You are not logged in.

#76 2011-09-08 16:59:40

Unia
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2010-03-30
Posts: 2,474
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Take care man!


If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Offline

#77 2011-09-08 17:06:03

Lothium
Member
Registered: 2009-10-10
Posts: 192

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Good luck for you!

Offline

#78 2011-09-08 18:48:18

ANOKNUSA
Member
Registered: 2010-10-22
Posts: 2,141

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Wow, hope things work out for ya; looks like you might have bigger things to deal with than coding for a while.

Offline

#79 2011-09-08 22:56:50

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Could you please tell me under which license all this projects are developed?

Offline

#80 2011-09-08 23:20:53

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

ying wrote:

Could you please tell me under which license all this projects are developed?

Any GPL compatible licenses BSD, MIT, Apache, Public Domain.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-lis … leLicenses

It's your choice.

And my personal political statement. Any opens source licenses
that preaches freedom with a list of conditions isn't free at all.

Hence there is no licenses but if you choose to have a license
then it must be a GPL compatible licenses.

smile

Last edited by zester (2011-09-08 23:35:21)

Offline

#81 2011-09-08 23:40:22

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

K.

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

Could you please then add license files for GPLv3 in our forked manjaro tools and add us as authors please. You will find informations  about us on our website. I would be thankful, if you could do that at least for us.

THX

Last edited by ying (2011-09-08 23:42:34)

Offline

#82 2011-09-09 00:10:15

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

ying wrote:

K.

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

Could you please then add license files for GPLv3 in our forked manjaro tools and add us as authors please. You will find informations  about us on our website. I would be thankful, if you could do that at least for us.

THX

I would have if you didn't pull your public repos but sense you did they stay as they are. Legaly binding and unchanged from when I forked them.
That is until I start to work on them. And if you don't like being forked then you shouldn't be on github. Sorry

Last edited by zester (2011-09-09 00:12:40)

Offline

#83 2011-09-09 00:36:15

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

We are changing hosts. That is why the github repos are offline. But if you don't see any way to change it, we will upload them again. Tomorrow they will be online.

Offline

#84 2011-09-09 00:44:20

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

ying wrote:

We are changing hosts. That is why the github repos are offline. But if you don't see any way to change it, we will upload them again. Tomorrow they will be online.

When that happens I will be more than happy to honor your request.

Last edited by zester (2011-09-09 00:44:33)

Offline

#85 2011-09-09 01:06:12

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Thank you. I will contact you. wink

Offline

#86 2011-09-09 20:52:58

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

K. The git repos are online with the same source you have: https://github.com/ManjaroLinux
Please fork.
wink

Last edited by ying (2011-09-09 20:53:23)

Offline

#87 2011-09-09 21:23:55

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

This post is titled "I wish I had a face palm smilie!"

Sooo I am testing  ldm (lightweight device mounter) seeing if it or it's code can
help out with volume auto-mounting on the desktop. I don't have an opinion of
it at this point. But thats not the point of this post so moving on.

Anyways, the idea was to have ldm automount devices, I would then monitor
the /mnt dir for changes. When a change to the dir was detected a signal
would trigger QSystemStorageInfo(from QtMobility) blah blah blah

You get the point detect the mount, iterate over the logical volumes, add or remove
an icon on the desktop that points to the mounted volume.

BUT it didn't work!!!! Grrr

Sooo I did some digging and it appears that QtMobility uses HAL for
the QSystemStorageInfo class. ughhh that's not good.

HAL is deprecated and isn't being actively worked on or supported.

Out of curiosity I decided to look at another Qt project that promised hardware detection
via libpci. Now this isn't what we need but I was curious about it and considered extending it
to support detecting all hardware that is if the project was any good.

But I was left even more disappointed than with the QSystemStorageInfo class.

Guys a word of advice

process.start("lspci -n"); 

   A. Its not portable
   B. It's not multilingual friendly
   C. It's not professional

The second issue with the "hardware detection library" that I also noticed was......

    process.start("uname -m");

ummm noooooo thats not right....


This is how you would do it.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/utsname.h>

int main()
{
  struct utsname uname_pointer;

  uname(&uname_pointer);

  printf("System name - %s \n", uname_pointer.sysname);
  printf("Nodename    - %s \n", uname_pointer.nodename);
  printf("Release     - %s \n", uname_pointer.release);
  printf("Version     - %s \n", uname_pointer.version);
  printf("Machine     - %s \n", uname_pointer.machine);

  return 0;
}

Here is the output on my system

System name - Linux
Nodename    - chipara
Release     - 3.0-ARCH
Version     - #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 30 08:53:25 CEST 2011
Machine     - x86_64

But not to worry using libudev, libpci, libusb, libblkid is really easy, I was just being lazy and hoping
someone had done the work for me wink Turned out just doing the work my self was a lot easyer.

Offline

#88 2011-09-10 01:33:47

Wittfella
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2008-05-27
Posts: 462

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

I just monitor the mtab file with a QFileSystemWatcher to catch things being mounted/unmounted, works decently enough.

Offline

#89 2011-09-10 02:33:38

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Wittfella wrote:

I just monitor the mtab file with a QFileSystemWatcher to catch things being mounted/unmounted, works decently enough.

Here is an example I picked up in regards to the mtab file seeing if I can make it work
for my situation.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mntent.h>

int main() {
    FILE* fstab = setmntent("/etc/mtab", "r");
    struct mntent *e;
    const char *devname = NULL;
    while ((e = getmntent(fstab))) {
        if (strcmp("/", e->mnt_dir) == 0) {
            devname = e->mnt_fsname;
            break;
        }
    }
    printf("root devname is %s\n", devname);
    endmntent(fstab);
    return 0;
}

Offline

#90 2011-09-10 09:55:06

ying
Member
From: Austria
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 110

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

@zester: The code you have is old. We have entirely rewritten mhwd and mldm. Mhwd uses the libpci now and some other libraries. The whole design of the lib also changed,.... Manjaro-Settings has got also improved. You can get the code, when we release the new version. But one is for sure: You current mhwd code is useless for you.

Last edited by ying (2011-09-10 09:56:47)

Offline

#91 2011-09-10 16:00:54

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Back in my home now boy was I lucky!!!!!!

My street wasn't touched by the flood. But if you drive 5 streets down all of those houses are under 30feet of water.

Worst natural disaster in my states history. Damage wise. It's like 10 Hurricane Katrina's.

There are heavily populated areas protected by flood gates, and there starting to break apart. But the good thing is the us military is evacuating those areas as we speak.

Only 3 human lives were lost.  Those were older people that refused to evacuate there homes. God rest there souls.

There has been no looting and crime well there hasn't been any everyone is behaving there selfs. That amazing.

I did get a chance to help save a few animals smile 2 Cats, A Kitten and a Cow lol I think she wanted to go swimming

There have been reporters from different states, like New York. Who have been visiting the different evacuation shelters. There response is that they can not believe
how community orientated we are here. Everyone treats each other like family.  Everyone is doing there part.

Fixed a bunch of water logged laptops.

Passed out some Arch cds, and showed a few techies what you can do with Qt.

You can see some pics here.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Pa+flood … 66&bih=678

Last edited by zester (2011-09-10 16:02:42)

Offline

#92 2011-09-11 00:49:17

dodosoft
Member
Registered: 2011-09-11
Posts: 9

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Hi,

I see that you're interested in 3D and that you've worked with many open source 3D engines.

Have you ever considered BlendELF?
Is a one-developer project (not actively mantained by now) but despite that, it has many great features and has one of the best graphic quality that I've evere seen in an open source 3D engine.

Cheers

Offline

#93 2011-09-11 03:59:11

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

dodosoft wrote:

Hi,

I see that you're interested in 3D and that you've worked with many open source 3D engines.

Have you ever considered BlendELF?
Is a one-developer project (not actively mantained by now) but despite that, it has many great features and has one of the best graphic quality that I've evere seen in an open source 3D engine.

Cheers

smile  http://blendelf.com/forums/blendelf/vie … ?f=3&t=204  You can find work that I have done on the Blender Gamekit forums also.

Last edited by zester (2011-09-11 04:07:35)

Offline

#94 2011-09-11 10:44:33

dodosoft
Member
Registered: 2011-09-11
Posts: 9

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

zester wrote:

smile  http://blendelf.com/forums/blendelf/vie … ?f=3&t=204  You can find work that I have done on the Blender Gamekit forums also.

Sorry I missed that! lol
You even wanted to start a project fork...

BTW your Quantum Project is very promising, I can't wait to start hacking on it.

Keep it up!

Offline

#95 2011-09-11 18:42:00

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

dodosoft wrote:
zester wrote:

smile  http://blendelf.com/forums/blendelf/vie … ?f=3&t=204  You can find work that I have done on the Blender Gamekit forums also.

Sorry I missed that! lol
You even wanted to start a project fork...

BTW your Quantum Project is very promising, I can't wait to start hacking on it.

Keep it up!

The BlendElf code is still there, and I am sure coding up a QWidget for it wouldn't be to difficulty. Situation would be much improved with
more C++ programmers.

I could jump on the horn(linuxtoday/lxer) and use my KDE editor privileges to bring in more coders. But I would like to hold off on that until
more progress has been made. I might go ransake other distros forums looking for Qt programmers. Maybe starting a Qt Desktop Environment thread
here on the Arch Forums, would get more attention.

Right now I am knee deep in QtXml hell wink

Last edited by zester (2011-09-11 18:48:32)

Offline

#96 2011-09-13 07:05:44

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

It's official QtXml is....... How can I put this with out getting in trouble by mods for bad language. I know its IRRITATING as HELLLLL. K breath deeply...

You would think that iterating over the following.....

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<mime-info xmlns='http://zester.github.com/Chipara/shared-mime-info'>

	<!-- Html File -->
	<mime-type value="text/html">
	<summery>Html Document</summery>
    	<description>HyperText Markup Language Document</description>
	<icon value="text-html"/>
    	<pattern value="html"/>
	<application value=""/>
	</mime-type>

	<!-- Text File -->
	<mime-type value="text/plain">
	<summery>Text Document</summery>
    	<description>Plain Text Document</description>
	<icon value="text-x-generic"/>
    	<pattern value="txt"/>
	<application value=""/>
	</mime-type>

</mime-info>

 

would be strait forward right, well its not.. At-least not with QDom. It is more than likely just me, QDom doesn't like me AT ALL.

So whats the issue you might be wondering?
Well I can iterate over every section I even get correct results for the parent elements and the children of the first parent element but after that
forget about it.

Good thing is I have a few potential interested Qt Developers, but I am not counting on that until I see some consistent work done on there part.
if only javascript programmers translated into c++ programmers, I would be set.  I get about 60+ emails a day from javascript programmers wanting
to help with the project with aspirations of a nextgen hybrid Qt, C++, Javascript Html5 WebOS. And I have to shatter there dreams with my Hydra example.
Been there done that might be feasible in 5 years but QtWebkit defiantly isn't ready.

Hydra
1433wa9.png

Last edited by zester (2011-09-13 07:08:52)

Offline

#97 2011-09-13 19:21:38

dimitar
Member
Registered: 2011-01-27
Posts: 59

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

zester wrote:

So whats the issue you might be wondering?
Well I can iterate over every section I even get correct results for the parent elements and the children of the first parent element but after that
forget about it.

Maybe, this is what you're looking for:

#include <QtXml>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    QDomDocument doc("mydoc");
    QFile file("/home/user/Development/oss/qtxml/doc.xml");
    if(!file.open(QFile::ReadOnly | QFile::Text)) return 1;
    if(!doc.setContent(&file)) {
        file.close();
        return 1;
    }
    file.close();

    QDomElement docElem = doc.documentElement();
    QDomNode n = docElem.firstChild();
    while(!n.isNull()) {
        QDomElement mimetype = n.toElement();
        if(!mimetype.isNull()) {

            QString summery = mimetype.firstChildElement("summery").text();
            std::cout << "summery: " << qPrintable(summery) << std::endl;

            QString description = mimetype.firstChildElement("description").text();
            std::cout << "description: " << qPrintable(description) << std::endl;

            QString icon = mimetype.firstChildElement("icon").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "icon: " << qPrintable(icon) << std::endl;

            QString pattern = mimetype.firstChildElement("pattern").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "pattern: " << qPrintable(pattern) << std::endl;

            QString application = mimetype.firstChildElement("application").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "application: " << qPrintable(application) << std::endl;

            std::cout << std::endl;
        }
        n = n.nextSibling();
    }

    return 0;
}

Btw, good work with the Quantum project - who knows, maybe some day I'll ditch KDE (using it almost 10 years now wink ).

Offline

#98 2011-09-13 19:31:19

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

dimitar wrote:
zester wrote:

So whats the issue you might be wondering?
Well I can iterate over every section I even get correct results for the parent elements and the children of the first parent element but after that
forget about it.

Maybe, this is what you're looking for:

#include <QtXml>
#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    QDomDocument doc("mydoc");
    QFile file("/home/user/Development/oss/qtxml/doc.xml");
    if(!file.open(QFile::ReadOnly | QFile::Text)) return 1;
    if(!doc.setContent(&file)) {
        file.close();
        return 1;
    }
    file.close();

    QDomElement docElem = doc.documentElement();
    QDomNode n = docElem.firstChild();
    while(!n.isNull()) {
        QDomElement mimetype = n.toElement();
        if(!mimetype.isNull()) {

            QString summery = mimetype.firstChildElement("summery").text();
            std::cout << "summery: " << qPrintable(summery) << std::endl;

            QString description = mimetype.firstChildElement("description").text();
            std::cout << "description: " << qPrintable(description) << std::endl;

            QString icon = mimetype.firstChildElement("icon").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "icon: " << qPrintable(icon) << std::endl;

            QString pattern = mimetype.firstChildElement("pattern").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "pattern: " << qPrintable(pattern) << std::endl;

            QString application = mimetype.firstChildElement("application").attribute("value");
            std::cout << "application: " << qPrintable(application) << std::endl;

            std::cout << std::endl;
        }
        n = n.nextSibling();
    }

    return 0;
}

Btw, good work with the Quantum project - who knows, maybe some day I'll ditch KDE (using it almost 10 years now wink ).



(Face Palm) dimitar thank you soooooo much. I will praise your name threw out every peice of code that uses QtXml about how awsome you are.
oddly enough the code I had wasn't much different than yours. I see where I was messing up. Ill add you to the contributors list. smile

Everyone here who even remotely cares about this project should be giving dimitar props.

Offline

#99 2011-09-13 19:50:35

stealthy
Member
Registered: 2011-05-02
Posts: 67

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Hey zester I'm gonna work on mate-desktop-environment, sorry.


clipodder-git A small simple cron-friendly podcast downloader, with support for arbitrary user defined media types (pdf, html, etc...)

Offline

#100 2011-09-13 20:12:44

zester
Member
From: Wilkes Barre Pa
Registered: 2011-08-13
Posts: 156
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

stealthy wrote:

Hey zester I'm gonna work on mate-desktop-environment, sorry.

What an odd comment to make, I wasn't aware that you were even working on this project.
Anyways good luck to you. smile

Last edited by zester (2011-09-13 20:14:03)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB