You are not logged in.

#376 2013-05-30 09:25:48

donbex

Re: pacaur - an AUR helper that minimizes user interaction

Spyhawk> Thanks, I didn't really think to check the dependencies... *shame on me*
I brought up this issue already on the relevant package's page.

Last edited by donbex (2013-05-30 09:26:04)

#377 2013-05-31 04:03:30

DaveCode

Spyhawk wrote:

consequence of using makepkg...I never expected...pacaur assumes...correct.

If makepkg and pacaur assumptions diverge, then keep those baked into makepkg. Or, following your advice on fixing upstream, take issues there. Myself, I've tried and failed.

Spyhawk wrote:

I see your argument for consistency here (which makes sense).

Thanks.

Spyhawk wrote:

Just to be clear: I don't believe it is pacaur's job to fix what should be fixed upstream. If there is an issue with a PKGBUILD, the user should ask the maintainer to fix it.

I didn't say it was pacaur's job. Nor that it prohibits communicating with the maintainer. But to use the software one has to build it as-is. My sample case shows both tasks happening in parallel, successfully, with pacaur getting in the way.

It's the installer's job to notice what may be wrong in AUR PKGBUILDs and repair. I think you are too optimistic about the condition of AUR. Half of it is broken half the time and that has been the steady-state condition for years. So pacaur should let the admin shoot a foot if he wants. I am always hearing on Arch forums how this brand is about "control" and "knowing your tools" etc. etc. etc. Well, apply the principle.

DaveCode wrote:

Hey, another topic while I'm here....What's the official way to run pacaur -Syua --noconfirm --noedit from a nightly cron? Yes, we know it's not kosher, but nights are good times to build stuff.

The wiki has no info on the topic. I did try a systemd timer unit. It works to a point. There are uid issues. The systemd timer runs as root, or daemon or whatever, by the nature of systemd. So

su --group=users --login --command="pacaur -Syu --aur --noconfirm --noedit" usernamehere

actually goes and builds the package properly, as expected, but pacaur then fails installation at the last step with

sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

So there was a proper .xz package sitting in the cache but pacaur could not install it and cleaned everything away. Might pacaur only clean away build stuff (src, obj) and leave the finished package (.xz) behind? Or do you think adding --asroot to the pacaur call would be best?

Thanks.

EDIT

Well this works fine from a systemd timer service.

pacaur -Syu --aur --noconfirm --noedit --asroot

but executes with undefined $USER, so pacaur creates an unnamed /tmp folder,

drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    80 May 31 00:19 pacaurtmp-

which works fine anyhow. I just did a full build/install cycle that way and AUR build+install went swell. Still maybe it's best to use

export USER=root pacaur -Syu --aur --noconfirm --noedit --asroot

Last edited by DaveCode (2013-05-31 07:42:27)

#378 2013-05-31 09:38:14

Spyhawk

DaveCode wrote:

If makepkg and pacaur assumptions diverge, then keep those baked into makepkg. Or, following your advice on fixing upstream, take issues there. Myself, I've tried and failed.

Makepkg assumes a correct PKGBUILD to succeed, pacaur assumes a correct PKGBUILD to succeed. The only difference here is the AUR dependency support.
By "upstream", I was indeed referring to the PKGBUILD maintainer, not pacman/makepkg devs.

DaveCode wrote:

I didn't say it was pacaur's job. Nor that it prohibits communicating with the maintainer. But to use the software one has to build it as-is. My sample case shows both tasks happening in parallel, successfully, with pacaur getting in the way.

If there is a problem with a faulty PKGBUILD, fix it upstream (in the AUR) for everybody or locally (download+makepkg) for you only.

DaveCode wrote:

It's the installer's job to notice what may be wrong in AUR PKGBUILDs and repair. I think you are too optimistic about the condition of AUR. Half of it is broken half the time and that has been the steady-state condition for years. So pacaur should let the admin shoot a foot if he wants. I am always hearing on Arch forums how this brand is about "control" and "knowing your tools" etc. etc. etc. Well, apply the principle.

Irrelevant, since any error in a PKGBUILD should be fixed upstream (in the AUR) for everybody. If you want to fix it locally only for you, that's fine. Download the PKGBUILD, open your editor and then run makepkg.

Alternatively, send me a well written, well tested patch that works in all expected user cases without any noticeable downside for the user. I'll happily merge it with the current code.

DaveCode wrote:

The wiki has no info on the topic. I did try a systemd timer unit. .. Well this works fine from a systemd timer service.

Don't know, don't care. Pacaur has never been designed to be fully automated without any form of user control (tbh, I believe this is stupid). If you want to use your car as a submarine, that's fine, but don't expect the constructor to provide any detail on how to achieve that goal.

#379 2013-06-08 07:48:03

lorizean

Hi,

I've recently started using pacaur to make my life easier, but I have one question:
What commands does pacaur call to refresh the package list?

I want to have a cronjob running that periodically does a `pacaur -Sy` so I have an up-to-date package list and I was wondering which commands I would have to set to NOPASSWD in my sudoers file for this to work - I tried `pacman -Sy` but to no avail.

I could of course do a `sudo pacaur -Sy` but I'd rather configure it properly.
I also don't want to do a full NOPASSWD for all of pacman.

Last edited by lorizean (2013-06-08 08:12:49)

#380 2013-06-08 09:15:34

Spyhawk

lorizean> pacaur simly calls "pacman -Sy" to refresh the database. Note that doing "pacman -Sy" without doing a full upgrade afterward (-Su) isn't necessary a good idea. You might also have a look at the "checkupdates" script (installed with pacman) that doesn't modify the main database.

You can however try something like the following to achieve what you need:

yourusername host = (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/pacman -Sy

(the above untested)

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-06-08 09:16:10)

#381 2013-06-08 10:18:07

lorizean

Yeah, that's what i thought but I did that and it still asks me for my password when I call pacaur -Sy (it doesnt when i try a normal "sudo pacman -Sy", so my sudoers configuration should be correct).

I only do this to know if there are new updates available (I have a conky overlay that checks), I don't install packages before upgrading first so there shouldn't be any problems.

#382 2013-06-08 10:45:52

Spyhawk

I've tried the follwoing (since I'm the only user on my machine), which works without problem:

myusername ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/pacman -Sy

"pacaur -Sy" only calls "sudo pacman -Sy" to refresh the binary db, so if that doesn't work, you're on your own.

#383 2013-06-14 02:50:17

DaveCode

Confusion on intent arose from pacaur showing PKGBUILDs for editing. I gather that's just informational; OK.

Of course everyone wants improved AUR. You needn't repeat that maintainers should maintain, or admins admin. It's pedantic. I post failure logs to maintainers, and sometimes debug, doing my part. On yours, pacaur could auto-ship build failures to them. You're in position to do serious heavy lifting in AUR.

Yeah stupid here knows Arch-think on upgrade automation. He considers it beyond silly. Many OSes have auto-updates, and many apps likewise. End users may also click a button or menu (Mac OS X, Windows, *nixes) for system-wide updates. Paid usability teams in Apple and Microsoft do know some things. Or ask any full-time *nix sysadmin desk for an earful on commercial software and in-house automation scripts.

Pacman I run automated for months and it does fine. From experience I know scare-mongering is nonsense. Arch devs target other geeks for audience. I target end users and hide ugly admin goo. They are grateful and make my effort worthwhile. Asked questions crosswise to design, just give what info you can with relevant caveats, and be pleasant. I appreciate pacaur immensely and your recent clarifications too.

#384 2013-06-14 09:14:52

Spyhawk

Great. In a nutshell, you're not in pacaur's target audience. Most probably not in Arch target audience neither. As stated previously, pacaur is a car and you are asking for a submarine. And I don't care about your submarine.

You're welcome to fork pacaur and make it work like you wish. According to your comment in the AUR page, that's likely what you'll do. The only request I have is that you use another name if you intend to distribute it to other people. I don't want your modification to be associated with the 'original' pacaur (to avoid bug reports in the wrong place).

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-06-14 10:42:52)

#385 2013-06-24 10:02:20

willemw

'pacaur -u --devel' will always reinstall devel packages.

Would it be possible to skip the upgrade of a devel package, if the version in the vcs (pkgver() in PKGBUILD) is the same as the installed version?

Is this related to issue #165?

Last edited by willemw (2013-06-24 10:22:08)

#386 2013-06-24 10:05:33

the.ridikulus.rat

I am getting

keshav_padram@kpr-think ~ % pacaur -Su -a
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
comm: file 1 is not in sorted order
:: geteltorito is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: gogoc is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: libmysqlclient is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: mysql-clients is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: python2-graphy is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: python2-msrplib is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: python2-xcaplib is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: resolving dependencies...
:: looking for inter-conflicts...

Any idea why?

#387 2013-06-24 10:21:23

Spyhawk

willemw wrote:

Would it be possible to skip the upgrade of a devel package, if the version in the vcs (pkgver() in PKGBUILD) is the same as the installed version?

That's not possible, since the pkgver in the PKGBUILD does not reflect the current version, but only the version at the time of uploading in the AUR. However, what pacaur does (since 4.1.6) is to retrieve all vcs sources, update the version number with makekg and build only the packages that are out of date.

Edit: No, this is unrelated to issue #165.

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

I am getting
% pacaur -Su -a
Any idea why?

The "comm sorting order" shouldn't happen. This is related to locale, but I thought I fixed that issue in the past. Could you pastebin a debug output, so I can check what I missed here?

bash -x pacaur -Su -a

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-06-24 11:20:56)

#388 2013-06-24 10:29:06

the.ridikulus.rat

Spyhawk wrote:
willemw wrote:

That's not possible, since the pkgver in the PKGBUILD does not reflect the current version, but only the version at the time of uploading in the AUR. However, what pacaur does (since 4.1.6) is to retrieve all vcs sources, update the version number with makekg and build only the packages that are out of date.

the.ridikulus.rat wrote:

I am getting
% pacaur -Su -a
Any idea why?

This is related to locale, but I thought I fixed that issue in the past. Could you pastebin a debug output, so I can check what I missed here?

bash -x pacaur -Su -a

http://pastie.org/8074586

#389 2013-06-24 10:50:41

Spyhawk

the.ridikulus.rat> Could you install pacaur-git and try again? The only "skipped" packages should be libmysqlclient and mysql-clients, that have been replaced by mariadb in Arch.

#390 2013-06-28 11:43:07

the.ridikulus.rat

Spyhawk wrote:

the.ridikulus.rat> Could you install pacaur-git and try again? The only "skipped" packages should be libmysqlclient and mysql-clients, that have been replaced by mariadb in Arch.

pacaur-git does not exhibit this behaviour. Thanks. Can you make a stable release of the current git?

BTW I had installed mariadb in my system but forgot about these 2 packages.

EDIT: And sorry for the late reply. I had been a bit busy.

Last edited by the.ridikulus.rat (2013-06-28 11:45:16)

#391 2013-06-28 14:19:03

Spyhawk

Thanks for the confirmation. Will release a new stable version this week end, with (hopefully) a few additional fixes.

#392 2013-06-30 17:32:16

sapristi

Hello, I would like to use pacaur, but is sudo necessary ?
I can't really use it, since there is no password for my user....

#393 2013-06-30 17:40:22

Spyhawk

Pacaur is designed to work with sudo. It is possible to configure sudo not to ask any password, but I don't know if it is possible to use it without any account password at all. You're on your own here.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-06-30 17:44:30)

#394 2013-07-19 19:26:14

CarbonChauvinist
Website

Spyhawk wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation. Will release a new stable version this week end, with (hopefully) a few additional fixes.

I'm not sure if what I have is similar, seems like it is, all of a sudden now whenever I run an update with pacaur -Syu I get the following:

┌(ghost@Arch_x64_ssd)─(0)─(03:19 PM Fri Jul 19)
└─(~/pacaur)─(5 files, 1:88Kb)─> pacaur -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 catalyst is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do
:: fontconfig-infinality-ultimate is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: ttf-google-webfonts is not present in AUR -- skipping
cat: /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-3.10-ARCH/version: No such file or directory
:: no results found for linux
:: no results found for linux-headers

And if for instance I want to reinstall something from the AUR I'm unable to do so because it always throws out message that "linux and linux-headers could not be found". It's almost like it's looking for the linux and linux-header packages in the AUR instead of the core repo.

┌(ghost@Arch_x64_ssd)─(1)─(03:23 PM Fri Jul 19)
└─(~/pacaur)─(5 files, 1:88Kb)─> pacaur -Ss broadcom-wl
aur/broadcom-wl 5.100.82.112-13 (752) [installed]
    Broadcom 802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver
aur/broadcom-wl-bfs 5.100.82.112-11 (0)
aur/broadcom-wl-ck 5.100.82.112-48 (11)
     802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver for linux-ck.
aur/broadcom-wl-dkms 6.30.223.30-1 (20)
    Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver BCM43142.
aur/broadcom-wl-lts 5.100.82.112-3 (12)
    Broadcom 802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver for linux-lts
aur/broadcom-wl-mainline 5.100.82.112-1 (0)
    Broadcom 802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver (linux-mainline)
aur/broadcom-wl-pae 5.100.82.112-12 (0)
aur/broadcom-wl-pf-core2 5.100.82.112-18 (1)
     802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver for linux-pf.
aur/broadcom-wl-rt 5.100.82.112-3 (1)
    Broadcom 802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver (for linux-rt kernel).
aur/dkms-broadcom-wl 5.100.82.112-13 (48)
    DKMS-controlled Broadcom 802.11abgn hybrid Linux networking device driver
aur/kernel-netbook 3.9.6-1 (148)
    Static kernel for netbooks with Intel Atom N270/N280/N450/N550 such as eeepc with the add-on of external firmware (broadcom-wl) - Only Intel GPU - Give more power to your netbook!

┌(ghost@Arch_x64_ssd)─(0)─(03:23 PM Fri Jul 19)
└─(~/pacaur)─(5 files, 1:88Kb)─> pacaur -Sa broadcom-wl
cat: /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-3.10-ARCH/version: No such file or directory
:: no results found for linux
:: no results found for linux-headers

I've gone ahead and run the debug output in case you need. Please let me know if there's just something I may have overlooked or screwed up on my end as I do really enjoy using pacaur.

http://sprunge.us/jCGB

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

#395 2013-07-20 14:25:01

Spyhawk

CarbonChauvinist> This package requires linux>=3.10 and linux-headers>=3.10, which are currently only available in [testing]. Also, the cat error seems to be an issue with the PKGBUILD requirement, thus unrelated to pacaur.

(yeah, I agree that better error output would be welcome, but that's not as easy to implement as it seems).

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-07-20 14:28:07)

#396 2013-07-20 17:48:55

CarbonChauvinist
Website

Spyhawk wrote:

CarbonChauvinist> This package requires linux>=3.10 and linux-headers>=3.10, which are currently only available in [testing]. Also, the cat error seems to be an issue with the PKGBUILD requirement, thus unrelated to pacaur.

(yeah, I agree that better error output would be welcome, but that's not as easy to implement as it seems).

Thanks for the response that was politely worded so as to not make me feel like a dumbass for the error(s) on my part. Also thanks for integrating the "repo/package" ability, didn't get  a chance to say thanks for that yet. Cheers.

Last edited by CarbonChauvinist (2013-07-20 17:52:02)

"the wind-blown way, wanna win? don't play"

#397 2013-08-10 19:52:23

comeandtakeit

First off, thanks for such a great tool.  I'm having some issues installing a few "packages" from the AUR, specifically freetype2-infinality (a patched version of freetype2 meant as a replacement) and wine-silverlight.

Here's what I get when I try to install freetype2-infinality:

$ pacaur -S freetype2-infinality
:: Package(s) freetype2-infinality not found in repositories, trying AUR...
:: freetype2-infinality and freetype2 are in conflict. Remove freetype2? [y/N] y
:: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: harfbuzz
imlib2
libxfont
steam
wine
xorg-mkfontscale: requires freetype2

Here's the debug output: http://pastebin.com/gX9QTrXs

I get the same sort of errrors when trying to upgrade wine-silverlight.  I tried installing freetype2-infinality manually and it works fine, replacing freetype2.

Both of these PKGBUILDs make use of the "provides" variable.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#398 2013-08-10 21:19:53

Spyhawk

I recently fixed this issue in the devel branch, but I haven't yet pushed it in the stable branch. The fix needs a bit more testing, and I will release it as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can use pacaur-git instead.

Edit: Just released new version 4.1.15.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2013-08-10 22:20:38)

#399 2013-10-23 11:10:03

DaveCode

Arch and pacaur work fine for people like me. Let's stop the excommunication please.

Re custom pacaur tweaks, redistribution wasn't my idea. As your ideal "advanced user" I meant that I could use git to merge your ongoing work with special sauce for personal use or local deployment. Git is made for it.

So far stock pacaur works great under automated root execution - total heresy - many months running. Congrats.

A bug did just splat on me: stock pacuar 4.1.19-1 builds a package but barfs "duplicate target" as shown. Completely up-to-date system otherwise.

AUR Packages  (1):

Name                Old Version  New Version

aur/python-virtkey  0.63.0-1     0.63.0-2                  

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y

(...etc. thru build...)

==> Finished making: python-virtkey 0.63.0-2 (Wed Oct 23 03:02:30 MST 2013)
==> Installing python-virtkey package group with pacman -U...
error: '/tmp/XDG_CACHE_HOME_root/pacaurtmp-root/python-virtkey/
              python2-virtkey-0.63.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz': duplicate target
loading packages...
==> WARNING: Failed to install built package(s).

#400 2013-10-23 12:51:33

drcouzelis
Website

DaveCode wrote:

Arch and pacaur work fine for people like me. Let's stop the excommunication please.

What?

I feel like I missed something. sad

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-10-23 12:51:44)

Board footer