You are not logged in.

#151 2012-07-01 09:58:15

Unia
Website

Re: dunst - a dmenu-ish notification daemon

knopwob wrote:

Those new features are currently not in the light branch, since both branches have diverged quite a lot and it isn't as straight forward as I have thought to keep the light branch up to date with the master branch. I think I have to come up with a better way to make those "i don't want no xft and I want my config.h" guys of you happy wink

In case this might make things easier for you, the only new option I think is interesting is the alignment one. Thanks again for all the hard work you put in this and it's awesome the application is going to be packaged in Debian!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#152 2012-07-02 08:20:06

Šaran

Thank you!

#153 2012-07-23 10:11:43

knopwob
Website

It's time for a new post about the latest changes in dunst.

• There have been some bugfixes, most noticably: Dunst got caught in an endless loop when there were hidden notifications and you closed all notifications (by rightclicking the window) which spammed dbus resulting in huge memory usage of dbus-daemon.

• A new keybinding to close all notifications (same as rightclicking the window) has been introduced.

• The old way of defining keybindings has been depricated, but It should still work for the moment (unless I've broken it with the update).
    The new way looks like this:

[shortcuts]
        close = ctrl+space
        close_all = ctrl+shift+space
        history = ctrl+grave

This has the advantage that you can have different sets of modifiers for different shortcuts. The same applies to the cmdline arguments:

dunst -key ctrl+space -all_key ctrl+shift+space -history_key ctrl+grave

Since this is a rather large change, there might be some bugs. Please let me know if you encounter any problems with the new changes.

#154 2012-07-24 12:10:49

knopwob
Website

Another new feature for the people with multiple monitors:

Dunst can now detect which monitor has the focus and display its notifications on that monitor. You can define wether dunst should follow the mouse cursor, the keyboard focus(*) or nothing.

dunstrc:

[global]
     follow = none/mouse/keyboard

cmdline:

dunst -follow none/mouse/keyboard

(*) To be able to follow the keyboard focus dunst needs the _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW property to be set by the windowmanager. This should be the case with almost all modern windowmanagers.

Enjoy and please let me know if you encounter any issues.

#155 2012-07-24 13:19:37

Army

Will those changes go into the light branch as well?

#156 2012-07-24 14:39:41

knopwob
Website

Army wrote:

Because of the way things are structured internally it's a lot more work to update the light branch than I had anticipated when I introduced it. And to be honest, my motivation to do this work is pretty low. That's why I would prefer if everybody would be happy with the way things are in master. But if the demand for a static configuration and/or non-xft is high enough I'll probably end up investing a few hours to make those compile-time options. I'm sorry for procrastinating this issue.

#157 2012-07-24 17:06:30

Doomcide

knopwob wrote:
Army wrote:

Because of the way things are structured internally it's a lot more work to update the light branch than I had anticipated when I introduced it. And to be honest, my motivation to do this work is pretty low. That's why I would prefer if everybody would be happy with the way things are in master. But if the demand for a static configuration and/or non-xft is high enough I'll probably end up investing a few hours to make those compile-time options. I'm sorry for procrastinating this issue.

Just wanted to say, that I really appreciate the light branch and would be a bit sad if it was shut down, but on the other hand I don't necessarily need those updates/features and consider dunst pretty complete how it is.

#158 2012-07-24 19:34:06

Army

Kind of the same here, if I had the choice, I'd always pick the light branch, but it doesn't make sense to "force" you to continue with code that sucks for you.

#159 2012-07-25 09:15:10

knopwob
Website

Army wrote:

preface1: This is only interesting for those using the light branch. Everyone else can skip this post.

preface2: I want to release a new dunst version at the weekend (no interesting info for arch users since you use the -git version) and because of that the current master is considered a release-candidate so all changes I'll talk about in this post are currently only in the "next" branch.

I've reintroduced the good ol' config.h. There are some differences to the old one, mainly new variables and some variables might have new names, so I suggest you start from scratch with the config.def.h. The variables in config.h are the "builtin" default values and can be overwritten either by commandline options or the dunstrc. The parsing of the dunstrc can be completely disabled either by commenting this line in config.mk:

#STATIC= -DSTATIC_CONFIG

or by compiling dunst with

CFLAGS="-DSTATIC_CONFIG" make

in order to avoid conflicts with any existing dunstrc.

And (mostly by accident) I discovered that xft can understand the old font definitions ("-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*") and it looks like it doesn't apply anti-aliasing or other fancy stuff that some people might not like to it. So if you don't want xft please give that a try first and let me know if there's still a demand for a non-xft version.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee that the variable names/types will always stay the same and if new configuration options are added, you have to edit your config.h anyway in order to make dunst compile. So be prepared that any commit may force you to update your config.h. This btw. is the main reason I prefer the dunstrc.

@Army: Once those changes hit master, you can remove the sed line from PKGBUILD that changes "CFLAGS = " to "CFLAGS +=" etc. I've changed those in config.mk in order to make the "CFLAGS="-DSTATIC_CONFIG make" work.

#160 2012-07-25 09:49:21

Army

Dude, this sounds great! Thanks a lot for your work!

knopwob wrote:

@Army: Once those changes hit master, you can remove the sed line from PKGBUILD that changes "CFLAGS = " to "CFLAGS +=" etc. I've changed those in config.mk in order to make the "CFLAGS="-DSTATIC_CONFIG make" work.

Ok, I already changed it locally, since I now run the next branch for testing.

#161 2012-07-31 11:23:55

knopwob
Website

just wanted to let you know that I've merged the next branch into master. So hopefully everybody's happy now smile

@Army: I think you can update the aur package once more with the changes from my last post ;-)

#162 2012-07-31 11:57:03

Army

erledigt ... ähm ... done smile

#163 2012-07-31 18:11:53

feuri

I've added an aur package for stable releases.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61351

#164 2012-08-02 19:39:49

Unia
Website

I have added an AUR package for the light branch. I'm not sure about the license, because on the dunst-git page I read it's been changed to BSD but the light branch still has the old one. I filed an issue on this @ GitHub, but for now I've put it on BSD. (altho in the PKGBUILD, I do not copy any license just yet)

Please review the PKGBUILD here:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61402

EDIT: Knopwob considers this branch to be almost dead, so perhaps you want to refrain from using this. For now, I'll keep it online though. It works good for me.

Last edited by Unia (2012-08-02 19:57:49)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#165 2012-08-03 17:55:57

irtigor

Thanks! It's a really nice app. I only strange a little the way to set shortcuts, example: mod4+shift+period instead of mod4+greater (that in my keyboard is produced by shift+period).

#166 2012-08-03 19:06:56

knopwob
Website

irtigor wrote:

Thanks! It's a really nice app. I only strange a little the way to set shortcuts, example: mod4+shift+period instead of mod4+greater (that in my keyboard is produced by shift+period).

This basically boils down to how the underlying library (xlib) works. And your example would raise a problem, since on an us keyboard, there are two 'greater' keys: shift+period and shift + the key next to left shift. (Without doing proper research on this) I would say that this little inconvinience isn't worth the effort that is necessary to fix this, but patches are welcome wink

#167 2012-08-08 23:09:51

chneukirchen

When I pass -history_key, my -geometry 0x5-5+15 gets ignored (full width instead)... weird.

#168 2012-08-09 09:12:04

knopwob
Website

chneukirchen wrote:

When I pass -history_key, my -geometry 0x5-5+15 gets ignored (full width instead)... weird.

Should be fixed. There was a break missing in a switch/case, which caused that the history_key was also parsed as geometry.

#169 2012-08-10 19:24:57

ninian
Website

The latest dunst-git isn't working for me (on both of 2 fully-upgraded systems tested):

$ notify-send title message
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  33 (X_GrabKey)
  Serial number of failed request:  258
  Current serial number in output stream:  260

My dunstrc hasn't changed, downgrading dunst-git (20120810-1 => 20120730-1) makes it work again.
If it's of significance, I'm using this geometry and only a single shortcut key defined:

geometry = "0x5-0-0"
history = ctrl+grave

#170 2012-08-12 16:22:09

knopwob
Website

@ninian:

Are you sure no other program is using this keybinding and is the keybinding working in the old dunst version and does the new version work with other key-combinations?

Last edited by knopwob (2012-08-12 16:25:05)

#171 2012-08-12 21:58:00

ninian
Website

knopwob wrote:

@ninian:
Are you sure no other program is using this keybinding and is the keybinding working in the old dunst version and does the new version work with other key-combinations?

No other program grabbing the keybinding, and I get exactly the same error even if I comment out all keybindings in dunstrc.
Rebuilt dunst-git today, and still the same. Tried history keybinding = ctrl+shift+grave  and the default geometry too, with no effect.
By the way, I'm using systemd but launching dunst in my Openbox autostart with the command: dunst &
sad

#172 2012-08-12 22:58:17

knopwob
Website

@ninian:

aah I think I know now what's going on. With the reintroduction of config.h I accidently added keybindings there, that get used when no keybinding is specified in the dunstrc. Those are "ctrl+space" "ctrl+shift+space" "ctrl+grave". I think one of those conflicted with something else.

I just pushed a few changes that:

• remove the default keybindings

• introduced the keybinding "none" to disable keybindings (e.g remove keybindings via commandline, that are set in dunstrc

• dunst now shouldn't die when it is unable to grab a keybinding and just print an error message

Hopefully this fixes the Issues you have.

#173 2012-08-12 23:37:19

ninian
Website

knopwob wrote:

@ninian:
dunst now shouldn't die when it is unable to grab a keybinding and just print an error message

Hopefully this fixes the Issues you have.

Thank you so much for the quick fix.
A few preliminary tests before going to bed and they're looking good so far!
smile

#174 2012-08-14 15:43:15

knopwob
Website

mnzaki wrote:

The age does not show if the message has been truncated due to length, which
reminds me, any hope for multiline support instead of truncating messages for
fixed width geometries?

You now can add this:

[global]
 word_wrap = yes

to your dunstrc. This works for a fixed width in geometry, and the *expand across the screen* geometry.

Known limitations:

• A word longer/wider than the max width is still being truncated.

• A wordwrapped notification still has a height of 1 in regards of the geometry. This means that the window could get a greater height than you specified with the geometry when there are wordwrapped notifications.[*/]

This is stilll somewhat experimental, so please let me know if you encounter any issues or if you see things that need some tweeking.

#175 2012-08-17 21:40:02

chneukirchen

I'm not sure this ever worked, but Pidgin messages in UTF-8 are not properly displayed (latin1 mangled instead).

Board footer