You are not logged in.

#26 2011-03-04 16:22:23

cbrunos

Re: New opensource R IDE - package it before everyone else

Go ahead, I'm dying to use this on my main computer!

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

#27 2011-03-04 17:33:04

Ben9250
Website

It is now up, it does take a little while. Good luck with using it, I like it, despite it's growing pains. Really looking forward to what it can do on my next field trip.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#28 2011-03-04 17:40:43

cbrunos

I can't get it to compile; after it downloads qt-sdk it tells me I am not a sudoer…which I am of course.

EDIT: Downloaded and installed qt-sdk manually. Seems to work for now, installer is downloading gwt.

EDIT: Got another error during the compilation of gwt, it couldn't locate java. Uninstalled jre, installed openjdk6 and am trying again.

Last edited by cbrunos (2011-03-04 18:07:00)

#29 2011-03-04 18:34:06

Ben9250
Website

Hmm, most odd, it never complained to me once about sudo issues, if it won't stop with that, maybe sudo yaourt would work? I've tested twice both ways with yaourt and manually downloading the PKGBUILD and issueing makepkg and it's not confronted me about sudo. If the problem persists, and you're downloading the PKGBUILD and issueing makepkg yourself I might suggest adding sudo before the commands that are wanting it, or editing the PKGBUILD to do the same when you use yaourt. If that work's I'll add it to the PKGBUILD. And indeed I remember some issues with dependencies of gwt and java, and I believe it was for the same reason. If it works after that then I could put openjdk6 in as a dependency.

[EDIT]
If this sudo problem after the sdk-dependency persists, could you post up what goes on and the output you get of the process in the terminal. Myself and others will have a much better idea of what to look at.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-04 18:42:54)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#30 2011-03-04 18:41:47

cbrunos

Ok now I get this:

CMake Error at src/cpp/desktop/cmake_install.cmake:64 (FILE):
  file INSTALL cannot find "/lib/libQtCore.so.4".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/cpp/cmake_install.cmake:39 (INCLUDE)
  src/cmake_install.cmake:38 (INCLUDE)
  cmake_install.cmake:56 (INCLUDE)

make: *** [install] Error 1
    Aborting...
The build failed.

#31 2011-03-04 18:51:25

Ben9250
Website

It suggests to me something might have gone wrong with installing the qt-sdk dependency. Although I probably need a second opinion on this, it was mentioned, at some point, that if the dependency scripts weren't cd'd to, or in the working directory, they may not work. Sooo..... If you change this part of the PKGBUILD:

# install qt sdk
  msg "Downloading and installing Qt SDK"
  ${srcdir}/${_altname}/dependencies/linux/install-qt-sdk

to

# install qt sdk
  msg "Downloading and installing Qt SDK"
  cd "${srcdir}/${_altname}/dependencies/linux"
  ./install-qt-sdk

Does that help matters? If this is the issue, then I would not have noticed in testing the PKGBUILD, as I already had qt-sdk, from fiddling trying to get it to compile from source on my machine in the first place.
Also have a look in the /opt directory, for any qt-sdk stuff (qtsdk-2010.05 to be preciese on my machine), in particular it contains, on my system, a lib directory, which contains the file your error message is complaining about. I believe this to be part of the problem, but somehow I skipped over it without realising I did so, because I did get the same error at one point - it's on this thread infact.

But hopefully someone else will be able to give their opinion, incase it's different to mine.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-04 19:06:58)

- H. G. Wells

#32 2011-03-04 19:35:46

cbrunos

So, I uninstalled qt-sdk, and changed the PKGBUILD like you said, but now I am stuck again with:

Saving to: “qt-sdk-linux-x86_64-opensource-2010.05.1.bin”

100%[=============================================================>] 556,504,804  335K/s   in 26m 46s 

2011-03-04 20:37:56 (338 KB/s) - “qt-sdk-linux-x86_64-opensource-2010.05.1.bin” saved [556504804/556504804]

cbrunos is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
cbrunos is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.
    Aborting...
The build failed.

#33 2011-03-04 21:11:59

jt512

*disregard*

Last edited by jt512 (2011-03-04 21:19:44)

#34 2011-03-04 21:15:37

jt512

*disregard*

Last edited by jt512 (2011-03-04 21:20:01)

#35 2011-03-04 22:15:32

Ben9250
Website

Ok I'm going to uninstall qt-sdk and start as you have, and see what happens then.

[EDIT] I've tried again and it still seems to be working with me, even when I stripped everything off and started again. Perhaps you might want to try the other git based PKGBUILD on this thread? Although the parts where the package is made are the same really. I'll have to be open and say I'm not sure on what your issue is. I have to openly say to people, do try the PKGBUILD in the aur, and if everyone gets the same issue then clearly something needs changing, somebody brighter than me might even find some hole. I might be something wrong with sudo, how are you a sudoer? Did you do as the installation guide said and put yourself in group wheel and allow that group sudo access? I can only think of doing sudo before you issue the build command, or doing it as su, although I would advise caution against building packages as su, I don't want you to mess up your system. Although I stress again the PKGBUILD put up there is the same as the one on this thread that has worked for me and I think two others. I got word back from the development team at r-studio, they are sympathetic to this complicated source install procedure and the methods of obtaining it through GIT, and it is on their todo list to make installing from source smoother and easier, and less error prone. Most likely this will happen when other criticisms, bugs and suggestions have been implemented (just look at the amount of discussions opened on their support page! Across all platforms), as it's clear the reason they're using github is they're still in the thick of working on the source, and so haven't got a truly stable source tarball yet, and have the Ubuntu and Fedora, Mac and Windows installers out so they can get the first working versions out to the majority of users, which will highlight problems that need attention.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-06 00:53:53)

- H. G. Wells

#36 2011-03-05 10:23:26

cbrunos

Ok so I uncommented the wheel line in the sudoers file but when I try again:

Saving to: “rstudio.tar.gz.part”

100%[============================================================>] 22,505,338   565K/s   in 38s     

2011-03-05 11:26:12 (579 KB/s) - “rstudio.tar.gz.part” saved [22505338/22505338]

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    rstudio.tar.gz ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build rstudio-desktop.

#37 2011-03-05 18:18:49

Ben9250
Website

I'll check the MD5 sums are matching, they may have changed since the last update

[EDIT] I am working on this but to issue makepkg -g to get the md5 sums of the updated source, it's downloading it again, and it's peak time here so downloads are at a snails pace.

[EDIT] Ok md5sums have been updated in the PKGBUILD and put on the AUR

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-05 19:32:03)

- H. G. Wells

#38 2011-03-05 21:42:14

cbrunos

Bingo, it works!

You rock! Thank you for your help!

#39 2011-03-05 22:54:01

Ben9250
Website

Excellent! I'm glad it works for you in the end and I was able to help. From now on updating it or re-installation should be a lot easier, as the silly system of scripts checking for dependencies will just find them and skip that bit of the process. A better tarball that makes the process smoother has been promised by the developers. And if one doesn't appear, I'll raise the issue again.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-05 22:56:25)

- H. G. Wells

#40 2011-03-05 23:00:44

Pank

Have anybody succeed in creating a bin package? I don't feel like a long compile time.
My own attempts result in:

./bin/rsession: error while loading shared libraries: libR.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Which probably suggests that it is not possible to use the provided bin-package.

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#41 2011-03-06 00:50:57

Ben9250
Website

You'll have to forgive me I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'm assuming it's different to a normal package.

- H. G. Wells

#42 2011-03-06 09:06:36

Pank

A repackage of one of the official binary packages from rstuido. I.e. the deb-package or the rpm-package. But I quite sure it does not work.

#43 2011-03-06 13:59:07

Ben9250
Website

Pank wrote:

A repackage of one of the official binary packages from rstuido. I.e. the deb-package or the rpm-package. But I quite sure it does not work.

That's Interesting, and never thought of that as possible, is there some documentation I could read on how this is done? I haven't come across this before.

- H. G. Wells

#44 2011-03-06 15:27:34

Pank

Well, here is an example of a bin package http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=38753.

I made a PKGBUILD, but I think libraries are places elsewhere in Arch than competing distribution, so the package is not able to locate the needed libraries. Maybe, this could be solved with some symlink magic, I don't know, and it could easily become ugly. . .

I would be interested in a compiled package, though, as I would like to try out Rstudio. Mostly to be able to recommend it to others.

## NOTE: PROBABLY NOT WORKING!
pkgname=rstudio-desktop-bin
_pkgname=rstudio
pkgver=0.92.44
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A new integrated development environment (IDE) for R (bin version)"
url="http://www.rstudio.org"
arch=('x86_64')
_arch=amd64
license=('AGPL')
depends=('qt' 'r' 'pango' 'openssl' 'bzip2' 'pam' 'java-runtime' 'unzip' 'glib2' 'libsm' 'libxrender' 'fontconfig' 'libxext')
makedepends=('rpmextract')
provides=('rstudio-desktop')
conflicts=('rstudio-desktop')

source=(https://s3.amazonaws.com/rstudio-desktop/${_pkgname}-${pkgver}-${_arch}.deb)
md5sums=('20c1447ca4f8451f7322f39aa20a745a')

build() {
    deb2targz ${_pkgname}-${pkgver}-${_arch}.deb
    tar -xf ${_pkgname}-${pkgver}-${_arch}.tar.gz
}

package() {
    mv usr ${pkgdir}
    mkdir "${pkgdir}/usr/bin"
    ln -s -t "${pkgdir}/lib/${_pkgname}/bin/rdesktop" "${pkgdir}/usr/bin/${pkgname}"
}

#45 2011-03-06 16:57:48

Ben9250
Website

Ah yes I see what you're trying to do. I suppose what one might have to do is look at debain or ubuntu, on a VM or something, or another partition is someone has it, and see how and what libraries are used on that system and try and relate that to Arch. If acceptable, I could upload a compiled package to my public space on Dropbox like I do the git and post the public link so it can be downloaded, although I'll make a note here and mention the possible dependency not listed in the PKGBUILD of openjdk6, I'm not sure if it's just needed to compile, or actually run, and I'm waiting for issues involving missing openjdk6 to rear their heads, at which point it will be put in the dependencies array, but I don't want the PKGBUILD installing unwanted stuff onto peoples machines. I was thinking about making my own compiled package repo for stuff like this, however my machine isn't on all the time - building a server from an old computer is an educational project I have lined up for the summer though.

- H. G. Wells

#46 2011-03-07 04:06:29

Ben9250
Website

I've now got a package file on my Dropbox public area and people can use the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3277580/rstudio … pkg.tar.xz to download it.
I had a go at makeing a bin pkgbuild too, but every-time I thought I was close something would happen preventing make of the thing.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-03-07 18:34:00)

- H. G. Wells

#47 2011-03-08 18:22:24

jowilkin

Looking at the dependencies, I suspect that unzip is only a makedepends as it is used in the dependencies/common/install-dependencies-java script that is run during build.

#48 2011-03-08 20:52:06

Ben9250
Website

jowilkin wrote:

Looking at the dependencies, I suspect that unzip is only a makedepends as it is used in the dependencies/common/install-dependencies-java script that is run during build.

Thanks, I've altered the PKGBUILD and it'll go up in a day or two after I update the git.

- H. G. Wells

#49 2011-03-09 05:06:49

jowilkin

The recent update of boost to 1.46 broke the build of this package for me, here's the error: http://pastebin.com/aBjj9cDc.  Apparently RStudio is going to need to make some code changes to be compatible with boost 1.46.

I reverted to boost 1.45 and was able to build the package again.

Edit: Started a thread on the upstream forum to see what the deal is with the new boost.

Last edited by jowilkin (2011-03-09 05:12:00)

#50 2011-03-09 05:17:11

Ben9250
Website

jowilkin wrote:

The recent update of boost to 1.46 broke the build of this package for me, here's the error: http://pastebin.com/aBjj9cDc.  Apparently RStudio is going to need to make some code changes to be compatible with boost 1.46.

I reverted to boost 1.45 and was able to build the package again.

Edit: Started a thread on the upstream forum to see what the deal is with the new boost.

Hi, I've raised it on the support section of R-Studio's site, so it should get looked at, hopefully quickly if it's a big compatibility issue and more people experience it. I've also put notification on the AUR.

- H. G. Wells

Board footer