You are not logged in.

#101 2011-06-27 19:18:43

Guff
Website

Re: Slimlock - fairly simple X screenlocker that looks like SLiM

nixfag wrote:

I got that also too,today.I've let my computer with my weechat window open and then locked with slimlock and when I came back I could see the weechat window but I couldn't see dwm's statusbar nor the dzen bar and I've quickly typed my password and it worked back.

Is your weechat window set to raise itself on getting new messages or something?

#102 2011-06-27 19:22:44

nixfag

Guff wrote:
nixfag wrote:

I got that also too,today.I've let my computer with my weechat window open and then locked with slimlock and when I came back I could see the weechat window but I couldn't see dwm's statusbar nor the dzen bar and I've quickly typed my password and it worked back.

Is your weechat window set to raise itself on getting new messages or something?

I've set it to beep,I don't know if that makes any difference at all.(i use beep from [extra]).

#103 2011-06-27 19:31:27

Guff
Website

nixfag wrote:

I've set it to beep,I don't know if that makes any difference at all.(i use beep from [extra]).

Hrm. Have you ever noticed a problem like this with any other screenlocker?
And are you able to replicate the bug now?

#104 2011-06-28 15:09:51

Guff
Website

Okay, well, I talked to Joel about it and the best we could come up with is a fairly hackish solution: create a thread that runs once a second that does nothing but try and raise slimlock's window.

Now, it doesn't seem to work perfectly. In some instances at least, the intrusive windows stay up. The difference is with this change, at least slimlock will present itself once the problem window is dismissed, rather than staying under. Thing is, I still haven't been able to replicate this behavior myself. I'm thinking then that the window manager (I use awesome) plays a role in this.

And as far as we can tell, this problem affects at least slock and xscreensaver, as well. I'd love to be able to fix this problem, but it seems that no one else has.

#105 2011-07-30 15:13:43

Arathis

Hi. Just came across slimlock today. It's great and works very good for me. Only problem I have are umlauts (I'm German). Although I have LANG=de_DE.utf8 slimlock presents  plsu a block-symbol. Looks kinda weird :-/

Of course a daemon function would be nice because one wouldn't need to rely on xautolock, but that's just a bonus smile

EDIT: okay, I'm confused. This seems to be a SLiM related problem I haven't noticed before.

Last edited by Arathis (2011-07-30 15:26:05)

#106 2011-07-30 15:49:07

Guff
Website

Arathis wrote:

Hi. Just came across slimlock today. It's great and works very good for me. Only problem I have are umlauts (I'm German). Although I have LANG=de_DE.utf8 slimlock presents  plsu a block-symbol. Looks kinda weird :-/

Of course a daemon function would be nice because one wouldn't need to rely on xautolock, but that's just a bonus smile

EDIT: okay, I'm confused. This seems to be a SLiM related problem I haven't noticed before.

Yeah, slimlock is ASCII-only, really. What exactly is showing up as a block, though?

Well, you might be interested in another project of mine, luaock. It has daemon functionality (albeit limited at this point) and also should work fine with unicode. Of course, it takes a little knowledge of lua to edit the sample config.

#107 2011-08-01 14:45:25

archlinux2011

using arch with slimlock in virtualbox this doesnt lock the screen when the timeout hits which is set to 60. any idea why? i go to other windows (outside vm) for more then 60 sec and it never times out and locks. will this auto lock if the laptop lid is closed or no if used on a real machine?

#108 2011-08-01 15:54:49

Guff
Website

archlinux2011 wrote:

using arch with slimlock in virtualbox this doesnt lock the screen when the timeout hits which is set to 60. any idea why? i go to other windows (outside vm) for more then 60 sec and it never times out and locks. will this auto lock if the laptop lid is closed or no if used on a real machine?

What are you using to run slimlock? xautolock? Do other screenlockers work correctly?

To have it lock on lid close, you'd have to configure your ACPI handler.sh script. It works fine for me.

#109 2011-08-01 17:12:31

archlinux2011

i must be doing something wrong. i used pacman to install xautolock and when i do xautolock -nowlocker slimlock it does nothing just moves my cursor down a line and sit there. do i need to configure anything with it to get this to work?

edit: just tried xautolock -enable but it gives an error about no running process or owned by another user. this makes sense as i dont see it in the process list. do i need to start it as a daemon?

Last edited by archlinux2011 (2011-08-01 17:16:12)

#110 2011-08-01 17:41:02

Guff
Website

Well, I don't use xautolock myself. But from reading its help output, yeah, you seem to be using it incorrectly.

If you want it to lock the screen automatically after a minute then try:

xautolock -locker slimlock -time 1

This runs it as a daemon.

If you want to lock the screen immediately, first run the above, then:

xautolock -locknow

That causes an already running xautolock to lock.

#111 2011-08-01 17:49:21

archlinux2011

what would you suggest instead of xautolock? i really need it to just lock on key combo or if i close the lid or enter sleep/hibernate mode on a laptop.

#112 2011-08-01 18:09:06

Guff
Website

archlinux2011 wrote:

what would you suggest instead of xautolock? i really need it to just lock on key combo or if i close the lid or enter sleep/hibernate mode on a laptop.

Just use whatever your DE or WM provides to assign slimlock to a hotkey. Or use xbindkeys.

As for locking on lid close, if you use acpid, it's fairly simple. In your /etc/acpi/handler.sh, just add something like

su <your username> -c slimlock

to the button/lid case in the case statement.
If you use something else, I dunno then.

#113 2011-08-01 18:45:51

archlinux2011

worked perfect thanks. had to edit ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml and added the W-l (windows key + l) keybinding and had it execute slimlock.

#114 2011-09-04 17:24:06

Liquen

Hi Guff,

slimlock (slimlock-git-20110904-1) is now giving me "Segmentation fault" after it ends. It runs normally, but this is annoying since I have to "xset -dpms" everytime to avoid unintended screen blankings.

Any directions for debugging?

Thanks.

#115 2011-09-06 22:17:27

miguelroboso

Hi,
great screen locker, I was looking for something like it.
However, I have a dual screen setup and the "user: blabla" appears between the two screens.
Can you tell me where to put hands to move that below the panel?

#116 2011-09-07 13:26:05

Guff
Website

miguelroboso wrote:

Hi,
However, I have a dual screen setup and the "user: blabla" appears between the two screens.

How are your monitors set up?

#117 2011-09-07 21:05:14

orschiro
Website

Guff wrote:
archlinux2011 wrote:

Just use whatever your DE or WM provides to assign slimlock to a hotkey. Or use xbindkeys.

As for locking on lid close, if you use acpid, it's fairly simple. In your /etc/acpi/handler.sh, just add something like

su <your username> -c slimlock

to the button/lid case in the case statement.
If you use something else, I dunno then.

I tried that in my handler.sh.

button/lid)
        #echo "LID switched!">/dev/tty5
        su robert -c slimlock       
        ;;
    *)
        logger "ACPI group/action undefined: $1 / $2"
        ;;

However I have to enter my username and password twice. Instead of unlocking the screen after first entering I get prompted the login screen again.

What causes this issue?

#118 2011-09-07 21:08:07

miguelroboso

Guff wrote:
miguelroboso wrote:

Hi,

How are your monitors set up?

Hmmm in SliM or in xorg? I didn't do anything, actually, it's just the basic configuration that I got from the nvidia driver configurator. Basically the desktop is extended in the two monitor, and xfce4 sees them as two distinct monitors (different background).
SlIm allowed me to move the panel a bit left with the relative percentages (10%/50%).
I am using the archlinux simple theme

#119 2011-09-08 09:13:33

X-dark
Website

miguelroboso wrote:

Hmmm in SliM or in xorg? I didn't do anything, actually, it's just the basic configuration that I got from the nvidia driver configurator. Basically the desktop is extended in the two monitor, and xfce4 sees them as two distinct monitors (different background).
SlIm allowed me to move the panel a bit left with the relative percentages (10%/50%).

What "xrandr" reports you ?

Cedric Girard

#120 2011-09-08 14:22:22

miguelroboso

X-dark wrote:
miguelroboso wrote:

What "xrandr" reports you ?

Hi, this is the output of xrandr:

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 3200 x 1200, current 3200 x 1200, maximum 3200 x 1200
default connected 3200x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   3200x1200      50.0* 

#121 2011-09-08 15:03:15

X-dark
Website

OK. It's different from my setup where I see individual outs under the Screen 0 covering the whole workspace.

Cedric Girard

#122 2011-09-09 12:58:23

Guff
Website

orschiro wrote:

However I have to enter my username and password twice. Instead of unlocking the screen after first entering I get prompted the login screen again.

What causes this issue?

Hrm. My guess is that the button/lid event is being triggered twice: once on closing and once on opening. Though, slimlock has a lockfile to make sure only one instance is running at a time, so that shouldn't happen even if that's the case.

Unfortunately, I don't really know much about acpid and whatnot. Perhaps someone else has an idea how to fix it?

@miguelroboso: Argh. I'm not sure I can help you. I haven't the slightest idea how multi-monitor stuff works under nvidia. The problem seems to be that the xrandr library thinks you've only got one giant screen. And I've got no idea how to convince it otherwise.
If you or someone else could point me to some documentation so I could get an understanding of it I could try and fix the problem for you. Keep in mind I won't be able to test it, however.

#123 2011-09-25 11:23:28

65kid

hi,

I've been using Slimlock for a few weeks and it works great. I recently reinstalled my server and did a fresh Git compile from the AUR.  The machine is more of a server and sometimes locked for days without being used (except ssh).

Here is my problem: I saw slimlock using 199% CPU (I have 4 cores btw) about two or three times now, if I kill it and lock again, everything is fine. I'm not sure yet if it happens after a certain amount of time or if it is "triggered" by something. I'm gonna keep an eye on this and hope to find out soon. Just wanted to report it, maybe you have an idea.

#124 2011-09-26 13:13:26

Guff
Website

65kid wrote:

hi,

I've been using Slimlock for a few weeks and it works great. I recently reinstalled my server and did a fresh Git compile from the AUR.  The machine is more of a server and sometimes locked for days without being used (except ssh).

Here is my problem: I saw slimlock using 199% CPU (I have 4 cores btw) about two or three times now, if I kill it and lock again, everything is fine. I'm not sure yet if it happens after a certain amount of time or if it is "triggered" by something. I'm gonna keep an eye on this and hope to find out soon. Just wanted to report it, maybe you have an idea.

Hrm. When that happens, does slimlock become non-responsive? Also, when it happens, does it just happen suddenly or does it start eating your CPU as soon as it's started?

And can you list the other things you had running at the time?

#125 2011-09-26 17:33:05

Revolt
Website

I noticed that my system was unable to hibernate properly since a few days back. I've determined the new slimlock tty changing prevention mechanism to be the culprit.

pm-hibernate (using the uswsusp backend) usually changes to a tty while saving the current system's state and, being unable to do so, it just silently gives up on the hibernation process. I could, in principle, just launch slimlock after calling pm-hibernate but that usually results in the system being left without lockscreen for 1-2 seconds after resume.

Maybe you could set it as a configurable option or something?

Board footer