You are not logged in.

#26 2011-09-09 18:30:06

jlacroix

Re: KDE 4.7 Somewhat Broken

I'm not noticing any differences so far in 4.7.1, other than my CPU getting VERY hot. Normally my CPU idles around 98F and may spike to 115F under load. But lately it's been nearing 160F. Whenever it gets that hot, nepomuk is taking up 100% of any one of my two cores, ALL the time. Killing that process causes my CPU to return to a normal temperature. Anyone else having this issue?

#27 2011-09-09 19:01:27

Lothium

No, but I had this a few times in the past in a few other KDE version. I deactivated strigi and the whole indexing thing and installed recoll with recoll-runner, which has nearly the same abilities like nepomuk/strigi with the difference, that recoll is stable, use less ressources and works better.

Best regards!

#28 2011-09-09 19:48:40

jlacroix

Lothium wrote:

No, but I had this a few times in the past in a few other KDE version. I deactivated strigi and the whole indexing thing and installed recoll with recoll-runner, which has nearly the same abilities like nepomuk/strigi with the difference, that recoll is stable, use less ressources and works better.

Best regards!

If this is just standard file indexing, I don't even need it. The files on my hard drive are so organized I'd be shocked if I could ever forget where something was. I tried to disable this, but KDE will often complain that it is off, and every now and then display a message that it couldn't enable it. Is there a way around this?

It's a bit more confusing to me, because in System Settings it says that the file indexer service is virtuoso_t, which doesn't take that much CPU. It's the nepomuk services in the process list that heat up my processor, so I'm not sure if this is really due to indexing or not.

#29 2011-09-09 20:37:56

Mad Fish

Just read the topic of this thread and thought that "KDE is somewhat broken" statement is true for any version of KDE we've seen yet. smile

#30 2011-09-09 22:50:23

Loose_Control

jlacroix wrote:
Lothium wrote:

Best regards!

If this is just standard file indexing, I don't even need it. The files on my hard drive are so organized I'd be shocked if I could ever forget where something was. I tried to disable this, but KDE will often complain that it is off, and every now and then display a message that it couldn't enable it. Is there a way around this?

It's a bit more confusing to me, because in System Settings it says that the file indexer service is virtuoso_t, which doesn't take that much CPU. It's the nepomuk services in the process list that heat up my processor, so I'm not sure if this is really due to indexing or not.

Just leave Nepomuk enabled and disable strigi that should help if you dont want to use the file indexing

if you want to use strigi deleting ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/ could help to get rid of the problem
often this problem is caused by the database creating a new one should help
I am using Strigi/Nepomuk without problems

Last edited by Loose_Control (2011-09-09 22:53:24)

#31 2011-09-10 00:43:54

jlacroix

Loose_Control wrote:
jlacroix wrote:
Lothium wrote:

Best regards!

Just leave Nepomuk enabled and disable strigi that should help if you dont want to use the file indexing

if you want to use strigi deleting ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/ could help to get rid of the problem
often this problem is caused by the database creating a new one should help
I am using Strigi/Nepomuk without problems

Thank you, that was very helpful. I think I will leave strigi disabled, I don't think I've ever had a use for indexing, because I'm obsessive-compulsive with how I save files and making sure the sorting is perfect.

Board footer