You are not logged in.

#226 2012-08-31 10:22:06

knopwob
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

punkeroso wrote:

Is there a way to have, for instance, the summary style in bold?
We could have some tag to put in the format line, for example "<b>%s</b> %b"

No, currently not. But it might get added in the future.

@everyone:
I've implemented the separator for notifications. Here are the relevant options:

[separator]

#enable drawing of separator line
    enable = no

#width of separator line in relation to window width
    width = 0.8
    #height of separator line in relation to line height
    height = 0.3

# color can either be "foreground" to use the foreground color or
    # "auto" to generate a fitting color depending on the background color
    color = auto

And on a different note: if there are notifications you don't want to get displayed at all, you can create a rule which sets the format to "" (empty string) .

#227 2012-09-07 14:47:53

Unia
Website

Hey Knopwob,

I just updated dunst-git and I can now use the separator. It looks really good, but there's one "complaind":

The spacing between the text and the separator is a bit too much for my taste. I have set Dunst to use the same font as I have in DWM, so the notification nicely overrides the bar. When I get two notifications, however, the first notification gets 'stretched' because of the spacing between the text and the separator and suddenly is higher than my statusbar.

Also, there's a slightly unclear explanation in the config.def.h:

int line_height = 0;            /* a line height < font height will be raised to font height */

Shouldn't that be like "If line height < font height, it will be raised to font height".

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#228 2012-09-07 15:06:08

knopwob
Website

Unia wrote:

The spacing between the text and the separator is a bit too much for my taste. I have set Dunst to use the same font as I have in DWM, so the notification nicely overrides the bar. When I get two notifications, however, the first notification gets 'stretched' because of the spacing between the text and the separator and suddenly is higher than my statusbar.

The separator (foreground + background) has the same height as a line with text. Within the configs you can only change the dimensions of the foreground line, not the background.
Do you want the height of the background (and with that the height of the whole line) to be configurable as well?

Unia wrote:

Also, there's a slightly unclear explanation in the config.def.h:

int line_height = 0;            /* a line height < font height will be raised to font height */

Shouldn't that be like "If line height < font height, it will be raised to font height".

Yes, your version sounds clearer. I'll change that. Thank you

#229 2012-09-07 15:10:33

Unia
Website

knopwob wrote:

Do you want the height of the background (and with that the height of the whole line) to be configurable as well?

Yes please. Preferable, I'd like it if I could set a separator 1px under the current "end" of the notification.

knopwob wrote:

Yes, your version sounds clearer. I'll change that. Thank you

Great, finally I contributed some big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#230 2012-09-09 06:06:40

Reded

Hi, I've been using Dunst for a bit, it's wayy cleaner-looking than having lots of different notifications (Pidgin and Skype for example have their own little bubble-types) I like big_smile

I've got a small gripe, and that's when I make dunst appear on my 2nd monitor (With mouse/keyboard follow, or simply telling it to appear on it instead of the first one) It doesn't appear.

I think this is because my right monitor is slightly lower physically (And therefore set slightly lower in Xorg settings) And so Dunst appears a couple of inches 'above' my screen (Level with the left monitor's top edge). Is this something that can be worked around in Dunst, or something I'm going to have to fix in my own display settings?

EDIT:

Weirdly this issue disappears with the -git version, but not the normal version!

I updated to -git after reading about the seperator update, so I guess this is a none-issue tongue

Last edited by Reded (2012-09-09 06:13:56)

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#231 2012-09-09 06:21:30

knopwob
Website

Reded wrote:

Hi, I've been using Dunst for a bit, it's wayy cleaner-looking than having lots of different notifications (Pidgin and Skype for example have their own little bubble-types) I like big_smile

I've got a small gripe, and that's when I make dunst appear on my 2nd monitor (With mouse/keyboard follow, or simply telling it to appear on it instead of the first one) It doesn't appear.

I think this is because my right monitor is slightly lower physically (And therefore set slightly lower in Xorg settings) And so Dunst appears a couple of inches 'above' my screen (Level with the left monitor's top edge). Is this something that can be worked around in Dunst, or something I'm going to have to fix in my own display settings?

EDIT:

Weirdly this issue disappears with the -git version, but not the normal version!

I updated to -git after reading about the seperator update, so I guess this is a none-issue tongue

It's not weird at all. There have been some bugfixes in that regard since that version wink
The next release will come out when I'm finished with the linewrapping stuff which hopefully will happen within the next 1-2 weeks.

#232 2012-09-09 07:35:17

knopwob
Website

Unia wrote:
knopwob wrote:

Yes please. Preferable, I'd like it if I could set a separator 1px under the current "end" of the notification.

I'm currently thinking about scrapping the current design of the separator and make it just one constant line through the whole line length. Like a border around the message but only at the bottom. The old separator may look nice but it needs too much configuration options.

I've already experimented with frames around the notifications but that always looked ugly when two notifications have different colors.

EDIT: I've implemented the new separator. This is incompatible to the old config format. Sorry for that

Last edited by knopwob (2012-09-09 09:04:14)

#233 2012-09-09 10:43:03

Unia
Website

knopwob wrote:

I'm currently thinking about scrapping the current design of the separator and make it just one constant line through the whole line length. Like a border around the message but only at the bottom. The old separator may look nice but it needs too much configuration options.

I've already experimented with frames around the notifications but that always looked ugly when two notifications have different colors.

EDIT: I've implemented the new separator. This is incompatible to the old config format. Sorry for that

Yes! This is perfect! Thank you Knopwob smile

#234 2012-09-27 14:52:22

Unia
Website

Hey Knopwob,

I just noticed you had released 0.4.0 so I thought I'd update the git version I use. However, it doesn't seem to work. When I relaunch dunst and use notify-send, it just shows the standard blue dunst message in the top-left corner. I figured it might be my config.h so I started fresh with a new config.def.h, but still the same result. Can you take a look and see if anything's wrong? Here's my config.h:

EDIT: Nevermind, I just started with a fresh PKGBUILD from AUR and it seems to work now. Weird neutral

Last edited by Unia (2012-09-27 14:59:57)

#235 2012-09-27 15:04:49

knopwob
Website

Unia wrote:

Hey Knopwob,

I just noticed you had released 0.4.0 so I thought I'd update the git version I use. However, it doesn't seem to work. When I relaunch dunst and use notify-send, it just shows the standard blue dunst message in the top-left corner. I figured it might be my config.h so I started fresh with a new config.def.h, but still the same result. Can you take a look and see if anything's wrong? Here's my config.h:

EDIT: Nevermind, I just started with a fresh PKGBUILD from AUR and it seems to work now. Weird neutral

It sounds like you have a default dunstrc lying around somewhere which dunst picked up. You can disable the reading of config files complety by building dunst with:

CFLAGS=-DSTATIC_CONFIG make

#236 2012-09-27 15:05:15

Unia
Website

knopwob wrote:
Unia wrote:

Hey Knopwob,

It sounds like you have a default dunstrc lying around somewhere which dunst picked up. You can disable the reading of config files complety by building dunst with:

Nope, I had already done that. I've never even touched a dunstrc big_smile

#237 2012-09-27 15:08:02

knopwob
Website

Unia wrote:
knopwob wrote:
Unia wrote:

Hey Knopwob,

Nope, I had already done that. I've never even touched a dunstrc big_smile

Oh well, as long as it works now tongue

#238 2012-09-27 17:18:21

Unia
Website

Exactly big_smile

#239 2012-10-04 07:01:18

porcupene

Hi.

I get a "There's already another notification-daemon running" when I try to start dunst. I've already removed xfce4-notifyd.
If I type notify-send some message at the console the message does pop up however.

What other notification daemon might be running?

#240 2012-10-04 08:56:40

Unia
Website

porcupene wrote:

Hi.

I get a "There's already another notification-daemon running" when I try to start dunst. I've already removed xfce4-notifyd.
If I type notify-send some message at the console the message does pop up however.

What other notification daemon might be running?

Install and run htop and see if another notifier is running. Maybe you could also run killall notification-daemon, but not sure on that.

#241 2012-10-04 09:47:57

porcupene

Unia wrote:

Install and run htop and see if another notifier is running. Maybe you could also run killall notification-daemon, but not sure on that.

I don't see anything related to notifications in htop.
From running killall notification-daemon I get notification-daemon: no process found

#242 2012-10-04 10:17:35

Šaran

Dunst behaves same way as, for example, xfce4-notifyd. It means that you don't need to start it at all, since it's recieving notifications through dbus using org.freedesktop.Notifications interface.

#243 2012-10-04 17:11:01

porcupene

So how do I check to see if it's running properly?

#244 2012-10-04 17:34:41

Unia
Website

porcupene wrote:

notify-send "If you read this from Dunst, it's running properly"

Obviously, run that from a terminal emulator big_smile

Last edited by Unia (2012-10-04 17:35:00)

#245 2012-10-04 18:32:29

porcupene

Unia wrote:
porcupene wrote:

notify-send "If you read this from Dunst, it's running properly"

Obviously, run that from a terminal emulator big_smile

Never mind that, I just received a notification for an email in Thunderbird. Dunst works! Thanks people!

One last question: is there a way to make the notifications not disappear until clicked? It's the main reason I replaced xfce4-notifyd since it only allows a maximum time of 480 seconds before the notifications disappear.

#246 2012-10-04 18:35:03

D.

Yes, this can be configured in dunstrc.

cp /usr/share/dunstrc ~/.config/dunst/dunstrc

For an example.

#247 2012-10-04 19:53:09

Šaran

I think I have found some odd behaviour with one line geometry.
I haven't updated dunst for some time, so I decided to do fresh compile of aur package and adapt config to new options and changes.

The problem:
a) If I send 10 notifications with same text one after another, there is no hidden indicator until I close one notification (I think this is intended, but it makes no sense neither in one line mode or standard geometry).
The next one (same text) shows hidden count, but it shows only 6 hidden, instead of 8.
b) Sometimes after idle timeout in config and after sending notifications from a) notification pops out of nothing showing age even though I'm using computer at the time.
c) I send 10 different notifications (numbers 1 through 10), and only first one is shown, and after closing it other 9 notifications never show up.
d) Sometiimes sending notification just closes one that is already shown .
e) History only shows the last one - it doesn't cycle.

For this I have used completely stock config, except for geometry which is "0x1-100+0".
3x30 default geometry works as expected. Only thing that would IMHO make more sense is showing hidden count on the first notification after sending new one that is same as already displayed one (a).

@porcupene, there are timeout variables in config, just below colors.

EDIT: on version from community with x1 geometry sending new notification just closes previously shown one and history bind most of the time does nothing.

Last edited by Šaran (2012-10-05 14:35:20)

#248 2012-10-05 14:22:17

Mogger
Website

This is fantastic! I tried some of the dzen-based notifications out there, but they were usually troublesome to set up so I just went back to my current solution (colibri). dunst was very easy to use (just install and run) and the configuration straightforward. I love the "follow keyboard focus" feature. Thank you for sharing this knopwob!

Some questions/requests I came up with while using it:
1. [Request] A -dock option (like dzen) would be nice, I filed an issue here: https://github.com/knopwob/dunst/issues/68
2. [Request] Would it be possible to specify color in "format"? I want different colors for my %s and %b, however, I realize that it's not that easy to add since it would clash with the colors specified by urgency. There are different solutions to this, but I'm not sure what the best (simplest) one is.
3. How are the keybindings supposed to work? Are they "global" shortcuts, or do they only function if dunst has focus? I can't get them to work but it's probably because of my system (xmonad + custom layout), it'll make it easier to investigate if I understood it better.
4. In the rules section, I set some notifications to be marked as critical. I expected those to have timeout = 0 (as specified in [urgency_critical]), but it seems like they get the normal timeout = 10. Is that intended or should I file an issue?
5. [Request] What do you think about the possibility to set a custom separator color instead of just "foreground" and "auto"?

(I use dunst 0.4.0 from [community].)
Again, thank you for your excellent work!

#249 2012-10-05 14:26:47

Šaran

Keybinds are global, and they get interpreted just fine on my system running monsterwm.
I think 4. is a bug.

#250 2012-10-05 15:00:20

knopwob
Website

@Saran: I'll look into your Issues later today/tomorrow. I'm currently pretty busy.

Mogger wrote:

This is fantastic! I tried some of the dzen-based notifications out there, but they were usually troublesome to set up so I just went back to my current solution (colibri). dunst was very easy to use (just install and run) and the configuration straightforward. I love the "follow keyboard focus" feature. Thank you for sharing this knopwob!

I'm glad you like it.

Mogger wrote:

Some questions/requests I came up with while using it:
1. [Request] A -dock option (like dzen) would be nice, I filed an issue here: https://github.com/knopwob/dunst/issues/68

I'll look into it this weekend.

Mogger wrote:

2. [Request] Would it be possible to specify color in "format"? I want different colors for my %s and %b, however, I realize that it's not that easy to add since it would clash with the colors specified by urgency. There are different solutions to this, but I'm not sure what the best (simplest) one is.

This might happen at some point, but it's no priority atm. I have too look into how much work it would be to integrade this into the way dunst renders the text.

Mogger wrote:

3. How are the keybindings supposed to work? Are they "global" shortcuts, or do they only function if dunst has focus? I can't get them to work but it's probably because of my system (xmonad + custom layout), it'll make it easier to investigate if I understood it better.

The dunst window doesn't need to have the focus for the keybindings to work. If you run dunst manually in a terminal it should print an error if one of its keybindings conflicts with other programs.
The keybindings to close notifications obviously only work when notifications are displayed but the history key should always work. (As long as there are notifications in the history. Dunst only keeps the history in ram. In other words: the history is lost after you restart dunst)

Mogger wrote:

4. In the rules section, I set some notifications to be marked as critical. I expected those to have timeout = 0 (as specified in [urgency_critical]), but it seems like they get the normal timeout = 10. Is that intended or should I file an issue?

It should work as you expect it. Does the rule match at all? Are for example the colors for urgent notifications applied to that notification? Posting your dunstrc might help as well.

Mogger wrote:

5. [Request] What do you think about the possibility to set a custom separator color instead of just "foreground" and "auto"?

I thought about it, but the setting would have to be added to every point where you can change colors. E.g. to every urgency tupe and to the rules. I was just too lazy to implement this and hoped that nobody would want that feature tongue
Maybe I'll do this this weekend... maybe...  roll

Board footer