You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-02 03:49:52

triplesquarednine

Re: Trying to make GNOME 3 a bit like GNOME 2

Aventinus wrote:

Hello guys. I'm a GNOME fanatic but I must admit that GNOME 3 has concerned me. At first I didn't like it at all. Then I got used to it a little and after that I reminded myself that even with GNOME 2 I certainly did NOT used any of the default theme/features etc. So I need to give some time to GNOME 3 for the devs to make mods, themes etc.

Right now 3 things concern me:

1. I'm using Cairo Dock but I found out that I cannot drag and drop apps from the Activities menu to the dock. Any ideas how to do this? (I'm really embarassed to admit it, but after 4 years on Linux I still don't know another way to add apps to cairo dock :-/ )
2. Is there anyway to make the system tray that appears on the down-right corner move up like GNOME 2 used to?
3. At last, are there any widgets for the bar? I like the upper bar full or else I find it boring and useless.

Thanks in advance!

*** I have a proper solution to 1!!

in cairo-docks configuration utility you can fix the problem by enabling the application menu. this will load a gtk2 menu that you can drag and drop applications from unto cairo-dock.

right-click on cairo-dock --> upto cairo-dock -> configure -> Desktop Section -> Applications menu ... enable it , and fixed.

i now am keeping Gnome3 panel hidden, unless i want to look at the time. smile

jordan

#27 2011-05-03 01:50:17

triplesquarednine

1. I use Compiz with the GTK Window Decorator but my windows have no buttons. Any ideas how to fix this? And
2. I'd like to remove the lower bar but I don't know how.

GTK3 seems to be working on my machine - and has close and maximize button.

for #2

you need to find the "user-menu" key in dconf-editor.

.org --> gnome --> gnome-panel --> layout --> lop-level-id list

now, you just remove the name of the dock, ie: bottom-panel and voila - no more bottom panel.

I actually have gotten rid of both, and instead i am using cairo-dock's menu.  (to have no panel, write "no-panel")

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-03 01:51:06)

#28 2011-05-03 06:03:40

Continwm
Website

triplesquarednine wrote:

now, you just remove the name of the dock, ie: bottom-panel and voila - no more bottom panel.

I actually have gotten rid of both, and instead i am using cairo-dock's menu.  (to have no panel, write "no-panel")

jordan

Tried changing the "top-level-id" list, but it didn't work. Is a cairo-dock installation a must for this hack?

#29 2011-05-04 16:50:03

sergi34

I found the solution for all this Gnome 3 stuff and it works perfect. I've tweaked it to resemble to Gnome2.

The solution is: Go to XFCE 4.8.

It's the most similar desktop to Gnome 2 and also it's lighter than Gnome 2. You can tweak to resemble Gnome 2 (compiz, composite, big icons, guake)...
I'm really ok now with XFCE. In the process of going to XFCE, I have also adopted nouveau that is really perfect. I don't need nvidia official (and problematic 270 version) drivers anymore.

No need to ignore packages at all.

So Bye bye Gnome (3). Welcome XFCE.

#30 2011-05-05 01:52:46

el_zoona
Website

Aventinus wrote:

2. Is there anyway to make the system tray that appears on the down-right corner move up like GNOME 2 used to?

Kind of: http://bone.twbbs.org.tw/blog/archives/2148

The only Gnome2's feature I'm missing is my taskbar, besides that I'm fine with Gnome3.

// Send more Chuck Berry

#31 2011-05-05 02:02:49

triplesquarednine

Continwm wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:

jordan

Tried changing the "top-level-id" list, but it didn't work. Is a cairo-dock installation a must for this hack?

no, it does not require cairo,  try this. Go into dconf-editor, navigate to gnome-panel, click on layout, then toplevel-id list, remove which ever panel that you don't want. If it doesn't change right away.  click the bottom on the right-bottom corner, where it says "set to default". it should work. I am using gnome3 without using gnome-panel at all.

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-05 02:08:59)

#32 2011-05-05 02:07:11

triplesquarednine

sergi34 wrote:

I found the solution for all this Gnome 3 stuff and it works perfect. I've tweaked it to resemble to Gnome2.

It's the most similar desktop to Gnome 2 and also it's lighter than Gnome 2. You can tweak to resemble Gnome 2 (compiz, composite, big icons, guake)...
I'm really ok now with XFCE. In the process of going to XFCE, I have also adopted nouveau that is really perfect. I don't need nvidia official (and problematic 270 version) drivers anymore.

Xfce isn't the most similar to gnome2 - Gnome3 fallback is...  you can use Compiz, have nautilus manage your desktop, etc.
Xfce is a different DE, and not the same experience as gnome. G3 takes some tweaking, but it is very similar to gnome2, as long as your not using Gnome-Shell. Gnome3 is also lighter than gnome2... (and i didn't have to change desktops!)

jordan

#33 2011-05-05 09:55:20

sergi34

triplesquarednine wrote:
sergi34 wrote:

Xfce isn't the most similar to gnome2 - Gnome3 fallback is...  you can use Compiz, have nautilus manage your desktop, etc.
Xfce is a different DE, and not the same experience as gnome. G3 takes some tweaking, but it is very similar to gnome2, as long as your not using Gnome-Shell. Gnome3 is also lighter than gnome2... (and i didn't have to change desktops!)

jordan

I don't agree with you. I've tried also Gnome 3 fallback and is not like gnome 2. XFCE4 is not like gnome 2, of course, but the style is very similar. My Experience with Gnome 3 has been installing trying it some things, rebooting and get stuck with the desktop hanged. Really strange, not an xorg problem (logs ok). It just only worked the first time, I suppose I changed something tweaking Gnome 3 that broked it next time it rebooted.

I'm sorry, I have no patience for this kind of things. Xfce4 as a desktop and running Gtk, KDE, qt or whatever application you need with his libraries installed is really ok for me now.

I was a KDE 3 user before. When KDE 4.0 appeared I get so frustrated that I began to use Gnome 2. until now and frustrating again with Gnome 3. So the story repeats again. I hope Xfce4 don't break the simplicity in version 5 or 6, and continue this way forever.

#34 2011-05-06 04:13:01

triplesquarednine

I don't agree with you. I've tried also Gnome 3 fallback and is not like gnome 2. XFCE4 is not like gnome 2, of course, but the style is very similar. My Experience with Gnome 3 has been installing trying it some things, rebooting and get stuck with the desktop hanged. Really strange, not an xorg problem (logs ok). It just only worked the first time, I suppose I changed something tweaking Gnome 3 that broked it next time it rebooted.

I'm sorry, I have no patience for this kind of things. Xfce4 as a desktop and running Gtk, KDE, qt or whatever application you need with his libraries installed is really ok for me now.

I was a KDE 3 user before. When KDE 4.0 appeared I get so frustrated that I began to use Gnome 2. until now and frustrating again with Gnome 3. So the story repeats again. I hope Xfce4 don't break the simplicity in version 5 or 6, and continue this way forever.

Ouch, that sucks that G3 broke on you. I haven't had any troublesome issues like that so far. I've got G3 running near perfect (actually better than gnome2). I ditched the default theme, modified my current GTK3 theme - using CSS for theming is really handy, and GTK3 is definitely a step up from GTK2....

I had also been tempted to switch to Xfce - it's a decent DE . but after figuring out how to fix everything in Gnome3, i don't see much of a point in switching. but if they get rid of fallback, then i'll be forced to just manually setup my DE - and not use Xfce, KDE or any of that stuff.

jordan

#35 2011-05-07 16:18:37

Aventinus

el_zoona wrote:
Aventinus wrote:

The only Gnome2's feature I'm missing is my taskbar, besides that I'm fine with Gnome3.

Have you tried it? I'm actually a bit afraid of using that method. :-/

That's the feature I miss the most, too.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

#36 2011-05-07 16:33:36

triplesquarednine

Continwm wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:

jordan

Hey, I actually have a proper solution to removing parts of gnome3 that are not wanted, including gnome-panel.  I still need to sit down and write a guide for it.
But i will post a link, if you-re still interested?

It's reasonably easy to do, but requires explanation before hand - as the tools required to do so, are gnome 3 specific. so most people are still very unfamiliar with these tools.

jordan

#37 2011-05-07 19:50:02

yawns

Aventinus wrote:
el_zoona wrote:
Aventinus wrote:

Don't be afraid. This is how you're supposed to extend GNOME (as opposed to hacking up the default ui files, which get overwritten on updates). I've been using the extension linked above and it works great. It requires a small amount of manual editing, but that's all.

You can create the whole thing yourself if you want. Make the directory

~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/EvilStatusIconForever@NBGentoo

If you don't like the name, you can call the directory anything you want. Just make sure the uuid parameter in the metadata.json file matches. You can set the name parameter in that file to absolutely anything.

Create two empty files in the extension directory: metadata.json and extension.js.

metadata.json:

{
    "shell-version": ["3.0.1"], 
    "uuid": "EvilStatusIconForever@NBGentoo", 
    "name": "Evil Status Icon Forerver", 
    "description": "This extension let you make notification status icon show at the top bar"
}

extension.js:

const StatusIconDispatcher = imports.ui.statusIconDispatcher;
const Panel = imports.ui.panel;

function main() {
    StatusIconDispatcher.STANDARD_TRAY_ICON_IMPLEMENTATIONS['app1 name'] = 'app1 name';
    StatusIconDispatcher.STANDARD_TRAY_ICON_IMPLEMENTATIONS['app2 name'] = 'app2 name';
}

And that's it. Alt-F2, r, enter to reload the shell. Doing this won't disrupt any of your work.

#38 2011-05-07 20:11:31

Aventinus

yawns wrote:
Aventinus wrote:
el_zoona wrote:

Don't be afraid. This is how you're supposed to extend GNOME (as opposed to hacking up the default ui files, which get overwritten on updates). I've been using the extension linked above and it works great. It requires a small amount of manual editing, but that's all.

You can create the whole thing yourself if you want. Make the directory

~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/EvilStatusIconForever@NBGentoo

If you don't like the name, you can call the directory anything you want. Just make sure the uuid parameter in the metadata.json file matches. You can set the name parameter in that file to absolutely anything.

Create two empty files in the extension directory: metadata.json and extension.js.

metadata.json:

{
    "shell-version": ["3.0.1"], 
    "uuid": "EvilStatusIconForever@NBGentoo", 
    "name": "Evil Status Icon Forerver", 
    "description": "This extension let you make notification status icon show at the top bar"
}

extension.js:

const StatusIconDispatcher = imports.ui.statusIconDispatcher;
const Panel = imports.ui.panel;

function main() {
    StatusIconDispatcher.STANDARD_TRAY_ICON_IMPLEMENTATIONS['app1 name'] = 'app1 name';
    StatusIconDispatcher.STANDARD_TRAY_ICON_IMPLEMENTATIONS['app2 name'] = 'app2 name';
}

And that's it. Alt-F2, r, enter to reload the shell. Doing this won't disrupt any of your work.

OK but how about future GNOME updates?

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

#39 2011-05-07 20:40:42

yawns

This is how it's supposed to be done. GNOME has official (or close enough, since they're hosting them) extensions that do things the same way (the same ones available in the AUR). Maybe I'm being too faithful, but I don't think they'll do anything to break this functionality in the future. The only issue right now is that the shell-version needs to exactly match the version in metadata.json, so if there's an update that jumps a version number, you need to correct your file/s. Hopefully they'll change that so that shell-version will mean, "minimum version," and not, "The one and only version."

#40 2011-07-18 09:56:05

juanmah
Website

There is an extension that does the same, and it is integrated at dconf-editor:

gnome-shell-extension-zodiac-icon-manager-git at http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=50623

Icon manager
===============================================================================
Add/remove icons from top bar panel by simple editing gconf settings

How to use?
===============================================================================
1. run dconf-editor
Press Alt+F2, type dconf-editor

2. Find settings
org/gnome/shell/extensions/icon-manager

3. Edit key
* top-bar: put icons that you want to remove from top-bar or move from tray bar

4. To accept changes you need to restart gnome-shell