You are not logged in.

#276 2012-06-27 15:19:24

bwat47

Re: pacaur - an AUR helper that minimizes user interaction

Gen2ly wrote:

Thanks for this Spyhawk, looks to be very well done. 

I read the third page regarding sudo permissions, and I still a bit confused.  Can pacaur be invoked to run without a password (i.e. inferred w/o the --asroot option)?  Since I have pacman in my sudoers, I figure either pacaur or cower is calling sudo, and this seems built-in (as I tried to put cower in my sudoers as well).  I know this may be a minor amelioration but running password-less would help me greatly.  Any ideas?

By default you do not need to use sudo with pacaur, it does it automatically.

#277 2012-06-28 05:47:46

Spyhawk

Gen2ly wrote:

Thanks for this Spyhawk, looks to be very well done. 

I read the third page regarding sudo permissions, and I still a bit confused.  Can pacaur be invoked to run without a password (i.e. inferred w/o the --asroot option)?  Since I have pacman in my sudoers, I figure either pacaur or cower is calling sudo, and this seems built-in (as I tried to put cower in my sudoers as well).  I know this may be a minor amelioration but running password-less would help me greatly.  Any ideas?

Yes, by default pacaur will prompt sudo for you, but you can configure sudo to make pacaur entirely passwordless. Not recommanded, but possible. Check the sudo wiki page. Only /usr/bin/pacman needs to be configured, cower does not need to call sudo.

Edit: Something like "your_username ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/pacman" might work.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-06-28 06:02:02)

#278 2012-08-03 16:13:56

Raynman

FYI: I'm working on zsh completion.

I settled on pacaur after trying a few AUR helpers when clyde was no longer usable with newer pacman versions. It's pretty good, but I still miss the completions.

Unfortunately, it turns out pacman's completion could use a lot of improvements and a couple bug fixes, so I'm spending some time with zsh's documentation to figure that out before I can get to extensions for pacaur's AUR handling.

#279 2012-08-04 12:45:23

Spyhawk

Raynman> Great. Let me know when that's ready so I can include it in a next release. Nicoulaj said he was working on a similar completion file, but it seems this effort never achieved.
I also still need to improve bash completion file (see issue #65), but I can't find the motivation to do it sad

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-08-04 12:47:25)

#280 2012-08-07 01:27:31

berz_

Spyhawk wrote:

I also still need to improve bash completion file (see issue #65), but I can't find the motivation to do it sad

I took up the challenge and it kind of works. The fix seemed kind of trivial, although it can probably use some massive improvements.
Didn't test it thoroughly though since I still don't use pacaur to wrap pacman commands, so it is quite possible that I missed something.
I made a github account so I could send you a pull request, hope I did it right.

#281 2012-08-07 05:46:52

Spyhawk

berz_ wrote:
Spyhawk wrote:

I took up the challenge and it kind of works. The fix seemed kind of trivial, although it can probably use some massive improvements.
Didn't test it thoroughly though since I still don't use pacaur to wrap pacman commands, so it is quite possible that I missed something.
I made a github account so I could send you a pull request, hope I did it right.

Fantastic! I've merge your work and released it in 3.2.1. We'll see if it need further improvement, but so far it seems to work like a charm smile
Thanks a lot for your contribution, you are awesome smile

#282 2012-08-23 13:37:04

Decorian
Website

Thanks Spyhawk for this program, it has really helped me.

I have one issue though. I have been using it to install firefox-aurora which is a nightly build that doesn't update the tarball's filename each time. When I run pacaur -Syu it doesn't know it needs to update it because the version is "latest" which hasn't changed, this is fine and expected.

However, when I force it to update with pacaur -Syu firefox-aurora (along with updating any other packages that need it) pacaur finds the existing tarball, doesn't bother to redownload it, and hence it fails the checksum. The name of the file hasn't changed but the contents have. Is there a way that I can tell pacaur to clear its cache (of just this package) or maybe force a redownload attempt when it encounters a failed checksum?

It might help you to know that the md5 sum used for comparison is forced to be redownloaded each time by the PKGBUILD script, I had a quick look to see if there was a way to use the PKGBUILD script to force the file to be redownloaded. Sorry if this is not an issue with pacaur but instead with the PKGBUILD script for firefox-aurora. I just thought that redownloading on a checksum failure may be useful in other situations (eg. failed download).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I just found and deleted the relevant firefox-aurora files in the pacaur temp directory which fixed the immediate problem.
I also thought I'd report that a couple of days ago I updated pacaur with pacaur and nothing bad happened. I do update running programs all the time though, things that I run a lot like browsers, email clients, torrent clients all get updated whilst running.

Last edited by Decorian (2012-08-23 13:41:45)

#283 2012-08-24 06:38:38

Spyhawk

Decorian> What you're looking for is "pacaur -c firefox-aurora" that cleans the package build directory for you ;]

There is no way of telling pacaur to redownload the source if the md5sum failed, as this is build in makepkg itself and that is a security feature. This normally isn't a problem, but this PKGBUILD is not following normal procedure as you have guessed.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-08-24 06:54:23)

#284 2012-09-06 15:28:33

philomath

Hi,

It would be nice to support the '-d' operation for files in the official repos too, downloading the PKGBUILD from git or ABS (i.e. what pbget does).  this is the only operation that dosn't work across both the AUR and the official repos.

Thanks.

#285 2012-09-06 15:36:09

Spyhawk

philomath wrote:

Hi,

It would be nice to support the '-d' operation for files in the official repos too, downloading the PKGBUILD from git or ABS (i.e. what pbget does).  this is the only operation that dosn't work across both the AUR and the official repos.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's something I planned to do. I opened a github issue some time ago, but never took time to implement it, mostly because I'm not using that feature. The original pbfetch also does it, although it "downloads" from ABS only (simply moves the PKGBUILD from /var/abs to the build directory).

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-09-06 16:03:25)

#286 2012-10-28 00:36:04

SuperBo

I've installed pacaur. I have about 10 git/svn package in my system. But when I run pacaur -Syau --devel or pacaur -u --devel, nothing happens.

pacaur -Syau --devel
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

#287 2012-10-28 11:52:58

Spyhawk

SuperBo> I need additional information. Which devel packages are you trying to update? A bash debug output might also help (bash -x pacaur -Suy --devel).

Edit: Fixed in 3.2.6.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-10-30 07:33:58)

#288 2012-11-07 12:26:14

ixeft

Hello,

I got a problem with pacaur...
I can search into AUR, but when I want to install a package, I get a "unable to find the target"

$ pacaur -Ss ttf-droid-sans
aur/ttf-droid-sans 2.0-1 (36)
    DroidSans is a beautiful font designed by Steve Matteson for the Open Handset Alliance platform, Android.

$ pacaur -S ttf-droid-sans
Error : unable to find target : ttf-droid-sans

I can get any package using cower and yaourt without any trouble.

Thank in advance for your help

--
ixeft

#289 2012-11-07 13:12:39

Spyhawk

Working as expected on my machine:

pacaur -S ttf-droid-sans
:: Package(s) ttf-droid-sans not found in repositories, trying AUR...

AUR Targets (1): ttf-droid-sans

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Edit ttf-droid-sans PKGBUILD? [Y/n] n
:: View ttf-droid-sans .install script? [Y/n] n
:: Building ttf-droid-sans package...
==> Making package: ttf-droid-sans 2.0-1 (Wed Nov  7 17:55:17 MUT 2012)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Downloading ttf-droid_20101110+git.orig.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 3094k  100 3094k    0     0   116k      0  0:00:26  0:00:26 --:--:--  118k
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    ttf-droid_20101110+git.orig.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
  -> Extracting ttf-droid_20101110+git.orig.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...                                                                                         
==> Creating package...                                                                                                                                
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...                                                                                                                       
  -> Adding install file...                                                                                                                            
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: ttf-droid-sans 2.0-1 (Wed Nov  7 17:55:49 MUT 2012)
==> Installing package ttf-droid-sans with pacman-color -U...
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): ttf-droid-sans-2.0-1

Total Installed Size:   0.48 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                           [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                          [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                        [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) installing ttf-droid-sans                                                            [#####################################################] 100%
Updating font cache ...Done.
:: ttf-droid-sans cleaned

Error : unable to find target : ttf-droid-sans

It seems the above is the error output of cower.

Does "cower -d  ttf-droid-sans" work?

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-11-07 13:59:05)

#290 2012-11-11 22:23:31

ixeft

cower -d  ttf-droid-sans
:: ttf-droid-sans downloaded to /home/myhomedir 

cower works well hmm

And my problem apply to all packages from AUR, ttf-droid-sans is just an example...

--
ixeft

Last edited by ixeft (2012-11-11 22:31:47)

#291 2012-11-12 05:11:26

Spyhawk

ixeft> I can't reproduce. Please provide a debug output (bash -x pacaur -S pkg).

Last edited by Spyhawk (2012-11-12 05:58:32)

#292 2012-11-26 16:15:50

ixeft

Hi!

I found the bug! pacaur doesn't works with a none US locale!

~$ LC_MESSAGES=xx_XX pacaur -S ttf-droid-sans
Error : unable to find target : ttf-droid-sans (in an other language)

~$ LC_MESSAGES=en_US pacaur -S ttf-droid-sans
:: Package(s) ttf-droid-sans not found in repositories, trying AUR...
AUR Targets (1): ttf-droid-sans

I found it trying to get an english log for you >_<

--
ixeft

Last edited by ixeft (2012-11-26 16:17:39)

#293 2012-11-27 04:57:21

Spyhawk

ixeft> This is a known bug. Pacaur tries to change the user locale to the C locale prior to any operation. This works in most cases.
Could you show me your locale settings? I'll see if I can improve the workaround.

Due to time and interest constraint, I do not plan to fully internationalize pacaur. Feel free to send any patch.

#294 2012-12-10 16:04:16

Supplantr
Website

Hello, I've been using pacaur for a while now without issue. However, after setting the list and listchars options in my vimrc, I get this error when opting to edit PKGBUILDs through pacaur:

Error detected while processing /home/james/.vimrc:
line   56:
E474: Invalid argument: listchars=tab:~V\ ,eol:¬,extends:#,nbsp:~\~W,trail:â~\~W
Press ENTER or type command to continue

Using packer does not produce such an error.

I use linux and I dont understand nothing in this post.

#295 2012-12-11 09:26:09

Spyhawk

This is directly related to vim settings. A quick google search gave me the solution.

Add the following above the invalid listchars options in your vimrc:

set encoding=utf-8

I guess packer passes the utf option to the editor variable automatically.

#296 2012-12-11 12:02:14

Supplantr
Website

Well, the solution wasn't that (encoding=utf-8 is and has been set), but it was equally straightforward. I commented out pacaur's export LANG=C line and everything worked as expected. Guess this is one of the cases in which that doesn't work. wink

I use linux and I dont understand nothing in this post.

#297 2012-12-11 15:15:23

Spyhawk

"LANG=C" is used to enforce English language for users that don't use English as locale (and that is not even generated on their computer), as pacaur doesn't fully support internationalization.
Seems this hack has some unwanted side effects sad

The only way to get rid of it is implementing full internationalization or simply drop all non English language. I'm seriously considering the latter, even though some people would be unhappy with this solution.

#298 2012-12-17 21:41:15

xeekei

Hello?

I wonder how I am supposed to use this thing. I try "pacaur -syu" and I get a nice list of whatever wants to be updated. But whatever I try after that just make the terminal windows flash with lots of lines of commands, and then just stops.

What command should I use to make all my AUR packages update at the same time. Because the only reason I use this is because I don't want to update everyone manually.

#299 2012-12-17 22:09:21

lagagnon
Website

xeekei wrote:

Hello?

I wonder how I am supposed to use this thing. I try "pacaur -syu" and I get a nice list of whatever wants to be updated.

The command should be "pacaur -Syu" - capital S, not small s. See "man pacaur" for the difference.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#300 2012-12-17 22:49:24

xeekei

lagagnon wrote:
xeekei wrote:

Hello?

I wonder how I am supposed to use this thing. I try "pacaur -syu" and I get a nice list of whatever wants to be updated.

The command should be "pacaur -Syu" - capital S, not small s. See "man pacaur" for the difference.

Okay. I'll try that the next time an AUR package gets updated. Thanks!

Board footer