You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-03 17:26:10

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Can't install Xorg with pacman

karol wrote:

Another user on the Polish forum said he couldn't start X until he installed xterm - is it a bug or this is the intended behavior?
I don't have xterm installed and everything's working fine.

Probably because the default system xinitrc starts twm with a few xterm instances. Intended behavior, in a manner of speaking.

#27 2011-04-05 06:40:44

SN4K3

I think the default X (Without any WM Desktop environment) uses xterm by default so....

#28 2011-04-05 09:15:56

karol
Archivist

falconindy wrote:
karol wrote:

Another user on the Polish forum said he couldn't start X until he installed xterm - is it a bug or this is the intended behavior?
I don't have xterm installed and everything's working fine.

Probably because the default system xinitrc starts twm with a few xterm instances. Intended behavior, in a manner of speaking.

That's what I thought, but if I don't have xterm installed, X will start anyway, only w/o xterm - this works with both twm and dwm.

#29 2011-05-12 11:46:15

rhomp2002

I got to the point where it said to try to run X.  I was supposed to install xorg-twm, xorg-xclock and xterm.  Pacman could not find xorg-xclock.  I was able to install xorg-twm and xterm.  Then when I tried to do startx or the xinit instruction I got an error message.  I also got a message when I tried to pull the x86 video cards that there was an error in the list of the drivers for the video cards at line 242.  I was able to install the base and base-devel system, install the grub entry and add a new user and login as root.  Everything was going just fine until I got to the place where I tried to set up X11 and then it all fell apart and I got an error message.  I finally installed the driver for Nvidia of nv.  I kept getting a message that it could not find vesa or one other entry and X11 failed.  I used the evdev for the input drivers and got the message that that was installed.  I also updated with pacman and that had no problems at all either.

I am using the archlinux 2010.05 Multi Arch CD.   I am wondering if I should have done the X updates before I updated with pacman that maybe it would have found the missing modules, that maybe the latest updates messed up the Xorg modules.  I seems strange that both mirrors I tried had an error at the same place in the same module when I was looking for the video card drivers.   I used the mirrors at U of Vt and Georgia Tech, both http and ftp.

Last edited by rhomp2002 (2011-05-12 12:00:33)

#30 2011-05-13 08:51:00

rhomp2002

I did a net install using the biblio mirror and this time I was able to install and run the twm test.  This mirror had the xorg-xclock module that was missing from the earlier mirrors I tried earlier today.   Still a slight problem with X but that is something I can deal with later.  As of now I have an up to date pacman and can now work my way through setting up a WM and browser and then work from there. 

Be interesting to see if the mirror at biblio is ahead or behind the mirrors from U of Vt  and Georgia Tech, the mirrors that did not have the modules I needed.

Last edited by rhomp2002 (2011-05-13 08:51:46)

Board footer