You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-04 17:39:29

bgc1954

Re: Floppy drive mounting *SOLVED*

I was having a similair problem.  I still use floppies to save my gnucash files--old school I guess.  I've been searching for an answer for sometime now and just stumbled on an old post at linuxquestions.  I have a little script to erase my floppy and copy the new gnucash files but I'd always get comments that files didn't exit and that according to mtab /mnt/floppy wasn't mounted.  Now I've changed my script so that my floppy is mounted using:

udisks --mount /dev/fd0
udisks --unmount /dev/fd0

I don't get any error messages now on the terminal and my files are being copied correctly.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by bgc1954 (2011-04-04 17:42:37)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#27 2011-04-04 18:35:21

schmidtbag

bgc1954 wrote:

I was having a similair problem.  I still use floppies to save my gnucash files--old school I guess.  I've been searching for an answer for sometime now and just stumbled on an old post at linuxquestions.  I have a little script to erase my floppy and copy the new gnucash files but I'd always get comments that files didn't exit and that according to mtab /mnt/floppy wasn't mounted.  Now I've changed my script so that my floppy is mounted using:

udisks --mount /dev/fd0
udisks --unmount /dev/fd0

I don't get any error messages now on the terminal and my files are being copied correctly.

Edit: spelling

well, this does let me mount and unmount the drive as a regular user, but it doesn't let me write to the disk.

#28 2011-04-05 16:41:26

bgc1954

That is strange.  I can write to the floppy fine after I mount it with the udisks command.  This is my /etc/fstab line just for reference.

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users 0 0

I don't know what other differences there may be between our setups that would make a difference.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#29 2011-04-05 16:46:19

ewaller
Administrator

bgc1954 wrote:

...don't know what other differences there may be between our setups that would make a difference.

What file system are you using on your floppies?  The OP is using VFAT

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#30 2011-04-05 16:56:57

schmidtbag

oooh, i didn't realize i was supposed to keep the fstab entry when using the "udisks" command.  now i can mount, read, and write as a normal user!  finally!

so...

i remember dolphin being able to load the floppy disk just by simply clicking on the icon in the "places" toolbar.  the icon could mount and unmount the disk, but it isn't there.  does anyone know how i can get this?  i temporarily added my own shortcut that just simply goes to "/mnt/floppy" but it doesn't let me mount or unmount the disk.

#31 2011-04-05 17:08:57

ewaller
Administrator

When you get a chance, don't forget to add [SOLVED] to this thread's title (Edit the first post).

You should spawn a new thread for the new question, but lets see if this quickly resolved.

Your new problem is different than other automount questions because floppies (generally) don't generate any kernel activity when they are physically mounted -- it usually takes a command to make the system look.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#32 2011-04-05 17:15:23

schmidtbag

ewaller wrote:

When you get a chance, don't forget to add [SOLVED] to this thread's title (Edit the first post).

You should spawn a new thread for the new question, but lets see if this quickly resolved.

Your new problem is different than other automount questions because floppies (generally) don't generate any kernel activity when they are physically mounted -- it usually takes a command to make the system look.

i understand that, but why when i was using my debian setup  it automatically showed a floppy mount/unmount in dolphin.  this isn't really that big of a deal to me, i was just wondering if it anyone knew how.

i'll mark this question as solved if no one has a quick answer.

#33 2011-04-05 17:18:47

bgc1954

Some I use are vfat but others are ext2 and I can write to both, that's why I use auto as the file type in my fstab.

Edit: Sorry for the late response.  I was checking out that I actually could write to my vfat floppies.

Edit:  As far as the other goes there is an interesting post that might help you:  http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph … 755.0;wap2

Last edited by bgc1954 (2011-04-05 17:38:55)

#34 2015-05-10 15:05:15

Albator

Should be :
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev 0 0
instead of :
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,users,noauto,nosuid,nodev 0 0

#35 2015-05-10 15:11:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Hi Albator, welcome to Arch.

'user' and 'users' are two different mount options. See 'man mount', specifically the 'non-superuser mounts' section.

Anyway, this thread is ancient, I'm going to lock it now. Please avoid bumping old threads, especially when they are marked as "SOLVED".

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer