You are not logged in.

#376 2012-09-08 12:18:35

synorgy
Website

Re: dminiwm snapwm & bipolarbar

great. I'll have a look over bipolarbar. Basically, I should've said "I generally know how to do this, but I come from DWM." rather than making it sound like I thought that dropping dwm's source into your app was a good idea tongue

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#377 2012-09-09 06:15:09

moetunes

@synorgy, how did you go having a hack?
I'm thinking if you don't know about graphic contexts you might have struggled a bit, maybe.
It was around 4am Sunday morning when I replied before so my interest was lacking... but I've hacked a first draft for changing the background and thrown it up here if you want to have a look. It wasn't as straightforward as I first thought. That file is a replacement for bar.c, uses the TEXTTHEME colours from rc.conf for the background(so &B0 - &B6) and uses &B7 to reset it back to the default background.
Not ideal but it's given me an idea for what needs to be done as time and interest permits. I'm thinking a line in rc.conf for changing the background colour for the focused windows' name might be the easiest way to handle that part, not sure yet.
So if you don't beat me to it I should have something more friendlier by the end of the week, hopefully...

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#378 2012-09-09 13:13:25

synorgy
Website

moe - I have a basic understanding of XLib (and consequently, Graphics contexts) . It's mostly the C that gave me problems. You're right in that it wasn't as straight forward as I thought it'd be. I got basic changing working, but never got it integrated with any colors that the user set. Real life got in the way before I got that far.

I'll have a look at your changes and see if there's anything I can contribute.
Initial thought: Maybe we provide the same three additional colors for BARTHEME that are already present for TEXTTHEME?

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#379 2012-09-18 08:18:20

moetunes

Some impending snapwm news.

I've added the option to change the background colour in the bar but haven't pushed it to git yet as the rc.conf will need changing or the wm won't start. I seperated the colours for the desktop switcher and the rest of the bar, there's now 10 colours that have to be named for the bar which can be used for both foreground and background and with the PKGBUILD on aur I don't want anyone updating and having it segfault and just blaming bad coding or whatever(though I don't know if many people actually use this much, I am suprised when a new face pops up in the thread every now and again, but as we say in the trade "no news is good news" so onwards and upwards, probably showing my british heritage there but I am unequal parts Irish, french and german which has some people saying I should wake up in the mornings fighting with myself but that's a story for another time and it seems like it's time for a full stop).
Here's a pic:
tZmpheg

I'll give more details and push it to git in the morning, just wanted to give a warning about the necessary changes.

Cheers

#380 2012-09-18 20:41:35

moetunes

I've pushed the changes to git.
rc.conf needs editing.
BARTHEME should be changed to SWITCHERTHEME but the colours there haven't changed.
TEXTTHEME should be changed to STATUSTHEME and MUST have ten colours named.
The easiest way is to add the colour for the bar's background at the beginning(that's the default), the next four colours are for the focused desktop font in switcher, unfocused desktop font in switcher, unfocused desktop with opened windows font in switcher, the focused window name font in the status bar and there's now five extra colours. All can be used to colour the external text(&0-&9) or change the background(&B0-&B9). Since the first colour is now for the bar background, colours in any external text will have to be incremented by one. Check the sample file if you need more clues.
There can be a new line in rc.conf to change the background of the focused windows' name

# Background colour for the focused window's name
WNAMEBG 7

If you don't want to change that then leave it out as it defaults to the default bar background colour.

tZmpseQ

To recap: in rc.conf two variables are renamed, three colours are added and if you want a different background for the focused windows' name a new line is added.

I think that's everything. As always, any questions etc are always welcome.

Cheers

#381 2012-09-20 04:53:23

hellomynameisphil
Website

I notice that in snapwm, there is no border around the first window in floating mode. Is that by design?

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2012-09-20 04:53:59)

#382 2012-09-20 07:53:38

moetunes

@synorgy, background colours working like you wanted?

@hellomynameisphil, it was a carry over from when there was only tiling modes which have no borders when there is only one window open. I did add a border to the first opened window in stacking mode for a little while (it's not hard to do), no one commented on it, then I decided to go without it and again no one commented, so I figured stacking mode wasn't something anyone used much... I can add it back easily enough if it's wanted.

Some other news.
When I moved the keyboard shortcuts to their own file I forgot about the option to pick the key used when resizing/moving windows in stacking mode. The default is still Alt but if the Super key is preferred a line can be added in rc.conf to use that.

RESIZEMOVEKEY Super

I've also been tweaking how transient windows are handled and they can now be moved around like windows in stacking mode which can be handy at times.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-09-20 07:57:49)

#383 2012-09-20 14:06:06

hellomynameisphil
Website

My two cents is that alll floating windows should have borders. I like full-screen windows not having borders, though.

#384 2012-09-20 16:00:51

synorgy
Website

@Moetunes: Yeah - the background switching works great. I'm actually not using for much currently (see my post on the september screenshots topic, last post - page #6), but that's not your fault. At some point in the near future, I want to look into removing the border on the status bar window (or looking into reducing or removing the padding on the bar, if that's not caused by the border). I'm looking to emulate the look of lokaltog's powerline in VIM in my statusbar. 

For the interested, but uninitiated - have a look at the effect I'm looking for here

#385 2012-09-20 16:23:57

hellomynameisphil
Website

Am I the only one having trouble with some windows in dminiwm drooping below the bottom of the screen by a few pixels? This is in monocle mode or in tiling modes where a window is the only one on the screen.
http://imgur.com/jUg8C
https://github.com/philthomson/archimed … m/config.h

#386 2012-09-20 17:01:04

stlarch

I never even noticed the missing RESIZEMOVEKEY for floating windows. I obviously don't use it much. I tried adding the new option to rc.conf but it doesn't seem to be working here? My keys for doing that still work fine with Super but with the mouse it still wants to use ATL.

#387 2012-09-20 19:49:15

moetunes

@hellomynameisphil, thanks for the feedback on borders, that's been added. Is that dwb you're using in that screenshot? Is that the only app it happens with? Things seem ok here but I'd like to try with what you're using.

@synorgy, there's a one pixel padding top and bottom for the font in the bar which gives the height then there's the border. I've made it so removing the border is fairly easy (I won't be doing that), in bar.c in status_bar() change the border size from 2 to zero in the two XCreateSimpleWindow lines and remove the +4 from all sb_height+4 in all files. I've no idea on how to draw pointy bits in X so when you find out let me know. wink

@stlarch, the RESIZEMOVEKEY is just for when using the mouse so that's the time it should have worked. Just to check, case is important, you did have a capital S in Super?

RESIZEMOVEKEY Super

And you did update the wm? I'm just guessing at stuff as I can't make it not work here, I add the line to use the Super key and update, then mispell Super and update to go back to Alt.

#388 2012-09-20 23:30:06

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

Is that dwb you're using in that screenshot? Is that the only app it happens with? Things seem ok here but I'd like to try with what you're using.

It's dwb. Used to happen with urxvt too, but it seemed fine when I tested it just now. Even tried a few different fonts.

EDIT: it seems to be cutting off the right-hand side of the window as well.

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2012-09-20 23:56:07)

#389 2012-09-21 05:15:30

moetunes

Yep. One extra borderwidth both ways. In dminiwm it was with one open window or many in fullscreen mode and with larrythewindowmanager and snapwm it was only in fullscreen mode. All fixed and pushed to git.
Thanks for pointing that out Phil. smile

Cheers

#390 2012-09-21 05:53:37

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

@hellomynameisphil, it was a carry over from when there was only tiling modes which have no borders when there is only one window open. I did add a border to the first opened window in stacking mode for a little while (it's not hard to do), no one commented on it, then I decided to go without it and again no one commented, so I figured stacking mode wasn't something anyone used much... I can add it back easily enough if it's wanted.

Hey, looks good in snapwm. How would you feel about adding it to dminiwm too? (Sorry, my initial question was about snapwm only, but I realized the situation is the same in dminiwm.)

#391 2012-09-21 06:08:30

stlarch

Moe, I do have a capital S and the latest update but it still doesn't work here. Does anything need to be added to key.conf? I'll post my rc.conf and key.conf and meanwhile I take another look and try to see if it's something I'm doing:

# Possible Mods are Alt, CtrlAlt, ShftAlt, Super, ShftSuper, CtrlSuper

CMD dmenucmd;dmenu_run;-i;-b;-nb;#000000;-nf;#7f7f7f;-sb;#1c678c;-sf;#cccccc;-fn;-*-terminusmodx-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*;NULL;
CMD termcmd;urxvt;NULL;
CMD webcmd;firefox;NULL;
CMD scrotcmd;scrot;NULL;

KEY Super;1;change_desktop;0;
KEY Super;2;change_desktop;1;
KEY Super;3;change_desktop;2;
KEY Super;4;change_desktop;3;

KEY CtrlSuper;1;follow_client_to_desktop;0;
KEY CtrlSuper;2;follow_client_to_desktop;1;
KEY CtrlSuper;3;follow_client_to_desktop;2;
KEY CtrlSuper;4;follow_client_to_desktop;3;

KEY ShftSuper;1;client_to_desktop;0;
KEY ShftSuper;2;client_to_desktop;1;
KEY ShftSuper;3;client_to_desktop;2;
KEY ShftSuper;4;client_to_desktop;3;

KEY Super;backslash;rotate_mode;1;
KEY Super;c;kill_client;
KEY Super;h;resize_master;-10;
KEY Super;k;next_win;
KEY Super;j;prev_win;
KEY Super;l;resize_master;10;
KEY Super;p;resize_stack;-10;
KEY Super;o;resize_stack;10;
KEY Super;u;update_config;
KEY Super;Tab;last_desktop;
KEY Super;equal;more_master;1;
KEY Super;minus;more_master;-1;
KEY ShftSuper;o;move_down;10;
KEY ShftSuper;p;move_up;-10;
KEY ShftSuper;h;move_left;-10;
KEY ShftSuper;l;move_right;10;
KEY Super;s;swap_master;
KEY Super;space;toggle_bar;
KEY Super;period;rotate_desktop;1;
KEY Super;comma;rotate_desktop;-1;
KEY Super;q;quit;

KEY Super;t;switch_mode;0;
KEY Super;m;switch_mode;1;
KEY Super;b;switch_mode;2;
KEY Super;g;switch_mode;3;
KEY Super;f;switch_mode;4;

KEY Super;d;spawn;dmenucmd;
KEY Super;Return;spawn;termcmd;
KEY Super;w;spawn;webcmd;
KEY Super;Print;spawn;scrotcmd;
# lines starting with a hash are ignored
# Number of DESKTOPS should be first
DESKTOPS 4

# switchertheme colours are :
#    focused desktop in switcher
#    unfocused desktop in switcher and bar background
#    unfocused desktop in switcher with opened windows
#    the bars border
SWITCHERTHEME #1c678c;#000000;#666666;#000000;
# statustheme colours are :
#    default bar background
#    focused desktop font in switcher
#    unfocused desktop font in switcher
#    unfocused desktop with opened windows font in switcher
#    the focused window name font in the status bar/also for external text
#    five more colours for the external text
STATUSTHEME #000000;#cccccc;#7f7f7f;#b3b3b3;#aaaaaa;#1c678c;#4ba65a;#ff950e;#666666;#999999;
# windowtheme colours are :
#    focused window border and unfocused window border
WINDOWTHEME #1c678c;#444444;

BORDERWIDTH 1
MASTERSIZE 50
ATTACHASIDE 1
TOPSTACK 1
DEFAULTMODE 1
# For semi transparent unfocused windows if using a compositor e.g. compton
UF_WIN_ALPHA 65
# only one of FOLLOWMOUSE and CLICKTOFOCUS should be zero
FOLLOWMOUSE 1
CLICKTOFOCUS 1
LEFT_WINDOWNAME 0
WINDOWNAMELENGTH 135
RESIZEMOVEKEY Super
TOPBAR 0
SHOW_BAR 0
SHOWNUMOPEN 0
MODENAME ;;;;;
DESKTOP_NAMES 1;2;3;4;
FONTNAME "-*-stlarch-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-terminusmodx-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

#392 2012-09-21 06:32:17

moetunes

@hellomynameisphil, done smile

@stlarch, that looks fine. Nothing is needed in the keys file. Having "RESIZEMOVEKEY Super" only affects the key you hold down while you left/right click on a window and drag to move/resize the window in stacking mode. I wanted to have that in the keys file but with the way that is read it didn't really suit being there so I put it in rc.conf. Super seems to work fine for you as you have that in the keys file alot, but maybe that's the issue. Give me a minute and I'll use the Super key for eveything and see if that causes an issue here.

Super+click+drag works for eveyone else?

#393 2012-09-21 06:52:33

moetunes

Having Super used lots in the keys.conf then adding "RESIZEMOVEKEY Super" works ok here. I added a line anyway that might help in your case so try an update to the wm stlarch. Let me know how it goes, I'll be trying to think of more checks I can do in the meantime.
Hows being a grandad working out?

#394 2012-09-21 16:02:02

stlarch

I updated again but still not having any luck. I kinda suspected some of my keys might be conflicting with it. I'll see if I can pinpoint it when I have some time to play with it. I'm going to be pretty busy today. Like I said, I didn't even notice it because I rarely use floating on this small screen but I probably will use it in the future.

I already had a little experience (my other daughter has a 10 month old girl). They're both awesome. It's really great. I can go over anytime I want and play with them and spoil them and then I can just leave! LOL. Payback is a bitch!

#395 2012-09-21 20:37:11

moetunes

stlarch, with your key file and my rc.conf it works, with your rc.conf and my key file it works but with your rc.conf and key file it doesn't, so I'm getting closer to having it sorted...
Can you move the RESIZEMOVEKEY line up to so it comes after CLICKTOFOCUS and try again? That seems to have it working here but I dunno yet why that matters.

EDIT: Seems that wasn't the whole story. I changed a couple of lines in readrc.c that has your rc.conf and key.conf working here so try an update to the wm now and it 'should' be working fine I hope...

Last edited by moetunes (2012-09-21 20:54:57)

#396 2012-09-21 21:11:00

stlarch

Yep, it's working now. Thank you!

#397 2012-09-21 21:25:41

moetunes

That's great to hear, thanks for your patience! I'm guessing it was a problem with no new line at the end of "RESIZEMOVEKEY Super" but I'm not really sure.

#398 2012-09-21 22:44:07

hellomynameisphil
Website

1) When a window closes on a desktop other than the current one in dminiwm, my panel (based on piping dminiwm into bipolarbar) still shows the window being open. My startup script is here:
https://github.com/philthomson/archimed … rt_dminiwm

2) I don't see an option to use Alt + Super as a mod key combo in snapwm's key.conf. Is this a possibility?

#399 2012-09-22 00:03:09

moetunes

Phil, I used the while loop part of your file when starting dminiwm, opened a urxvt on desktop 1, started a xterm from the urxvt and sent it to desktop 3, then hit Ctrl+c in the urxvt and killed the xterm. The background colour for desktop 3 in the bar changed to reflect there was no longer an opened window on it. Is that what is not happening for you? Or is it a particular app it happens with? Or is it something else?
Seems to be fine here but that seems to mean little... smile

I've added AltSuper to the Mod key options for snapwm.

#400 2012-09-22 03:29:57

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

Phil, I used the while loop part of your file when starting dminiwm, opened a urxvt on desktop 1, started a xterm from the urxvt and sent it to desktop 3, then hit Ctrl+c in the urxvt and killed the xterm. The background colour for desktop 3 in the bar changed to reflect there was no longer an opened window on it. Is that what is not happening for you? Or is it a particular app it happens with? Or is it something else?
Seems to be fine here but that seems to mean little... smile

Hmmmm, can't reproduce it any longer. I think it may be that the program on the inacttive desktop actually crashed, so that may have caused the issue. Further bulletins as events warrant. :-)

I've added AltSuper to the Mod key options for snapwm.

Hurray! But I can't seem to make it work even after a recent git pull. Here are some lines from a key.conf (for debugging purposes) which illustrates the issue:

CMD xtermcmd;xterm;NULL;
CMD altxtermcmd;xterm;NULL;
KEY Super;t;spawn;xtermcmd;
KEY AltSuper;t;spawn;altxtermcmd;

The first binding works for me, but not the second.

Board footer