#226 2012-05-02 21:35:56

stlarch

Re: dminiwm snapwm & bipolarbar

Awesome! No hurry though.

#227 2012-05-24 22:19:42

moetunes

moetunes wrote:

I used the simplest way to set the the font up so it is pretty limited. The only way to show unicode characters is to print them out which can only be done in the external text. e.g. printf "\u00b0" . Improving the font handling has been on the todo list for a while and shouldn't be too hard so I can probably have it done today.

I should have said if I didn't get it done that day it'll be a while before I would...
I've added support for multibyte fonts in some_sorta_bar. Fonts are defined in a comma seperated list. It's best to end the font list with ,* or there'll be errors about missing fonts.

#define FONT "-*-terminusmod.icons-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,*"

here's the conkyrc I use

out_to_x no
out_to_console yes
double_buffer yes
use_spacer left
update_interval 1
no_buffers yes

TEXT
&L&4Î &9${mem} &4±&2${execi 20 /home/pnewm/.bin/sensors_out} &4µ &2 $freq_g &3${cpu cpu1}% ${cpu cpu2}% ${cpu cpu3}% ${cpu cpu4}% &C &4ð &6 $battery &4¤ &5${if_up wlan0}${downspeed wlan0}${wireless_link_qual_perc wlan0}%$else${downspeed eth0}$endif &R&4¹&2 ${uptime} &4É&2 ${time %a %d/%m} &4:&2 ${execi 60 /home/pnewm/progs/c.files/fuzzyctime} &4ê 

to get this screenshot
http://ompldr.org/vZHcxaQ

I should have snapwm done 'soonish'

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#228 2012-05-25 04:23:14

stlarch

You sure do know how to keep an idiot in suspense tongue I did say no hurry though tongue

#229 2012-05-26 03:04:29

moetunes

Heh tongue

Some some_sorta_bar news.
Instead of reading from the root windows name it now takes input from a pipe. So

conky | some_sorta_bar &

for example.
I've added some error checking too. There's a new define for turning off messages about missing fontsets.

#define FONTS_ERROR 1      // 0 to have missing fonts error shown

I found that with ,* on the end of the font list that the bar was being made taller than the visible font needed, I guessed due to some font in ,*.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-05-26 15:23:53)

#230 2012-05-30 01:34:50

moetunes

Some snapwm news.
I've added multibyte font support to snapwm. Here's a pic :
tZTA5bQ
If you want "icons" in the bar print them in a terminal and copy/paste to .snapwmrc and/or your external text, save the file and hit Alt+u. There's a new define in the config.h to turn on/of errors about missing fontsets :

#define FONTS_ERROR 1  /* 1=Don't 0=Print errors about missing fonts */

and I fixed up a couple of little things like if it's updated it won't change the tiling mode on desktops that have open windows.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-06-03 01:22:13)

#231 2012-05-30 04:40:01

stlarch

Hey, I'm having a problem using my font stlarch_font. A few of the icons are getting cut off a little and I'm getting some flicker and maybe a little spike in cpu. It seems like something is messing with it. Stlarch_font only contains icons and uses the unicode private use area. It is wider (8x10) than the other font I'm using with it (termsyn6x11). I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. It seems to work fine in dwm like this. I don't know if you've tried it with stlarch_font or not. I noticed that the colors changed too for the status part of the bar. I had to change them from 4 to 5, and 1 to 2. Anyway, here's a screenshot. It has the relevant part of my config.h and my conkyrc in the screenshot.
tZTBjZA

Last edited by stlarch (2012-05-30 05:56:03)

#232 2012-05-30 07:32:32

moetunes

I haven't tried with lots of different fonts yet. Terminusmod.icons had one glyph that was drawn a bit to the right but all the rest worked fine. I get no flicker or cpu spikes using it so I'll see how stlarch and termsyn fonts go here. If it renders fine in dwm I have some more work to do.
I find it interesting that some fonts work better than others as Gullible Jones found out here

#233 2012-05-30 22:02:16

stlarch

Thanks. The current verion of termsyn might be a little bit of a mess. I'm going through the 7x12 now. I don't know what I did on the 12 bold. It almost looks like I copied the 11 bold into the 12? Doooh. It will be drastically improved when it's updated. I haven't got to the 14 yet. I should have it updated in a few days. You can use stlarch_font with any other font, like terminus. Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help test it let me know. I can post a screenshot of the icons if you need me to. Or you can convert them to .bdf and use gbdfed to view and edit them. Speaking of which, I noticed that when I use gbdfed and have a terminal open on the same desktop, the prompt changes (from solid to outlined)? I know it is happening in monocle but I can't remeber if it happens with other layouts. It doesn't seem to happen if they are on different desktops.

#234 2012-05-31 01:32:41

moetunes

I used stlarch and terminusmod.icons for the fonts and it seems to be fine now. Here's a pic :
tZTB2bA
I'll sort out some_sorta_bar with the fixes, Cheers for speaking up stlarch.
About your terminal, does the terminal have the focused window border colour and the prompt stays 'off' ? I'll see what happens here with gbdfed.

#235 2012-05-31 03:22:24

stlarch

It still seems messed up here. The icons are showing correctly now but the desktop names are getting cut off and the end near the clock is too. Everytime I open a window or pretty much do anything the WINDOWNAME keeps popping up (I have mine set to 0 length). I tried changing the length but it desn't seem to make a difference. And I tried using vertical mode with gbdfed and I do lose all focus and can't change it. Here's another screenshot (it's the new termsyn 12 btw in xterm in the shot, and termsyn 11 in the bar):
tZTB4OQ
edit: I forgot to ask again about the colors. I was using &4 for the icons and &1 for the text in the status part of the bar and after the first update I had to change it to &5 for the icons and &2 for the text but the rest of the bar didn't change.

Last edited by stlarch (2012-05-31 04:12:48)

#236 2012-06-02 10:55:07

moetunes

Some snapwm news.
I've said it before and I'll try saying it again tongue
It seems to be fine now.
I changed how I placed the characters in the bar and had some fine tuning to catch up on. It should be fine now with having the number of open windows shown in the desktop switcher and I've fixed the window name displaying, I hadn't added the limit yet... I don't know what's up with you having to change colours yet stlarch, but if I do I'll update the wiki if necessary. If the flicker is still an issue I'll add a double buffer, it's ok on this i5 laptop but I'll check it on the pentium3.
@stlarch If the gbdfed problem was new it might be ok now, if not how did you install it? The aur version is out of date and I'd like to check it out.
Here's a pic :
tZTI0Zg

I've sorted some_sorta_bar out as well.

Cheers

#237 2012-06-02 15:42:03

stlarch

Ha. Well, it seems close now. I'm still getting the last letter of a couple of my desktop names cut off. It looks like the text is all one space too far to the right on that part of the bar. The status part looks right now. I am still getting some flicker too. The window name is fixed. It seems like gbdfed is ok too now. I have the focus border colors back in tiling mode and I get the prompt back too. I am using the one from the AUR. I believe it's up to date? (1.6) The one in the AUR has a patch from OK100 that fixes the editor. I don't know if it's been merged upstream or not but it's not very useful without that. Here's another shot of the bar:
tZTI3OA
Thanks again for doing all of this.

#238 2012-06-02 22:30:47

mhertz

@moetunes

With newest some_sorta_bar I have an issue about the bar segfaulting when the declared font isn't available and when data is piped to it...

Thanks in advance!

#239 2012-06-02 23:34:18

moetunes

@stlarch I had swapped a file for an older one and forgot the fix for when using SHOWNUMOPEN, sorry about that.
"It seems to be fine now." heh. I'll add the double buffer bit to fix the flicker soon.

@mhertz Here it worked ok with
#define FONT "t" - ssb used fixed font ok but
#define FONT "" - caused the segfault. Is that what you did?
I put in a check for the length of the font list and it should be ok now. Cheers for speaking up.

Edit : To show some font icons from e.g. terminusmodx and to have characters from different languages shown the font list should start with the font that has the icons and be followed with a font that has the characters from the different language. To show font icons and some greek letters I have

#define FONT "-*-terminusmod.icons-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-terminus-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-stlarch-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

on one line which you can see working in the bar at the bottom of this pic :
tZTJlMA

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-06-03 00:34:46)

#240 2012-06-03 05:16:06

stlarch

Thanks, it seems better now.

#241 2012-06-03 06:34:37

moetunes

stlarch wrote:

Thanks, it seems better now.

I've been getting random crashes which I never get. Turns out XFetchName is returning (null) on occasions which it never used to do, or the propertynotify event changed or ... anyway I fixed that.
Suprised me it did, all the windows disappearing all of a sudden yikes

#242 2012-06-03 11:24:56

prasinoulhs

moetunes wrote:

@ prasinoulhs & mhertz - it would be helpful to know what you are using as a font that fails.
There should be an error like in this pic :
http://ompldr.org/tZTJnYg
I found it would segfault if the font list was empty but it seems to work as expected otherwise here.

Using this commit if i define terminus(mod) as the font i get a Segmentation fault. Any other font will work. (terminus/mod is installed)

#define FONT "-*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
make && conky -c ../configs/conky-piperc | ./some_sorta_bar 
gcc -Wall   -c -o some_sorta_bar.o some_sorta_bar.c
gcc  -s -Os -o some_sorta_bar some_sorta_bar.o -lX11
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO10646-1
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: JISX0201.1976-0
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: GB2312.1980-0
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: KSC5601.1987-0
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: JISX0208.1983-0
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-15
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-14
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-13
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-9
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-7
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: KOI8-R
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-5
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-4
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-3
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-2
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-1
:: snapwm :: missing fontset: ISO8859-1
:: snapwm :: Font '-*-terminus-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' Not Found
SSB :: Trying Font 'Fixed'
Segmentation fault

After the last update it works fine.

conky wrote:

background no
out_to_console yes
out_to_x no
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
use_spacer none

TEXT
&L &9${mem} $freq_g &3${cpu cpu1}% ${cpu cpu2}% &C &6 $battery &R ${time %a %d/%m}

#243 2012-06-03 14:47:56

mhertz

Sorry moe, I forgot to add that I just used the default font line unmodified, which I always do, and then it should just use "fixed" instead...

Anyway, It works now again, so thanks alot for that, mate!

#244 2012-06-04 06:02:57

moetunes

I'm glad it's working ok now prasinoulhs & mhertz smile

Some snapwm news.
I've added double buffering to the text in the bar so it should be flicker free now.

#245 2012-06-04 14:39:55

stlarch

Thanks for that, it fixed the flickering but now I get an artifact next to the time at the end of the bar. If I update the bar it will disapear but then return when I log out/back in. Here's another screenshot:
tZTMxNg

Last edited by stlarch (2012-06-04 14:47:30)

#246 2012-06-04 21:21:21

moetunes

stlarch wrote:

Thanks for that, it fixed the flickering but now I get an artifact next to the time at the end of the bar. If I update the bar it will disapear but then return when I log out/back in. Here's another screenshot:
http://ompldr.org/tZTMxNg

There "shouldn't" be any artifacts in the bar as the buffer is cleared before the external text writes to it but I was 'fixing' little things through the code and ended up making the bar 2px short when it was started, then an update made it full length again. Can you see if a git pull fixes the artifact at the start?

Cheers

#247 2012-06-04 22:38:46

stlarch

Yes, it's ok now. Thank you.

#248 2012-06-05 12:35:26

moetunes

I've never really been sure about having a number & a : for showing the number of open windows on the desktop, looks a bit clunky to me, so I'm trying out different options. Here's what I'm trying now :
tZTNvbg
basically a meter that grows across the top instead of a number.

#249 2012-06-06 00:19:16

moetunes

Some snapwm news.
I moved the meter showing the number of open windows to the bottom of the switcher. Here's a pic :
tZTQ3eA
It works the same as before, if there's more than one window on an unfocused desktop or the current desktop is in fullscreen mode the meter will be shown for that desktop.
As always comments, complaints and alternative suggestions are welcome if they are written on the back of a ten dollar note tongue

Cheers

#250 2012-06-11 21:24:28

stlarch

I wasn't sure about the dots at first, but I kind of like it now. I was just wondering if you ever figured out why my colors changed? And like I said, I noticed a slight increase in cpu usage. It's not much but it seems to be slightly higher than before and than in dwm with a similar setup. I'm not sure how to test it exactly. Running top, it seems to be causing X to use more? Anybody else have the color change? Here's my config.h if you want to test it and see if you notice something I'm missing. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByfkpBn … edit?pli=1
Thanks. Sorry, all out of ten dollar notes.

Board footer