You are not logged in.

#26 2011-11-02 09:02:00

jf/

Re: [SOLVED] How can i paste text from vim to another application?

Mr.Elendig wrote:

My suggestion: Install the gvim package and use "* and "+ (eg "*p to paste into vim)
See :h quotestar for more info.

Recompiling the vim package to add +X11 stuff is imo silly compared to just using the gvim package. (as said, it does provide a 'vim' binary with all the nice stuff included)

on the reverse side, using gvim instead of vim is heavier, and seems like overbloat. J dont want gvim. I just want vim... but with X support. And gvim pulls in a 'ruby' dependency as well.

If the idea for disabling X in 'vim' is to make it light, then why not have a 'vim-x' - or separate the 2 preferences into 2 different packages? One called 'vim' (or 'vim-x') with X support, and another called 'vim-console'?

#27 2011-11-02 09:34:47

lolilolicon

jf/ wrote:

on the reverse side, using gvim instead of vim is heavier, and seems like overbloat. J dont want gvim. I just want vim... but with X support. And gvim pulls in a 'ruby' dependency as well.

If the idea for disabling X in 'vim' is to make it light, then why not have a 'vim-x' - or separate the 2 preferences into 2 different packages? One called 'vim' (or 'vim-x') with X support, and another called 'vim-console'?

Nah, please don't propose to bloat our repositories. kthxbye.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#28 2011-11-02 09:41:46

jf/

lolilolicon wrote:
jf/ wrote:

oh, cool. Thanks for bringing a great tone to the conversation!

#29 2011-11-02 09:53:37

lolilolicon

jf/ wrote:
lolilolicon wrote:
jf/ wrote:

oh, cool. Thanks for bringing a great tone to the conversation!

Was that sarcasm? Feels right either way big_smile

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#30 2011-11-02 12:46:23

karol
Archivist

About 2-3 years ago Arch went through some vim-tuning and I think the current situation is the best we can hope for.

#31 2011-11-02 15:04:15

jf/

karol wrote:

About 2-3 years ago Arch went through some vim-tuning and I think the current situation is the best we can hope for.

ok. Thanks for explaining. I'll compile my own if necessary - although the problem for me right now is that even with gvim, my pasting isnt working. To, or from vim. But for that, pls see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129520

#32 2011-11-02 15:05:52

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

jf/ wrote:

1. The ruby support takes next to no extra ram

2. gvim provides a vim binary (in fact, gvim is just a symlink to the vim binary, if it spawns the gui or not depends on what name it was executed as), which is the good old terminal version.

3. Size difference between vim and gvim packages is really small. (2364.00 KiB vs 2812.00 KiB) (related to #2)

4. Your idea is basicly what arch already have, just named 'gvim' and 'vim' instead of 'vim-x' and 'vim-console'  Only difference from your idea being that gvim is also compiled with the gtk gui..

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-11-02 15:08:30)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#33 2011-11-02 15:14:04

jf/

Mr.Elendig wrote:
jf/ wrote:

1. The ruby support takes next to no extra ram

2. gvim provides a vim binary (in fact, gvim is just a symlink to the vim binary, if it spawns the gui or not depends on what name it was executed as), which is the good old terminal version.

3. Size difference between vim and gvim packages is really small. (2364.00 KiB vs 2812.00 KiB) (related to #2)

4. Your idea is basicly what arch already have, just named 'gvim' and 'vim' instead of 'vim-x' and 'vim-console'  Only difference from your idea being that gvim is also compiled with the gtk gui..

1. I would still prefer not to pull in that package. But yes, i note your point. And i know that not everything can be perfect.
2. got it.
3. uhuh.
4. You could see it like that, yes... Thanks for explaining.

#34 2011-11-02 17:50:45

TheImmortalPhoenix

install cvim from the aur wink it has xclip support enabled

#35 2011-11-02 18:09:24

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

ABSROOT="." abs extra/vim
cd extra/vim
$EDITOR PKGBUILD  #change name of vim to vim-hellokitties  enable/disable any features you want
makepkg -si --pkg vim-hellokitties
  \
   \   \_\_    _/_/
    \      \__/
           (oo)\_______
           (__)\       )\/\
               ||----w |
               ||     ||   -- unknown arch dev

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#36 2011-11-02 22:14:59

TheImmortalPhoenix

great words Mr.Elending! smile

#37 2011-11-02 22:25:42

karol
Archivist

[herecura-stable] repo has many vim packages:

herecura-stable vim-cli 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-gvim-gtk 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-gvim-motif 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-gvim-qt 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-gvim-x11 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-rt 7.3.353-1
herecura-stable vim-tiny 7.3.353-1

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:BlackEagle
PKGBUILDs: https://github.com/BlackIkeEagle/herecura

#38 2011-11-03 01:45:18

hotsauce

My question is related to the OP's question, so this seems like the right thread to post it.

I do a lot of interactive data analysis in R and python, and my ideal workflow would be to work in a terminal with a horizontal split via gnu screen. On one side I would have a text file open with vim to edit the data analysis script, and on the other side I would have a session of R or ipython. Then, I would highlight stuff in visual mode, and type (no mouse!) a key combination to send whatever I have highlighted (in visual mode) or yanked or copied in my script file directly to R or ipython in the other windows.

Does anyone know an easy way to get this done?

Thanks!

#39 2011-11-03 02:01:22

thisoldman

@hotsauce,

I haven't tried either of these possible solutions:

Tell us how it goes.

#40 2011-11-03 05:42:35

jf/

hotsauce wrote:

My question is related to the OP's question, so this seems like the right thread to post it.

I do a lot of interactive data analysis in R and python, and my ideal workflow would be to work in a terminal with a horizontal split via gnu screen. On one side I would have a text file open with vim to edit the data analysis script, and on the other side I would have a session of R or ipython. Then, I would highlight stuff in visual mode, and type (no mouse!) a key combination to send whatever I have highlighted (in visual mode) or yanked or copied in my script file directly to R or ipython in the other windows.

Does anyone know an easy way to get this done?

Thanks!

u could use screen's copy-pasting support, since we're talking about copy-pasting within screen itself. You are, after all, talking about not using the mouse.

#41 2011-11-05 13:59:20

hotsauce

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up finding a really simple vim plugin that did exactly what I needed: select stuff in visual mode and send it to another screen session automatically.

slime for screen: https://github.com/jpalardy/vim-slime/t … ter/plugin
tslime for tmux: https://github.com/xaviershay/tslime.vim

ht to romainl at stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7906 … 50#7908050

Last edited by hotsauce (2011-11-05 13:59:31)

#42 2021-01-06 13:00:48

baturvit

thisoldman wrote:

To copy from an xterm vim, I hold down Shift while I highlight text with the mouse.  This stops vim from entering Visual mode.  Whatever I highlight becomes the primary selection.

To paste a primary selection in xterm vim, I first make sure vim is in 'Insert' mode.  Shift+Insert will then paste the primary selection at the cursor.

My friend, thank you!!! for 2 years I was searching for this

#43 2021-01-06 13:26:18

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Please do not necrobump.

Closing this ancient thread.

Board footer