You are not logged in.

#176 2011-06-12 07:18:00

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

WorMzy, I think autologin is the key to it all...


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#177 2011-07-23 22:30:02

joe of loath
Member
Registered: 2010-09-28
Posts: 18

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Eh, bump...

Reason being, it all works, but I had ~2020 files to reallocate, and the process only took about 5 seconds. How long did everyone else's reallocate operation take?

Offline

#178 2011-07-23 22:47:34

cojoda
Member
Registered: 2011-05-27
Posts: 13

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

joe of loath wrote:

Eh, bump...

Reason being, it all works, but I had ~2020 files to reallocate, and the process only took about 5 seconds. How long did everyone else's reallocate operation take?

That's about how long my reallocations usually take.

Offline

#179 2011-07-27 01:52:20

kotto
Member
Registered: 2011-07-25
Posts: 1

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Now my system is 7 sec fater to bootup, tahnks for share this tip

Offline

#180 2011-07-30 16:24:58

FSX
Member
Registered: 2009-08-06
Posts: 57

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

I used this on my parent's PC and it boots in 17.5 seconds (hard boot).

But there isn't much difference for my own PC. I almost have the same software setup and better hardware.

Offline

#181 2011-08-09 08:59:07

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

For the last couple of days I appear to be in an update loop:

toad@archtop 504\6 ~ > packer -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 archlinuxfr is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 arch-games is up to date
 cream is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: kdenlive: local (0.8-3) is newer than community (0.8svn20110722-1)
:: Replace kernel26 with core/linux? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kernel26-headers with core/linux-headers? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: audit: requires kernel26-headers>=2.6.30
:: Synchronizing aur database...
 aur                                        53  53 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full aur upgrade...

Aur Targets    (1): audit
Pacman Targets (1): linux-headers

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: linux-headers and kernel26-headers are in conflict. Remove kernel26-headers? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: linux-headers and kernel26-headers are in conflict
Installation failed.

Anybody been there or even solved it?


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#182 2011-08-09 11:01:25

Unia
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 2,471
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Wow, this is amazing! From booting to Slim without flashing screens and waiting, from Slim to desktop even faster!


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#183 2011-08-09 11:10:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,237

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

toad wrote:

For the last couple of days I appear to be in an update loop:

toad@archtop 504\6 ~ > packer -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 archlinuxfr is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 arch-games is up to date
 cream is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: kdenlive: local (0.8-3) is newer than community (0.8svn20110722-1)
:: Replace kernel26 with core/linux? [Y/n] 
:: Replace kernel26-headers with core/linux-headers? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: audit: requires kernel26-headers>=2.6.30
:: Synchronizing aur database...
 aur                                        53  53 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full aur upgrade...

Aur Targets    (1): audit
Pacman Targets (1): linux-headers

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: linux-headers and kernel26-headers are in conflict. Remove kernel26-headers? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: linux-headers and kernel26-headers are in conflict
Installation failed.

Anybody been there or even solved it?

Assuming packer supports it, add -dd to the arguments. Otherwise, just use pacman:

# pacman -Syudd

Last edited by WorMzy (2011-08-09 11:10:32)


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#184 2011-08-09 11:19:16

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Cheers WorMzy,

Syudd??? What does that do? I checked man pacman and one d means no deps but couldn't find any reference to the second one. The wiki entry for pacman didn't tell me any more... Whatever, I'll try tongue

EDIT:

Worked a treat - many thanks!

Last edited by toad (2011-08-09 12:59:11)


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#185 2011-08-09 13:49:26

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Attention!

I've tried using e4rat, and after successfully having e4rat-collect do its job and init 1 stuff too, I've tried using "init=/sbin/e4rat-preload" and now I have a broken system, telling me that my partition other than root (my /home partition) cannot be checked and that it should be checked manually. I try to check it manually with "e2fsck /dev/sda3" and it tells me it's mounted. fstab and df tell it isn't. The error is framed with # signs telling me that I should fix it manually remount my root partition rw, since it's ro only if I want to change things on it. And help appreciated. Don't want to reinstall. smile

I have removed the init stuff from my menu.lst but it still does the same thing.
Bye.

Offline

#186 2011-08-09 13:55:02

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Strange. You could always boot into runlevel 1 (simply append a 1 to your kernel boot line) and run fsck.

Can you tell us more your system? file systems, hard disk, etc.


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#187 2011-08-09 14:20:29

Jelle
Member
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2011-01-30
Posts: 84

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

I once had the same and it was due to some stuff listed under /media/; perhaps it's the same for you? In my case it was caused by booting some other OS and mounting the Arch partitions from within that OS. Simply removing the entries from /media/ on the Arch partition solved it (temporarily), until I did away with that OS (can't remember which one it was).

Offline

#188 2011-08-09 14:25:36

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 5,237

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

toad wrote:

Cheers WorMzy,

Syudd??? What does that do? I checked man pacman and one d means no deps but couldn't find any reference to the second one. The wiki entry for pacman didn't tell me any more... Whatever, I'll try tongue

EDIT:

Worked a treat - many thanks!

man pacman wrote:

       -d, --nodeps
           Skips dependency version checks. Package names are still checked. Normally, pacman will
           always check a package’s dependency fields to ensure that all dependencies are installed and
           there are no package conflicts in the system. Specify this option twice to skip all
           dependency checks.

wink

Glad you got it sorted.


Sakura:-
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO // Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.4GHz // GFX: nVidia GeForce GTX 970 Ti // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR3 (@ 2133MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB Seagate SATAII 5x 1TB Samsung SATAII, 2x 120GB Corsair SSD

Online

#189 2011-08-09 14:27:53

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Okay, time to get some glasses big_smile


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#190 2011-08-09 15:06:40

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Jelle wrote:

I once had the same and it was due to some stuff listed under /media/; perhaps it's the same for you? In my case it was caused by booting some other OS and mounting the Arch partitions from within that OS. Simply removing the entries from /media/ on the Arch partition solved it (temporarily), until I did away with that OS (can't remember which one it was).

Yup. that was the thing that should've solved. Unfortunately, I was too stupid and speedy, so I issued a rm -rf on a mounted partition and erased all my files. Reinstalling completely atm. Cheers.

Offline

#191 2011-08-09 15:10:12

toad
Member
From: if only I knew
Registered: 2008-12-22
Posts: 1,775
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Ouch, that is tough! Time for a contribution to the "What's the dumbest computing mistake you've made?" thread smile


never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Offline

#192 2011-08-09 15:39:45

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Contributed. big_smile

Offline

#193 2011-08-10 11:31:37

smakked
Member
From: Gold Coast , Australia
Registered: 2008-08-14
Posts: 419

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

i tried it on my mian box with no effect that i saw it was pretty fast anyway, but my old pentium it helped


Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

Offline

#194 2011-08-14 20:53:46

JimmySJ84
Member
Registered: 2010-07-23
Posts: 12

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Hi,

Can I use e4rat if I have the /boot partition on ext2? everything else is on ext4.

Salvo

Offline

#195 2011-08-14 23:31:39

Weegee
Member
Registered: 2010-08-06
Posts: 62

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

@JimmySJ84:

I have a separate /boot partition (ext2) because I've encrypted my root/home/data partitions (they're all on ext4), and everything works flawlessly smile


~

Offline

#196 2011-08-15 07:56:58

JimmySJ84
Member
Registered: 2010-07-23
Posts: 12

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Thanks @Weegee!

Offline

#197 2011-08-15 16:12:07

swanson
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 759

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

Really great! Conky and cairo-dock really jumpstarts!

Offline

#198 2011-08-16 03:04:53

corruptz0r
Member
From: Atlanta, GA
Registered: 2010-07-07
Posts: 63

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

I am having trouble getting e4rat-collect to create startup.log.

I added init=/sbin/e4rat-collect to my grub bootup, and dmesg says (verbose 31):

[    2.392034] [e4rat-collect] Connecting to the audit socket ...
[    2.398512] [e4rat-collect] Cannot insert rules: Invalid argument
[    2.403105] [e4rat-collect] Cannot insert rules: Invalid argument
[    2.506851] [e4rat-collect] Execute `/sbin/init' ...
[    2.511633] [e4rat-collect] Stop collecting files automatically after 120 seconds
[    2.514421] [e4rat-collect] Starting event processing ...
...
[  122.447330] type=1305 audit(1313482915.297:3): audit_enabled=0 old=1 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 res=1
[  122.447379] [e4rat-collect] 	0 file(s) collected

I am on kernel 3.0.1-ck with auditing and system-call auditing enabled.

Edit: anyone, please?  I still can't find a solution and have spent an entire day sifting through logs and documentation.  No joy.

Last edited by corruptz0r (2011-08-19 00:24:54)

Offline

#199 2011-08-20 11:04:49

swanson
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2011-02-05
Posts: 759

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

I'm running e4rat with very nice results. But what if you have a couple of different kernels like one zen and one ck and one standard arch 3.0 kernel? Is it possible to run it once on one kernel and then add e4rat-preload to all kernels? Or can one have diffrent e4rat logs to work with?

Offline

#200 2011-08-20 18:30:21

triplesquarednine
Member
Registered: 2011-04-12
Posts: 630

Re: e4rat - reduce boot time (into X) by some 50% for ext4

swanson wrote:

I'm running e4rat with very nice results. But what if you have a couple of different kernels like one zen and one ck and one standard arch 3.0 kernel? Is it possible to run it once on one kernel and then add e4rat-preload to all kernels? Or can one have diffrent e4rat logs to work with?

Myself, i am using grub2 and e4rat is defined in /etc/default/grub ~ and thus is applied to all kernels. (i have linux-rt, linux-ck, and stock kernel). all of them seem to benefit from e4rat, but i too am curious if it is possible to define different logs to work with for each kernel (although, my feeling is that the speed up will be minimal, in comparison to what i am already getting).

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB