You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-18 16:55:40

rzepaczyk

Re: No power saving

btw, my notebook is working on battery mostly when I'm travelling so I don't use chrome or sth. Im reading pdf's and listening to music

#27 2011-04-18 17:03:20

laloch

rzepaczyk wrote:

btw, my notebook is working on battery mostly when I'm travelling so I don't use chrome or sth. Im reading pdf's and listening to music

]The later powertop output is actually significantly better than mine. My ntb. is i5 560M. It can run 3 - 3.5 hours on battery.
Does anyone have any idea?

#28 2011-04-18 17:11:08

laloch

I just noticed this:

Power usage (ACPI estimate): 18.2W (1.4 hours) 

18.2W is pretty decent value. Was the battery fully charged?

#29 2011-04-18 17:19:58

rzepaczyk

When I unplugged AC adapter kde battery monitor was showing 99% now(after hour and 15 minutes) it shows 20%

#30 2011-04-18 17:35:31

rzepaczyk

@laloch could you send me your laptop-mode, acpi and cpufreq configs? maybe I made mistake somewhere

#31 2011-04-18 18:01:57

einhard

Are you really sure that your laptop doesn't use intel graphics when on battery on Windows (Win7?)? Can you disable Nvidia (Intel?) card in Bios? If you can't, then the answer is simple, the problem lies mostly in graphic card. You have i3 380M, am I right? Notebook may not support optimus but probably can switch graphics in Windows. Try this, disable Nvidia discrete card in Bios if possible, change config to work with intel graphics and measure time. You can also try to disable Nvidia card with acpi_call-git from aur http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=39470.

Your notebook should take about 14W in idle. I have checked review of this model on notebookcheck and the version without nvidia card hardly gets 2h 30 min with wifi on
http://www.notebookcheck.pl/Recenzja-Le … 916.0.html (in Polish)

Have you checked this?

sudo echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy

The best way to find complete powersave solution is to look in /sys/module/ and find modules with folders parameters and searching powersaving, policy, etc. In this way I have gained 1,5h (4h altogether) on my laptop and it's 1h longer than on win7. When you find every powersave feature that you can enable try to test everything then put in laptop-mode script or pm-utils hook

btw The best browser for powersaving is Opera 11.10 which gives me about 5 more minutes on my configuration comparing to Opera 11.01 and 10-15 minutes compared to firefox4.

Last edited by einhard (2011-04-18 18:28:25)

#32 2011-04-18 18:07:38

laloch

@laloch could you send me your laptop-mode, acpi and cpufreq configs? maybe I made mistake somewhere

It's very easy smile
I don't use cpufrequtils - I don't need it. I just set the CPU governor to ondemand in /etc/rc.init
I don't use laptop-mode-tools - It doesn't work well with my Toshiba S11
I use the default acpid configuration (except of power button setting)
The only change I made to pm-utils defaults is SATA_ALPM_ENABLE="true"

The power consumption (according to powertop) is ~17W

#33 2011-04-18 18:28:19

rzepaczyk

@einhard
100% sure that my notebook does not using intel GPU. I don't even have any option in bios to disable any of GPU's. Info about grapgics in BIOS shows GeForce M310 1024mb memory. Also in windows Device Manager shows only one GPU- geforce. My best time with wifi working on Energy Star profile(it is creating after instalation of Lenovo Energy Managemetn) was about 3.5hour when on "Balanced" it was only 2hours.
@laloch
I'll try your way

#34 2011-04-18 18:45:03

einhard

What about powersave and conservative governors? Have you checked them? I know that changing /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy can give up to 30% more time on battery and like I was writing before, you should search /sys/module/ for everything that can be enabled. Other solution is to change DM, maybe LXDE, KDE is probably the most power hungry solution.

One more thing, what about screen brightness? Is it the same as on Windows? One step in brightness and time on battery can drop really drastically. LCD probably takes most power when notebook's on idle.

This Energy Star profile is probably some serious optimalizations done by producer so probably you can get close to 2h but 3.5h will be impossible due to tricks only Lenovo knows.

Last edited by einhard (2011-04-18 19:01:57)

#35 2011-04-18 19:03:56

laloch

einhard wrote:

I know that changing /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy can give up to 30% more time on battery ...

It's the default behavior of pm-utils.

einhard wrote:

KDE is probably the most power hungry solution.

Any supporting arguments?

#36 2011-04-18 19:19:38

einhard

laloch wrote:
einhard wrote:

I know that changing /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy can give up to 30% more time on battery ...

It's the default behavior of pm-utils.

einhard wrote:

KDE is probably the most power hungry solution.

Any supporting arguments?

On my configuration, without anything done  /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy is set to performance. I think that now pm-utils don't have any hooks because they were outdated.

Supporting arguments are simple, more processor wakeups-from-idle per second and my own experience (I have installed LXDE and KDE). There were some tests in the past with gnome, KDE, Xfce and LXDE (maybe on phoronix.com, I don't remember very well) and they showed that the differences between Xfce, LXDE, Gnome were small but KDE was somewhat more power hungry. We are talking about something less than 1W of course.

Edit: I found it http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … tals&num=1
from second test

Now when looking at the battery consumption for this second test the numbers are more intriguing than the battery-power-usage test profile results. KDE 4.4.1 ended up consuming the most amount of power during this test with an average rate of 14.1 Watts while LXDE did the best at 12.9 Watts, or a 9% reduction in the power drain. GNOME 2.29.1 was second best in terms of consuming the least amount of power with an average of 13.1 Watts while Xfce was slightly behind at 13.3 Watts.

Last edited by einhard (2011-04-18 19:28:28)

#37 2011-04-18 19:58:27

laloch

einhard wrote:

On my configuration, without anything done  /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy is set to performance. I think that now pm-utils don't have any hooks because they were outdated.

pm_utils have all their default hooks in /usr/lib/pm-utils. Guess what power.d/pcie_aspm does ;-)

einhard wrote:

Supporting arguments are simple, more processor wakeups-from-idle per second and my own experience (I have installed LXDE and KDE). There were some tests in the past with gnome, KDE, Xfce and LXDE (maybe on phoronix.com, I don't remember very well) and they showed that the differences between Xfce, LXDE, Gnome were small but KDE was somewhat more power hungry. We are talking about something less than 1W of course.

Edit: I found it http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … tals&num=1
from second test

Now when looking at the battery consumption for this second test the numbers are more intriguing than the battery-power-usage test profile results. KDE 4.4.1 ended up consuming the most amount of power during this test with an average rate of 14.1 Watts while LXDE did the best at 12.9 Watts, or a 9% reduction in the power drain. GNOME 2.29.1 was second best in terms of consuming the least amount of power with an average of 13.1 Watts while Xfce was slightly behind at 13.3 Watts.

Well, the article doesn't say anything about KDE configuration. In LXDE/Gnome there is virtually nothing to setup up, whereas in KDE there are many options with significant impact on performance and memory footprint.

#38 2011-04-18 20:13:20

einhard

laloch wrote:
einhard wrote:

pm_utils have all their default hooks in /usr/lib/pm-utils. Guess what power.d/pcie_aspm does ;-)

Hooks in /usr/lib/pm-utils are gone in my package. Nevertheless from old hook

case $1 in
    true) echo powersave > "$aspm";;
    false) echo default > "$aspm";;
    *) exit $NA;;
esac

default=/=powersave in some configurations (i know it's on AC)

I have my own script for powersave solution only for my laptop. I don't use anything else. It's the best option available.

Well, the article doesn't say anything about KDE configuration. In LXDE/Gnome there is virtually nothing to setup up, whereas in KDE there are many options with significant impact on performance and memory footprint.

Like I was saying I have experience that both temperatures and power consumption are higher on KDE (with almost everything disabled (strigi, nepomuk, effects, animations, etc.)) than LXDE, especially bad was version 4.6; 4.6.2 is somewhat better but the difference is still noticeable. The difference only occurs with light load of CPU like browsing web, reading pdf, etc. At least on my notebooks.

Last edited by einhard (2011-04-18 20:31:17)

#39 2011-04-18 20:38:10

laloch

einhard wrote:

Hooks in /usr/lib/pm-utils are gone in my package.

Latest pm-utils 1.4.1-3, last updated on 2011-03-25, contain the /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/pcie_aspm hook, which sets PCIe PM to powersave on battery and to default on AC.

Like I was saying I have experience that both temperatures and power consumption are higher on KDE (with almost everythiing disabled (strigi, nepomuk, effects, animations, etc.)) than LXDE, especially bad was version 4.6; 4.6.2 is somewhat better but the difference is still noticeable. The difference only occurs with light load of CPU like browsing web, reading pdf, etc.

My experience with GTK applications in genaral is quite a different (mainly constant repainting of whole windows without any apparent reason), but it's really offtopic for this thread.

Board footer