helped contribute to.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2011-03-10 22:07:37)

#47 2011-03-11 04:44:39

minasmorath
Website

EnvoyRising wrote:

The ones I know of:
* Slurpy
* aurora

Hrm. Looking into both of these. Looks like aurora is stagnating but I could be wrong.

EnvoyRising wrote:

As of this writing, only 36 packages require python 3 (python), so it is very likely that users don't have it installed on their system...

Yeah, I suppose having Python 3 sitting around only for Wakka isn't what most users would want. Providing a 'testing' port along with 'stable' is probably the best option. wakka-dev anyone?

EnvoyRising wrote:

As for alternate toolkit, while I'm fond of pyqt/pyside myself, your bloat argument certainly stands up to reason. (wxpython + wxgtk is still smaller than qt by itself).

You see, it's a battle within me, because I adore the Qt Api, it's so pretty and clean compared to the hackpile that is Gtk. But the installed size and the runtime bloat, not to mention that I absolutely despise the look of Qt/Kde apps (They look like kids toys to me, where Gtk looks like a business environment imho)... Even ignoring personal preference I just can't justify using it in the long run. Speed is too paramount for me.

EnvoyRising wrote:

One idea might be decoupling it from a gui all together, and building a 'core'. A benefit of that strategy is that if ever you decided to change gui's again, it'd be easy to change to (compared to what you may potentially be doing now). Just an idea, and perhaps not the best one, but a thought none-the-less.

... Why didn't I think of that? I have the module 'wakkacore' but it's by no means seperated from the Gui. I think this will be my next step before I swap Gui toolkits (which I'm pretty set on doing, mainly for when the switch to Python 3 finally kicks in). It'll save me lots of work in the end.

Thanks for the suggestions mate. I'll be working on it.

Mitch

#48 2011-03-11 05:10:57

EnvoyRising

Aurora is, effectively, dead. I just mentioned it for completeness sake.

FYI, Qt != KDE. You can make a Qt app use yoru GTK themes. At any rate, for your purpose, I'd say Wx widgets is going to be your best bet. Not a lot of packages require it (30 compared to 120), but it suits your size requirement and is modern enough to remain relevant.

Pretty swamped helping out with Post-Apacolyptic RPG, but I may send in a patch here and there.

edit: Updated PKGBUILD

# Maintainer: Mitchell Nemitz <mitchell.nemitz@gmail.com>

pkgname=wakka
pkgver=0.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Package manager for archlinux based on GtkPacman"
arch=('any')
url="http://code.google.com/p/wakka-package-manager/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('python2' 'pygtk' 'vte' 'xdg-su' 'librsvg')
source=("http://wakka-package-manager.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.bz2")
sha1sums=('f4dbf30fa8cb33d255139620053a0e997cf508af')

build () {
    # Nothing to do here
}

package() {

# Make the directories
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"

# Copy the core data files
    cp --parents -R "wakkacore/" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp --parents -R "data/"      "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"

# Copy license and readme information
    cp "COPYING" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "LICENSE" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "README"  "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"

# Copy the executables
    cp "wakka-package-manager" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "wakka"                 "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"

chmod +x "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/wakka"

# Add the menu entry
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/"
    cp "data/wakka.desktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/"
}

Without librsvg, pygtk fails to load icons.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2011-03-11 05:18:19)

#49 2011-03-11 06:35:17

minasmorath
Website

EnvoyRising wrote:

FYI, Qt != KDE. You can make a Qt app use your GTK themes.

Yeah, but it's the largest project utilizing the toolkit, it's what people think of when they think Qt (or so that's the impression I get). Still, I probably shouldn't perpetuate the idea that they're one and the same.

EnvoyRising wrote:

Pretty swamped helping out with Post-Apacolyptic RPG, but I may send in a patch here and there.

Awesome. Any help is much appreciated. And speaking of which:

EnvoyRising wrote:
# Maintainer: Mitchell Nemitz <mitchell.nemitz@gmail.com>

pkgname=wakka
pkgver=0.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Package manager for archlinux based on GtkPacman"
arch=('any')
url="http://code.google.com/p/wakka-package-manager/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('python2' 'pygtk' 'vte' 'xdg-su' 'librsvg')
source=("http://wakka-package-manager.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.bz2")
sha1sums=('f4dbf30fa8cb33d255139620053a0e997cf508af')

build () {
    # Nothing to do here
}

package() {

# Make the directories
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"

# Copy the core data files
    cp --parents -R "wakkacore/" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp --parents -R "data/"      "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"

# Copy license and readme information
    cp "COPYING" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "LICENSE" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "README"  "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"

# Copy the executables
    cp "wakka-package-manager" "${pkgdir}/usr/lib/wakka/"
    cp "wakka"                 "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/"

chmod +x "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/wakka"

# Add the menu entry
    mkdir --parents "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/"
    cp "data/wakka.desktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/share/applications/"
}

Thank you, I would have never found that on my own.

Mitch

#50 2011-03-11 08:38:49

Awebb

Good work Mitch :-)

minasmorath wrote:

# Edit: I can't reproduce that here, everything is resizable for me. Does anyone else have this issue?

After a reboot (new kernel update) everything resizes fine now. Logging out and in again was not enough. Ad acta ;-)

minasmorath wrote:

... I'd like to test against it to see if I can reproduce this.

Here you go.

http://pastebin.com/WsmBFnXD

Board footer